2015-2016 Europa League Part II

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Great preparation from Klopp that match. Everything in Liverpool's defense seemed to work really well. Every rare mistake was compensated for quite well.

On the Dortmund side, Hummels (like Piszczek and Bender) bears a little of the responsibility for the goal against for mistiming his step-up into midfield. Otherwise he had a great night. I didn't even marvel at that pass into the penalty area like some other posters. He seems to make a pass like that almost every match in the second half of the season. I also thought that Weigl played extremely well. Weidenfeller obviously made several great saves. Piszczek, Durm, Castro, Reus, and Aubameyang were bad or awful. In hindsight, Tuchel should have opted for a more technical (Sahin for Castro and Castro for Durm) and been more willing to bring on Pulisic or Kagawa earlier. This match strengthened my suspicions that Kagawa will be gone in the summer if even Pulisic is preferred to him as a sub. Mkhi played very well for stretches but it was a hard match for him. Dortmund can play a lot better and almost certainly will if Gündogan indeed comes back for the second leg.

Oh and the referee was quite inconsistent.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'd just like to point out that it's kind of discrediting to Liverpool with people just claiming that Dortmund didn't play well. While maybe they can play to a higher standard it was also in large part that Liverpool were making them uncomfortable and playing really well in the defensive third. Liverpool certainly belonged on that pitch with Dortmund, and had more real scoring chances (in a game away from home).

hersky77 said:
Putting flano or smith into a game of this magnitude would have been awful.

Yeah, except Flanagan absolutely bossed Manchester City in the last big game he got put into. He's got ten times the composure and steel that Moreno does and I would much, much prefer Flanagan to Moreno in any situation. Just a silly comment. Moreno is awful.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Liverpool has a habit of making top teams play worse, as seen in their away results against bigger teams since Klopp took over. The obvious issue with Liverpool is that they sometimes have a difficult time linking midfield to attack. As bad as Henderson has been of late, it is possible that him being out could benefit Liverpool. He was very clearly injured even before suffering that knee injury and didn't look like the same player as in previous seasons at all.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I agree. I love Henderson but he's been off ever since the foot injury. I can't tell if it's physical or psychological, but Allen has been far superior to him this season.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Didn't watch the game, but I suppose Sakho came up big in a big game, as always?

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
He played well. He did give the ball away a bit, made a few dangerous choices and generally looked awkward as usual, but he's effective.

The problem is, if you only see him in bits and spurts, he's gangly, uncoordinated and makes a few crazy plays that you wonder what in the world he is thinking. However, he's trying, he throws his body at the ball, and generally he gets the job done. With his abilities, his experience and his pedigree, you expect much more, but you don't always see the finished product.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Didn't watch the game, but I suppose Sakho came up big in a big game, as always?

He needs to be sharper with the ball than he was yesterday if he ever hopes to cement a spot for a giant or your NT, but he stopped 2-3 goals from going into the net and was absolutely massive defensively for his side in the first half. His, and to a lesser (though still significant) extent Lovren's, interventions are the biggest reason Liverpool managed to take a draw back to Anfield.

Things slowed down after the 55-60 minute mark, and Sakho wasn't needed to make as much of an impact; as both teams showed a lack of ambition in that period of play...BVB seeming content to just hold onto possession and save their legs for the derby on the weekend; while LFC gave up on playing the ball out, resorting to hoofing it to Origi until the draw was sealed.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Sakho is bipolar. Some games he is brilliant, some games he makes me cringe every time the ball is at his feet.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Sakho is probably the most awkward looking player in possession and you are scared to death that he will turn it over but he seems to always find the open guy and he is actually very effective with the ball at his feet. It's very weird and I can see some people watching him wondering how in hell he is rated by Liverpool fans. But other than that he is brilliant. He read the plays extremely well, he is good at blocking the ball and he is a beast in the air. He is always very aggressive and wins a good bunch of 50-50 and tackles.
The only issue I have with Sakho it's a lack of offense. It would be nice for one of our centerbacks to score a goal once in while.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
I watched the extended highlights of the Villarreal v Prague game. It's nothing short of a miracle that Villarreal only scored twice :laugh: I've rarely seen that many wide open chances in a European QF game. Bakambu alone should have had 5 goals. The Czech goalie made a terrible mistake on the first goal but was brilliant after that.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The issue with Sakho isn't that he looks awkward it's that he's extremely inconsistent. It wouldn't be so bad if he had more good games than bad games, but he has more awful games than excellent games at least right now.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
The issue with Sakho isn't that he looks awkward it's that he's extremely inconsistent. It wouldn't be so bad if he had more good games than bad games, but he has more awful games than excellent games at least right now.

I disagree he was huge versus United and Dortmund.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I disagree he was huge versus United and Dortmund.

He was good in one game against United but he was awful against Spurs and Southampton pretty meh against City and average against Palace.

He was great against Dortmund for the most part but still one game doesn't make a player.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
He was good in one game against United but he was awful against Spurs and Southampton pretty meh against City and average against Palace.

Southampton?
The first half he was good the second half was more Skrtel than anything.
He is not a world class centerback but he is not as bad as some haters claim him to be. He is by far the best option at left back and his inconsistencies are overstated.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Truth be told I'm most afraid of Dortmund because they can replace a big name like Aubameyang with another big name like Mkhitaryan or Papastathopoulos

:sarcasm:

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
The big game of the week is tonight! I predict an incredible atmosphere at Anfield, Liverpool to come out and play, and ultimately lose 2-1 near the end of the 90min.

Shakhtar Sevilla and maybe a slight chance for Sparta.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I hope Liverpool destroys Dortmund and actually makes good on the chances they create this time.

Either way it's going to be a great game, great atmosphere, and Liverpool can be pretty proud of how it has gone so far as pretty big underdogs (to most people anyway).

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
You expect Liverpool to play attacking football today or be cautious? Because the first option would be great for neutral fans and possibly play in Dortmund's hands. The Anfield crowd is really the best "12th" man in club football though.

theprofessor

Jan 18, 2016
Dortmund will be rested and will play better. Should have Gündoğan back, and Aubameyang is the best player on the pitch. Die Schwarzgelben sind stark.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
You expect Liverpool to play attacking football today or be cautious? Because the first option would be great for neutral fans and possibly play in Dortmund's hands. The Anfield crowd is really the best "12th" man in club football though.

Maybe 7-8 years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad