Speculation: 2015 - 2016 Coyotes Roster Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I agree with rt that patience is key. I don't think Yandle will be back and I have my doubts about Tihonov.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
At this point, I'm content to sell off bit parts like Gordon and Grossmann for mid/late picks. I'd be happy to move Doan with a handshake agreement to re-sign him to a one or two year deal this summer, that is if he's actually looking to chase a cup this year. Other than that, I want to re-sign Boedker and keep guys like Hanzal and Stone that are popular in trade proposals right now. Mostly I just want to stand pat and be patient.

The player I really want this summer is Keith Yandle. I'd be fine if that's all we did as far as major moves this summer.

Domi-Strome-Boedker
Rieder-Hanzal-Duclair
Dvorak-Vermette-Doan
Nook-Richardson-Tikh

OEL-Murphy
Yandle-Michalek
Dahlbeck-Stone
I'd be ok with this (just for next year though) other than you need to flip Z & Stone, but you will need another Dman, because you know no way Z makes it through a season.

The year after next is when they need to push for higher quality Dmen.

I agree ctwin, that a year from now is when we need to get very serious about upgrades and face lifts and prepping for contention. Hard to do before we really know what we've got in Murphy, Dahlbeck and Stone. We will be a lot closer to wysiwyg territory with them in a year.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Starting this summer, the Coyotes need to get serious about winning. Standing pat shouldn't be an option. Miss out on Yandle and you're probably watching **** tier hockey for another year, possibly even worse due to sophmore slumps and guys getting older. Hanzal could be a shambling mess by then. That lineup only looks passable if everything goes right. We know it won't, and that's not how you plan for success.

Banking on UFAs being available and then missing out will lead to horrible hockey or a horrible trade. Better to cast off the pieces that realistically can be lost at the deadline and maintain your flexibility.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
I agree ctwin, that a year from now is when we need to get very serious about upgrades and face lifts and prepping for contention. Hard to do before we really know what we've got in Murphy, Dahlbeck and Stone. We will be a lot closer to wysiwyg territory with them in a year.
I wouldn't mind us upgrading one of the three this year but I kind of want one more good draft haul too.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Starting this summer, the Coyotes need to get serious about winning. Standing pat shouldn't be an option. Miss out on Yandle and you're probably watching **** tier hockey for another year, possibly even worse due to sophmore slumps and guys getting older. Hanzal could be a shambling mess by then. That lineup only looks passable if everything goes right. We know it won't, and that's not how you plan for success.

Banking on UFAs being available and then missing out will lead to horrible hockey or a horrible trade. Better to cast off the pieces that realistically can be lost at the deadline and maintain your flexibility.

With how little impact Vermette has provided on most nights this season, I'm nervous about moving Hanzal. It's important to be able to insulate Strome in year one. At this point, my top priority would be taking every possible precaution out there to ensure that Strome's development is not hindered in any preventable way.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
With how little impact Vermette has provided on most nights this season, I'm nervous about moving Hanzal. It's important to be able to insulate Strome in year one. At this point, my top priority would be taking every possible precaution out there to ensure that Strome's development is not hindered in any preventable way.

A defensive 3C can be had on the UFA market. Hanzal doesn't shelter Strome when he's on the IR. His return, along with Boedker's, is the only way this team is going to get the flexibility it needs to make the trades necessary to set up the roster for the years to come.

Strome's insulation depends more on coaching than personnel anyways.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

We are rebuilding so I doubt we will stand pat as we will probably add two or three more kids next year, and I wouldn't expect us to be a playoff team. We have plenty of flexibility for next year and I doubt Yandle comes back.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

:laugh: you tell 'em bubba!

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
What is our cap situation going to be like next year? We will lose some contracts like Grossman, Chipchura, and Downie. We also are likely to see Doan stay for less. Boedker will get a raise. Our RFAs include Murphy, Stone, Elliot, Rieder, and Dahlbeck. We also will need to fill a backup goalie spot with RFA Domingue or finding a backup.

How likely is it that we can absorb Yandle and still get those RFAs under deals? Yes, some will be on bridge deals, but it seems that what we lose in FA and the decrease in Doan deal will be offset quite a bit by the Boedker signing and other RFAs. Feeling that in order get things done as posters have recommended, we have to shed at least an additional $2+ million to support that.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Probably not possible but I'd rather trade Vermette and Z for flexibility than Hanzal and Boeds.

Not saying that I don't disagree with this idea, but a rebuilding team like ourselves will likely have to send picks to a team as well to force them to take Vermette or Michalek, given their reduced production this and in perceived future years. I suppose you could say the same for Hanzal, but Hanzal can fill a more specific role than Z or Vermette and is more likely to be that "piece" that a contending team needs. Z and Vermette riding out their contracts is a better situation, IMO.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Probably not possible but I'd rather trade Vermette and Z for flexibility than Hanzal and Boeds.

Not worth much and they have NTCs. Bonus if they get traded but I wouldn't count on it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What is our cap situation going to be like next year? We will lose some contracts like Grossman, Chipchura, and Downie. We also are likely to see Doan stay for less. Boedker will get a raise. Our RFAs include Murphy, Stone, Elliot, Rieder, and Dahlbeck. We also will need to fill a backup goalie spot with RFA Domingue or finding a backup.

How likely is it that we can absorb Yandle and still get those RFAs under deals? Yes, some will be on bridge deals, but it seems that what we lose in FA and the decrease in Doan deal will be offset quite a bit by the Boedker signing and other RFAs. Feeling that in order get things done as posters have recommended, we have to shed at least an additional $2+ million to support that.

We will have a ton of money and flexibility. Second year of a rebuild where we will likely address our D and goal tending. No need to spend foolishly next year as it will probably be similar to this year.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

I don't think any of our RFA's will command serious money. They are also RFA's and have zero leverage. I am also not sure Doan will be back.

The goalie position is by committee, a back up goalie shouldn't be expensive since we will still be stuck with Smith as out number 1 and his contract. I don't see us paying 3 mill+ for another goalie.

The most important off season move is either landing Yandle, or landing via UFA or trade an top pairing RHD. We need at least one of those to happen for our D to be any better next year. A few of the RFA's might get traded in the process.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I don't think any of our RFA's will command serious money. They are also RFA's and have zero leverage. I am also not sure Doan will be back.

The goalie position is by committee, a back up goalie shouldn't be expensive since we will still be stuck with Smith as out number 1 and his contract. I don't see us paying 3 mill+ for another goalie.

The most important off season move is either landing Yandle, or landing via UFA or trade an top pairing RHD. We need at least one of those to happen for our D to be any better next year. A few of the RFA's might get traded in the process.

Does Pronger count against our cap this year? Wouldn't he be off the books next year?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Does Pronger count against our cap this year? Wouldn't he be off the books next year?

Pronger doesn't really "count against the cap" in the traditional sense. His total cost to the Coyotes is 575k cash.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
LTIR counts against the cap, but you are allowed to go over the cap by that amount during the season. Teams want to get rid of the hit for the offseason though, where it does count against the cap

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Should we talk more about how good Murphy has been since he was sat out.

I've been really enjoying his physicality. I think he's been more aggressive offensively too since we put him with oel. I think he having to cover for grossman's lack of range a lot when he was with him.

Truthfully I don't think our dmen are they bad, I think most of our coverage issues are poor communication between our forwards and D on who has who.

I think dahlbeck could be a second pair guy, but ideally we have someone to push him to the third next year (please please yandle) and we need someone to play top pair with oel (small hope Murphy is that guy long term but more likely he's a second pairing guy). If we get those two things I think we'd have a good enough D core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad