Speculation: 2015 - 2016 Roster Talk (Part IV): Darby Hendrickson Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Wow, so Patrick Roy sees Gormley as a potential top-4 defenseman, as many others on this board did.

It's almost as if, Tippett and Maloney are bad at evaluating and developing talent. Don't worry though, we have one of Tippett's extremely untalented and old friends (Nik Grossman) to play for us instead.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
It may be possible that Gormley becomes a top 4 defenseman but it's unlikely he becomes the #1 PP QB he was projected to be

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Well, that's super relevant bc we dont need anymore solid defensemen on this team. Especially young ones. We ONLY need a #1 PP QB, so good trade...

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I'm not defending the trade but I'm going to wait for the season to be at least half over before writing Elliot off.

But it is perplexing. Maybe there was truth to the rumours Gormley wanted out.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Just feeling snarkier than usual, sorry. I don't think Gormley got a fair chance to show anything at this level. It's also true he didn't light the world afire when he did play, but young dmen rarely do. Yandle was awful. Suchy started terrible. Prospects need time to adjust.
I still don't trust this organization's ability to evaluate young talent.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I'm not defending the trade but I'm going to wait for the season to be at least half over before writing Elliot off.

How could he have after he was treated so fairly here? I mean Campbell is still here and is a top 4 dman so it's all his fault he couldn't beat him for a job.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Gormley lost his job to Dahlbeck, not Grossmann. They play entirely different roles.

Grossmann is taking up a left side spot. He'll probably be out of the league once his contract is up. Also one of Tippett's chosen ones, same as Dahlbeck. Gormley never stood a chance.

Gormley turning into a top 4 for the Avs might be just enough to get some of you off the fence on Tippett.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
If Gormley just plays well this season as a regular that should be enough to get Tippett fired. We absolutely can not have a coach that refuses to develop our youth. If we were a team that signed top end FAs instead of Tippett's slow, non-scoring buddies it might be ok. Turris should still be a sore spot for this organization. Having Gormley leave and turn right into a regular should be a solid kick in the nuts.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Turris is the only Tip era prospect to amount to anything with another team and I blame that mistake on DM not Tip.

If Gormley succeeds and Grossmann sucks then yes, I'll blame Tippett. Until then he's got my confidence.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Turris is the only Tip era prospect to amount to anything with another team and I blame that mistake on DM not Tip.

If Gormley succeeds and Grossmann sucks then yes, I'll blame Tippett. Until then he's got my confidence.

Why? Turris said it was the fact that he didn't get quality ice time under Tippett so that he could bargain a good bridge contract that caused him to want to jump ship. How is that Maloney's fault? Ice time is Tippett's domain.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
DM took him out of school before he was ready. That was the problem. Turris wouldn't see it that way.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB

What sane person in Gormley's shoes would NOT have wanted out?

If anyone can give me a single reason supporting Gormley wanting to stay with this franchise I'd love to hear it.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
DM took him out of school before he was ready. That was the problem. Turris wouldn't see it that way.

As I recall, Maloney didn't want to take him out of school. Turris and his agent demanded it.

He didn't get the ice time he thought he deserved because Tippett wanted him to have a complete two-way game at 21 years old or he wouldn't play him in a bunch of situations. Turris demanded out.

Now he's a 26 year old right handed center who just put up a 64 point season and has gotten some pretty good playoff experience along the way. It's commendable that Maloney converted a bad situation into some nice assets, but we're still lacking that young 1C - the one we drafted at the bottom of the last rebuild.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Gormley turning into a top 4 for the Avs might be just enough to get some of you off the fence on Tippett.
I was in Anaheim for Ducks/Avs on Thursday (oh, the things we do for women ...) and based off that viewing, Gormley isn't off to a great start. Lost speed battles. Lost physical battles. Turned the puck over. He wasn't terrible but he wasn't great either. Yes, it's the Ducks, but I didn't see a guy who looks likely to hold down a top 4 role in COL.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I was in Anaheim for Ducks/Avs on Thursday (oh, the things we do for women ...) and based off that viewing, Gormley isn't off to a great start. Lost speed battles. Lost physical battles. Turned the puck over. He wasn't terrible but he wasn't great either. Yes, it's the Ducks, but I didn't see a guy who looks likely to hold down a top 4 role in COL.

That's good to hear.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Gormley was always a step behind in the NHL it seemed. Whether due to injury or something else, that can't be denied.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
Grossmann is taking up a left side spot. He'll probably be out of the league once his contract is up. Also one of Tippett's chosen ones, same as Dahlbeck. Gormley never stood a chance.

Of course if Gormley doesn't turn into a top 4 then some might need to revisit which side of said fence they should be inhabiting.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Of course if Gormley doesn't turn into a top 4 then some might need to revisit which side of said fence they should be inhabiting.

Yep, that's what it'll come down to. Not the years of losing. Not the years of bad decisions. Not the years devoid of creativity. Just Gormley. Absolutely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->