2015 Coaches Poll

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com

NaughtyDog

Aug 4, 2010
Nice list. Few things on Ho-Sang. He is easily the best playmaker in the East, no question. I don't care if Lebanc has more points and everyone despises everything else about Ho-Sang's style of game, Josh sees the ice like no other in the OHL. He is truly amazing to watch. With that being said, he absolutely sucks in the shootout lol. He's 1 for 5 this year and should not be #1.

icepups

Jul 11, 2014
Wow. All of the IceDogs fans coming out of the woodwork. I too have a slight beef with the list. Perlini doesn't have the hardest shot on the IceDogs with at least Siebenaler's being harder and I believe Mantha as well. I also would have given consideration to Vince Dunn in the best skater catgegory.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Nice list. Few things on Ho-Sang. He is easily the best playmaker in the East, no question. I don't care if Lebanc has more points and everyone despises everything else about Ho-Sang's style of game, Josh sees the ice like no other in the OHL. He is truly amazing to watch. With that being said, he absolutely sucks in the shootout lol. He's 1 for 5 this year and should not be #1.

Not too many players in the East are having success in the shootout this year.

Last year Ho-Sang was 2 for 3 in his attempts.

If I'm picking 3 players from the Eastern Conference to shoot for me in a shootout, Ho-Sang is one of them because of his creativity with the puck.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Verhaghe #2 on face-offs? He's not even the best on his own team. Williamson sends out Maletta for every important face-off.

Faceoffs are a tough one to do for this list (the toughest). From my perspective, I spread the wealth when it comes to viewings. Die hard fans of a particular team are going to be more in tune with the top faceoff guys because they watch one team consistently.

From my end, Verhaeghe has always stood out as being strong on the draw (at least in my notes whenever I see the Dogs play). Just a solid all around player. Thus the inclusion on my list.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Thanks for throwing it out there Brock.
Gets some good Convo going.
Gotta be tough to do a list based on the whole league. I'm sure if any of us did it from scratch Wed get questioned as well by fans of a team with up to 60 viewings ( in a year

Magine

Mar 9, 2015
London Ontario
Dvo making the list for most improved is tough as many thought he was a highly skilled player before being injured last year.

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
I think overall great list, but i might add to Most Underrated another Swiss, Baltisberger. I don't think there is a better player in the league at shutting down and covering McDavid and he goes about the game very quietly but very effective. Just look at McDavids Point totals when Baltisberger is in and the game he was suspended for where McDavid lit up Guelph.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
McCarron didn't end up top-4 for most improved player? Lol, what? He went from utter crap to being moved for a 1st round pick and change.

He also went from just under a goal a game this year with London to just under a goal every 5 games with Oshawa.

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
He also went from just under a goal a game this year with London to just under a goal every 5 games with Oshawa.

.86 PPG in Oshawa and effective physically and defensively.

Maletta was a decent player last year who was quite a bit better than McCarron then. I guess I'm not seeing how Maletta improved more than McCarron when Maletta's baseline before the season was already quite a bit higher.

McCarron was a pun of jokes before this season!

fishfan51

Sep 7, 2008
Niagara Falls
.86 PPG in Oshawa and effective physically and defensively.

Maletta was a decent player last year who was quite a bit better than McCarron then. I guess I'm not seeing how Maletta improved more than McCarron when Maletta's baseline before the season was already quite a bit higher.

McCarron was a pun of jokes before this season!

Maletta has improved his overall game a lot. He takes every important face-off, kills penalties, shuts down the opposing teams big guns. (McDavid has gone pointless only twice all season and that was when he was up against Maletta for most of the night.). He's also chipped in with a 20 goal season.

McCarron might have better numbers offensively, but I think Maletta doesn't get near the credit he's deserves by the fans this year. I'm glad the coaches recognize his game at both ends of the ice.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I am surprised, Slater Doggett was not on the most improved list right there with Nick Betz, 17 more goals almost double the points, coming from a decent team to a team that failed to make the playoffs, while Betz who has improved a lot since last season, has played on a top 2-3 team both seasons, and most often with McDavid or Strome, especially this year

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Maletta has improved his overall game a lot. He takes every important face-off, kills penalties, shuts down the opposing teams big guns. (McDavid has gone pointless only twice all season and that was when he was up against Maletta for most of the night.). He's also chipped in with a 20 goal season.

McCarron might have better numbers offensively, but I think Maletta doesn't get near the credit he's deserves by the fans this year. I'm glad the coaches recognize his game at both ends of the ice.

McC has been asked to play a different role in shwa than in London centering MeMe.
He plays PK, defends top guys, is physical, stands up for teammates, takes big draws and still contributes points on a deep team.
One of Shwas most important Fs moving forward.

Last edited:

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
I am surprised, Slater Doggett was not on the most improved list right there with Nick Betz, 17 more goals almost double the points, coming from a decent team to a team that failed to make the playoffs, while Betz who has improved a lot since last season, has played on a top 2-3 team both seasons, and most often with McDavid or Strome, especially this year
Betz had 0 skill last year. And although he has played with Mcdavid or Strome (mostly Strome) he has played on the top 2 lines because he has kinda earned it himself. Last year he was just a stiff skater who didn't use his body. His mobility and skill with the puck is much improved and if he was where he was at last year he would have been on the 3rd line at best this year. Does a lot of little things good as well. Went from bottom 3rd to 4th line guy to a respectable 2nd line big body guy and largely did that on his own as his individual talent is night and day 10x better than last year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad