Prospect Info: 2015 Draft Amateur Scouting Project

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Hey Guys, I know a lot of us are really into prospects and the draft , especially this one since the Flyers have so many draft picks and I thought it would be fun if a few of us decided to do a little amateur scouting project.

Just a quick heads up, This will be time consuming and it would require having Hockeystreams or some other way to view prospects.

If you are still interested please read on.

The plan is to assign people who sign up to view prospects that they are interested in. Since many of the CHL games are on hockeystreams , those prospects will be easy to view. The international prospects will be much harder to scout , however there are some wjc and `18 and under championships games on Hockeystreams which will be the primary scources for these games. Appleyard may also be able to see more games since he lives in europe currently but would have to find out about that later.

The "initial" scout would view the player in 3-5 games on hockeystreams and single that player out. I think the best way to observe these guys would be to do so later in the year against top competition for instance during a playoff series .

We would then have an "area" scout who would scout more than 1 player but instead of 3-5 games it would be just 3 games.

We would then present the scouting information of a single player on a single day leading up to the draft. For example, lets say 2 people signed up to view crouse . They would view him and write their reports independantly and then submit those reports to me. Then the area scout would present their report to me and then they would be submitted. The player profile we would build would then discussed for the day and then the next day we would move on to the next player and so on and so on.

Since this is our first time setting this up and its already close to the draft I would just want to focus on players who will be around the Flyers draf pick at 7.

A list of players to scout would include the following :

Pavel Zacha
Ivan Provorov
Lawson Crouse
Zach Werenski - mainly wjc games
Noah Hanifan - mainly wjc games
Mitch Marner
Dylan Strome
Mikko Ratananen - mainly wjc games
Mathew Barzal

I would also like to scout Kyle Connor but again i think viewing will be hard to come by so that is why I left him out. I also included some guys who will realistically not be available by the time we pick only to serve as a comparison for the guys who will be there when we pick. The area scout will play an important role in viewing these guys, but more on that later.

If you are interested just say it, and then give a top 3 of guys who you would like to scout. If you are interested in being an Area Scout then just say " I am interested in being an Area Scout" and then you will be assigned an area.

4thline4life

Jul 12, 2010
Cool idea but one suggestion id have would be the 3-5 games equally staggered across the season. Judging a player based mostly on the end of the year doesn't give the full picture. I think Taking a look at the season as a whole would give someone a better idea imo as players go through ups and downs during the year. Just because someone struggled in the playoffs doesn't necessarily mean they don't have potential. Just a suggestion though.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
thats a good point. I think whoever scouts should have free range on how to do it. So if you want to look at the player and how they develop over the year that is cool, if you want to see them in an intense playoff series that is equally as cool

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad