GWT: 2015 Club World Cup

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
December 10-20, with Japan hosting this years tournament.

Games will be played in Yokohama and Osaka. The Yokohama stadium previously hosted the 2002 World Cup Final.

Schedule:

Preliminary round
Dec 10, 5.45 AM ET - Auckland (NZ) v Sanfrecce Hiroshima (JAP)

Quarter Finals
Dec 13, 2.00 AM ET - Club América (MEX) v Guangzhou Evergrande (CHN)
Dec 13, 5.30 AM ET - TP Mazembe (DRC) v winner preliminary round

Semi Finals
Dec 16, 5.30 AM ET - River Plate (ARG) v winner QF2
Dec 17, 5.30 AM ET - FC Barcelona (ESP) v winner QF1

Third Place Match
Dec 20, 2.00 AM ET

Final
Dec 20, 5.30 AM ET

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
**** this tournament tbh

yeah let's have footballers play some glorified exhibition games in the middle of the season, because they don't need to rest

And it's not like it's gonna be a long flight either for some teams

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
You could say that playing bottom teams in their league are glorified exhibition games as well for Barça/Real/Bayern etc..

I like this tournament though, having club teams from different continents play eachother. Barça v River Plate could be fun to watch.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Nah they're gonna want to win this

Also, they have a 10-day break after the final before their next Liga game at home to Betis

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Usually watch this tournament but with it being in Japan the games are way too early for me

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
this held so much more meaning for me when it was the Intercontinental Cup, straight up Europe vs S.America one game and that's it.

Remember seeing the 2000 finals when Boca beat Madrid was an awesome game.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
this held so much more meaning for me when it was the Intercontinental Cup, straight up Europe vs S.America one game and that's it.

Remember seeing the 2000 finals when Boca beat Madrid was an awesome game.

Ah yeah the good old formula was good, usually held in Tokyo

Porto vs Penarol was messy with all the snow, but Madjer scored a great goal in that one

But the best one was the Rai show vs Barcelona.

Damn Rai was awesome

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
You could say that playing bottom teams in their league are glorified exhibition games as well for Barça/Real/Bayern etc..

I like this tournament though, having club teams from different continents play eachother. Barça v River Plate could be fun to watch.

Monterrey didn't make the playoffs of the LigaMX Apertura so they've been off for some time.

River Plate ebbed off after winning the Libertadores and ended up mid table for this season. They were eliminated last month from the Copa Sudamericana and won't be playing anything significant until the new year.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Guangzhou are through to the SF thanks to a 2-1 win over América. Former Tottenham midfielder Paulinho scored the winning goal in the 93th minute.

Sanfrecce Hiroshima are also through after an easy 3-0 win over African CL winners TP Mazembe of Congo.

River Plate will now play Sanfrecce on Wednesday, Barcelona play Guangzhou on Thursday.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
River Plate beat Sanfrecce 1-0 and will advance to Sunday's final

Even though Sanfrecce were extremely defensive minded in the first half, they had the best chances on the counter attack but failed to convert.
River had most of the possession and Lucas Alario headed in a rebound halfway through the second half.
After that, Sanfrecce were pretty much done as they tried to set up a late offensive but River held them off easily.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Barça lead Guangzhou 1-0 at the half (Suarez goal)

Pretty uneventful so far apart from a Chinese player breaking his leg.. went down awkwardly after a clash with Dani Alves and his leg bent the wrong way :baghead: pretty gruesome

edit: 3-0 final - Suarez hattrick

Last edited:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Sorry for being stupid but how does this actually work? Barcelona's playing the final on the 20th in Japan but they also have a league match in Spain the same day?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Sorry for being stupid but how does this actually work? Barcelona's playing the final on the 20th in Japan but they also have a league match in Spain the same day?

They don't play the league match... the rest of the league plays normally but Barca aren't scheduled to play that day.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
They don't play the league match... the rest of the league plays normally but Barca aren't scheduled to play that day.

Aha OK, thanks, my local sports site lists them as playing Sporting Gijon the same day, that's why I was confused.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad