Speculation: 2015 - 2016 Coyotes Roster Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Crap. I hope this means that they're not planning to flip Dahlbeck. He obviously has more value than Connauton and Tinordi in a trade but that's because he's better than either of them.

K-Conn is a fine 7D. No more than that though. It's nice that he can play all three zones which means whichever type of defenseman goes down for injury he can play that role.

I'm glad Tinordi sounds like he is part of the rebuild. Even if he is just a bottom pairing guy.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Yeah, I guess only the Oilers would consider it. They might grab Juolevi or Sergachev with the 7th and parlay the 3 20s picks for a Myers or Hamonic type.
Well presumably that's a good thing if you want that scenario to happen because if one thing is a lock it's that the Oilers will win the draft lottery. *******.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Yeah, I guess only the Oilers would consider it. They might grab Juolevi or Sergachev with the 7th and parlay the 3 20s picks for a Myers or Hamonic type.

... why wouldn't the Coyotes do that? 7th + something would get you Trouba.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
I think the rebuild is going along really well. At this point though, I would like to see two things. I would like us to end up with a top 5 pick at the draft. Going for wins now is the right thing for team morale and so on so I would not want them to stop trying but I hope they drop down a few more places as I think this will be the last real good haul of prospects that we need to turn things around.

The other thing I would like to see is us solidify one defense spot before the deadline. Either pick up a partner for OEL or a 3rd d-man. I think if we could snag Trouba or Vatanan or even Fowler, we would be well on the way to having a pretty solid defense and since the forward group is well into the rebuild, this would help the back end catch up. Next year we could be quite competitive.

Obviously this would come at a cost but it would set us up well for the long haul. With a respectable team on the ice, we should attract UFA's also if it seems a good idea to sign one or or two we would have the opportunity to do so.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think the rebuild is going along really well. At this point though, I would like to see two things. I would like us to end up with a top 5 pick at the draft. Going for wins now is the right thing for team morale and so on so I would not want them to stop trying but I hope they drop down a few more places as I think this will be the last real good haul of prospects that we need to turn things around.

The other thing I would like to see is us solidify one defense spot before the deadline. Either pick up a partner for OEL or a 3rd d-man. I think if we could snag Trouba or Vatanan or even Fowler, we would be well on the way to having a pretty solid defense and since the forward group is well into the rebuild, this would help the back end catch up. Next year we could be quite competitive.

Obviously this would come at a cost but it would set us up well for the long haul. With a respectable team on the ice, we should attract UFA's also if it seems a good idea to sign one or or two we would have the opportunity to do so.

I agree. I think next year will be a another exciting year for Coyote fans with the addition of two or three kids and hopefully a one or two additions on the blueline. TTD may be interesting as well, with the cap supposedly going down.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
I agree. I think next year will be a another exciting year for Coyote fans with the addition of two or three kids and hopefully a one or two additions on the blueline. TTD may be interesting as well, with the cap supposedly going down.

Some teams rush their rebuild and then have to blow it up again in 3 or 4 years and start over again. Toronto comes to mind. Other teams,(Oilers) never get the job done. But I think we are moving along at a respectable rate and doing a good job which will make us solid for years to come. Getting some of the D sown up and drafting well (hopefully Mathews) and I think we are in the thick of things from there on. The cap going down makes it possible for us to snag a quality player which will help even more. I am actually quite satisfied with how this is all going.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Some teams rush their rebuild and then have to blow it up again in 3 or 4 years and start over again. Toronto comes to mind. Other teams,(Oilers) never get the job done. But I think we are moving along at a respectable rate and doing a good job which will make us solid for years to come. Getting some of the D sown up and drafting well (hopefully Mathews) and I think we are in the thick of things from there on. The cap going down makes it possible for us to snag a quality player which will help even more. I am actually quite satisfied with how this is all going.

A rebuild is very painful and patience is key. I'm more than happy at where this team is with the rebuild, but I still believe we have one more rough year ahead before we really start to see results.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
A rebuild doesn't happen through the draft alone. We're not there yet, but at a certain point, you start trading picks and prospects for more established players. Teams like Chicago, Florida and Dallas have picked up some of their best players through the draft, but they've supplemented that core through aggressive trading and smart free agent pickups.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
A rebuild is very painful and patience is key. I'm more than happy at where this team is with the rebuild, but I still believe we have one more rough year ahead before we really start to see results.

A rebuild doesn't happen through the draft alone. We're not there yet, but at a certain point, you start trading picks and prospects for more established players. Teams like Chicago, Florida and Dallas have picked up some of their best players through the draft, but they've supplemented that core through aggressive trading and smart free agent pickups.

I agree which is why I hope we don't wait to draft a good defense-man but trade for one so we can start to have a respectable D core. I can't even begin to tell you how happy I would be if we could somehow acquire Trouba. He is tops on my wishlist. But there are lots of other good possibilities out there besides him. (I am speaking only of guys who might be available or I would change that to Eckblad but I have to be realistic.)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I agree completely.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

...and the willingness to spend....ah, never mind.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I agree which is why I hope we don't wait to draft a good defense-man but trade for one so we can start to have a respectable D core. I can't even begin to tell you how happy I would be if we could somehow acquire Trouba. He is tops on my wishlist. But there are lots of other good possibilities out there besides him. (I am speaking only of guys who might be available or I would change that to Eckblad but I have to be realistic.)

Yeah, Trouba would be perfect. It's rare to see guys like that get moved, but the Coyotes have a lot of assets.

...and the willingness to spend....ah, never mind.

The teams I mentioned are all fairly middle of the pack. Chicago is 9th in cap space, the Stars are 17th, and the Panthers are 21st.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Maloney is pretty aware of the stakes come draft time

Tanking for a high draft pick is often suspected, but rarely does an NHL general manager confess to doing it.

That's essentially what Arizona Coyotes general manager Don Maloney did Monday. Maloney was asked by Sports Illustrated's Alex Prewitt to explain how Coyotes defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson placed 17th in Norris Trophy voting last season.

"It's really reflective of our team," Maloney said. "Last year, we plunged. I did not do much to help our team (in) the last two months. If we were going to be bad, my attitude was, let's be real bad. There was a pretty big prize for being really bad."

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/960330

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I guess he's not as dumb as I thought. I've actually been relatively satisfied with his moves over the last year so. Still hate Tippett though.

Well, your getting there. Just be a little more patient and DT will show you why he is one of the best coaches in the NHL.:nod:

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Well, your getting there. Just be a little more patient and DT will show you why he is one of the best coaches in the NHL.:nod:

Actually no, because we've had one of the worst defenses in the league for four years now, on a team that traps like there's no tomorrow.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ

All I have to say is that Domi should be averaging 16+ min TOI this season. Duclair should be averaging close to 15 min TOI and neither are approaching that metric.

If we continue to see next year with the TOI the way it is this year, how much longer do we need to keep Dino Dave around?

We're going on 5 years w/o Playoff spot. Even bad teams with good coaches fire the coaches over less.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
All I have to say is that Domi should be averaging 16+ min TOI this season. Duclair should be averaging close to 15 min TOI and neither are approaching that metric.

If we continue to see next year with the TOI the way it is this year, how much longer do we need to keep Dino Dave around?

We're going on 5 years w/o Playoff spot. Even bad teams with good coaches fire the coaches over less.

I am sure more TOI for Domi/Duclair would help our worst in the NHL GAA:)

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
The NHL has to hate this statement by DM. I bet he is fined over it. We all know tanking goes on, but you can't admit to it publicly. It is bad for the NHL's image.

I don't see anything wrong with what he said. We were sellers. We sold. He could have tried to bring in players for immediate help but didn't. Big deal.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

I feel your frustration. I really do. That being said, neither of our rookies, nor the other 4 on the roster for that matter, are McDavids and none of them merit that much ice time in their rookie seasons. D and D are being sheltered a bit because of the holes in their defensive game. Next year they will see big minutes.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I am sure more TOI for Domi/Duclair would help our worst in the NHL GAA:)

Yeah, it's not like Duclair has the best possession stats on the team and leads the roster in +/- or anything. If we give him more ice-time he would destroy our defense (?), because he might score like Peter Forsberg again and excite the fans! Can't have that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad