Speculation: 2015 - 2016 Coyotes Roster Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We wouldn't be in this pickle on D if Rundblad and Gormley turned out. Both busts.

So true, and the reason we have to be careful with expectations with our young players. Domi took 2 years of development and Duclair was up for a few games last year and was sent back down. Reider did not make the club at the start of last year, but was a pleasant surprise. So far this year, Domi/Duclair are ahead of expectations, Reider is better then last year, and Dahlback/Martinook are playing well. They are all solid NHL players at this point. We have 4 young wingers having success, but that is the easiest position to break into the NHL. Dahlback is a 5/6 D, so more limited in his roll, but I bet the Hawks wish they had him.

Next year, expectations are high for Strome/Davorak. 1C/2C is a way tougher transition, and it could take 2 or 3 years for either to fill those rolls. We will have more guys like Lessio/HS/Gormley/Runblad that just don't work out, not sure who they will be yet. We need to be careful with penciling guys in to major rolls before they are even in the NHL, even though all of our youth is working out pretty well this year so far.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I wouldn't give up on hank just yet, he looked good last year in the ahl playoffs, he was hurt this year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
So true, and the reason we have to be careful with expectations with our young players. Domi took 2 years of development and Duclair was up for a few games last year and was sent back down. Reider did not make the club at the start of last year, but was a pleasant surprise. So far this year, Domi/Duclair are ahead of expectations, Reider is better then last year, and Dahlback/Martinook are playing well. They are all solid NHL players at this point. We have 4 young wingers having success, but that is the easiest position to break into the NHL. Dahlback is a 5/6 D, so more limited in his roll, but I bet the Hawks wish they had him.

Next year, expectations are high for Strome/Davorak. 1C/2C is a way tougher transition, and it could take 2 or 3 years for either to fill those rolls. We will have more guys like Lessio/HS/Gormley/Runblad that just don't work out, not sure who they will be yet. We need to be careful with penciling guys in to major rolls before they are even in the NHL, even though all of our youth is working out pretty well this year so far.

I agree. Strome is our only blue chip prospect at the moment.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I agree. Strome is our only blue chip prospect at the moment.

Define "blue chip" please. If you see "blue chip" players as true game changers, most competitive teams have but one, a few have two. It is the quality of the supporting cast which elevates teams to Stanley Cup contention. I think that we have a tremendous supporting cast in the making to support Domi, OEL and Strome.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Define "blue chip" please. If you see "blue chip" players as true game changers, most competitive teams have but one, a few have two. It is the quality of the supporting cast which elevates teams to Stanley Cup contention. I think that we have a tremendous supporting cast in the making to support Domi, OEL and Strome.

I hope Strome will be on the same level as a Stamkos, I think he is that good. Our supporting cast is looking good, but I expect a couple of busts out of the group. This years draft will be very important.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

As far as forwards go, I think we have some good young forwards on the roster with more coming. If Hanzal some how avoids injuries, and we sign Bods, I would feel great about our depth at forward. If hanzal is out off and on like he is now, and we have to trade bods because he doesn't sign, that will kill our depth at forward.

On D, we had Dmo/Klesla age out, Yandle got traded, and Gormley/Runblad were busts, which has left a giant hole on D. We have nothing in the pipe to fill it and D take longer to develop anyway. Next year, lets assume we keep Bods, Hanzal stays healthy, and Strome/Davorak make the team. It won't change our fortunes with our current D. Z/Grossman are going to get worse, OEL should be at the same level, Murphy could improve a little, and I think Stone is who he is. Maybe Dalhback improves to being a middle pairing D man.

We have to hope we can sign Yandle as a UFA or land a top pairing RHD in a trade. The top pairing RHD is obviously more important, but will cost more in terms of assets. If we could do both some how, we would be a dangerous team next year. If we do neither, we will not improve much as a club next year. Last I checked, we were 9th in scoring this year even with our poor PP, but next to last in GAA, our biggest problem that needs to be solved.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
As far as forwards go, I think we have some good young forwards on the roster with more coming. If Hanzal some how avoids injuries, and we sign Bods, I would feel great about our depth at forward. If hanzal is out off and on like he is now, and we have to trade bods because he doesn't sign, that will kill our depth at forward.

On D, we had Dmo/Klesla age out, Yandle got traded, and Gormley/Runblad were busts, which has left a giant hole on D. We have nothing in the pipe to fill it and D take longer to develop anyway. Next year, lets assume we keep Bods, Hanzal stays healthy, and Strome/Davorak make the team. It won't change our fortunes with our current D. Z/Grossman are going to get worse, OEL should be at the same level, Murphy could improve a little, and I think Stone is who he is. Maybe Dalhback improves to being a middle pairing D man.

We have to hope we can sign Yandle as a UFA or land a top pairing RHD in a trade. The top pairing RHD is obviously more important, but will cost more in terms of assets. If we could do both some how, we would be a dangerous team next year. If we do neither, we will not improve much as a club next year. Last I checked, we were 9th in scoring this year even with our poor PP, but next to last in GAA, our biggest problem that needs to be solved.

I think that the order that we need to set up our roster is as follows:

1. Make a long-term decision on either Boedker or Hanzal. Not both. Once Hanzal's deal is up after 16-17 season, we would be looking at a combined $7-8 million to keep both of them, or about 40-60% of that to keep one of them. That remaining $2.5+ million or so saved can potentially be used on defense. As for C depth, we will have the following players on payroll who can play C next year if we move Hanzal: Richardson, Vermette, Strome, Vitale, Dvorak, Gaudet (RFA)

2. Picking up either a LH or RH defenseman. RH top pairing or LH 3/4. Grossmann is UFA after this season, and I am mixed as to whether or not we bring him back. Dahlbeck is an RFA and we could move him into Grossmann's role, but I would rather not. If you are a RH defenseman and your last name is not Michalek, you are an RFA - gives a ton of flexibility on our end.

I think that following through on the first point and deciding to move on from either Boedker or Hanzal really gives us the chance to bring in some much needed defensive help through prospects and/or NHL-ready players. Find a team who is willing to risk something for a Cup run with Hanzal:

- The Islanders? Offer Hanzal for Pulock as the main pieces?
- Maybe even the Jets before the draft? Let's say the Jets are having trouble signing Byfuglien and we are on a short list of teams that can offer good money and he has interest in. Send Hanzal and a conditional 7th round pick to the Jets for the rights to negotiate with Buff, a 5th round pick, a conditional 2nd, and a goalie prospect. If we sign Buff, that conditional 2nd goes away.
- Capitals? Bowey or picks and salary dumps?
- Just about any team in the top 6 of the Atlantic?

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Sam Gagner waived. Another win for DM.
Yeah, rt killed it in the main board thread. Talented player, but not quite talented enough to be small / not physical / not a penalty killer. EDM overpaid for him (surprise, surprise), but someone who comes up empty the first week in free agency next summer will see him has a top 9 / plan B option. The highlight reel is tantalizing enough that he'll be around for a long time yet.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Boedker for Girardi
Hanzal for Vatanen
Stone + 2nd for Krug

Domi - Vermette - Duclair
Perlini - Strome - UFA
Rieder - Dvorak - Samuelsson
Martinook - Richardson - UFA

OEL - Murphy
Girardi - Vatanen
Krug - Michalek
Dahlbeck, Elliot

Mobile, puck moving blue line with loads of experience and a smidge of muscle. Finish off forward ranks with some FA signings and we are good.

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ
Boedker for Girardi
Hanzal for Vatanen
Stone + 2nd for Krug

Domi - Vermette - Duclair
Perlini - Strome - UFA
Rieder - Dvorak - Samuelsson
Martinook - Richardson - UFA

OEL - Murphy
Girardi - Vatanen
Krug - Michalek
Dahlbeck, Elliot

Mobile, puck moving blue line with loads of experience and a smidge of muscle. Finish off forward ranks with some FA signings and we are good.

Awesome line up if we wanna go for Nolan Patrick :yo:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Add value where you want on those, the general idea is solid given what our roster is likely to look like.

So, you took one look at Michalek, and said "yeah, I want four more years of that, but $2m more expensive, and I'm willing to trade Boedker for it." Girardi is a contract dump at this point. He's also a rhd, not a lefty.

2nd + Stone doesn't get you close to Krug. Hanzal doesn't get you Vatanen.

General idea isn't 'solid'

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ
Add value where you want on those, the general idea is solid given what our roster is likely to look like.

Burns and Byfuglien are available UFAs after this season and Boedker who's on pace for 25-30 goals and has shown leadership gets traded for 31 year old Girardi on a contract for the next 5+ years? (Yes I know Boedker will probably want 6 mill but it's worth it with all the ELCs - and he's only 26)..Pass.

Hanzal for Vatanen? Just....no. We need a crease clearing defenseman with some nastiness, not a 5'10 inconsistent PMD..Vermette has 0 business as a first line C also. It wouldn't be enough either to get Vatanen.

Stone and a 2nd for Krug is plenty absurd as well.

Considering we have cap space and a log jam at the forward position , we could come up with 50 better scenarios than what you suggested.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Burns isn't an UFA and Vatanen for Hanzal would be amazing for the Coyotes, terrible for Anaheim.

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ
Burns isn't an UFA and Vatanen for Hanzal would be amazing for the Coyotes, terrible for Anaheim.

Woops...was just reading 2017 discussion so I stand corrected there.

And absolutely, I mentioned that it wouldn't be enough to get Vatanen and considering the position were in with prospect depth and cap space, we could find someone with a similar skill set that wouldn't involve our center depth...not to mention I wouldn't look forward to playing a Getzlaf, Kesler, and Hanzal center corp.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I think that the order that we need to set up our roster is as follows:

1. Make a long-term decision on either Boedker or Hanzal. Not both. Once Hanzal's deal is up after 16-17 season, we would be looking at a combined $7-8 million to keep both of them, or about 40-60% of that to keep one of them. That remaining $2.5+ million or so saved can potentially be used on defense. As for C depth, we will have the following players on payroll who can play C next year if we move Hanzal: Richardson, Vermette, Strome, Vitale, Dvorak, Gaudet (RFA)

2. Picking up either a LH or RH defenseman. RH top pairing or LH 3/4. Grossmann is UFA after this season, and I am mixed as to whether or not we bring him back. Dahlbeck is an RFA and we could move him into Grossmann's role, but I would rather not. If you are a RH defenseman and your last name is not Michalek, you are an RFA - gives a ton of flexibility on our end.

I think that following through on the first point and deciding to move on from either Boedker or Hanzal really gives us the chance to bring in some much needed defensive help through prospects and/or NHL-ready players. Find a team who is willing to risk something for a Cup run with Hanzal:

- The Islanders? Offer Hanzal for Pulock as the main pieces?
- Maybe even the Jets before the draft? Let's say the Jets are having trouble signing Byfuglien and we are on a short list of teams that can offer good money and he has interest in. Send Hanzal and a conditional 7th round pick to the Jets for the rights to negotiate with Buff, a 5th round pick, a conditional 2nd, and a goalie prospect. If we sign Buff, that conditional 2nd goes away.
- Capitals? Bowey or picks and salary dumps?
- Just about any team in the top 6 of the Atlantic?

I was looking at the standings, and as of today, there are likely not any sellers in the western conference as every team still has a shot at the playoffs. In the east, I would think Toronto, Carolina, Columbus and Buffalo have to be thinking about selling as they are pretty far out now and likely can't make up ground. The question is, who might be available from those teams that could help us longer term, not just this year, by the TDL?

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I was looking at the standings, and as of today, there are likely not any sellers in the western conference as every team still has a shot at the playoffs. In the east, I would think Toronto, Carolina, Columbus and Buffalo have to be thinking about selling as they are pretty far out now and likely can't make up ground. The question is, who might be available from those teams that could help us longer term, not just this year, by the TDL?
Not sure Toronto is a seller, given how well they've been playing and current organization philosophy.

Tampa Bay is a mess and has the Stamkos situation hanging over their heads. If he's not signed shortly, he'll be moved by the TDL. No way TB can afford to walkaway with nothing.

Staal likely moved by Carolina.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Toronto will be selling all of their expiring contracts if price is right and are willing to move longer ones as well if price is right. They are looking to increase size of the prospect pool and anyone over 27 or 28 who can bring back a prospect will be traded.
Not sure Toronto is a seller, given how well they've been playing and current organization philosophy.

Tampa Bay is a mess and has the Stamkos situation hanging over their heads. If he's not signed shortly, he'll be moved by the TDL. No way TB can afford to walkaway with nothing.

Staal likely moved by Carolina.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Vancouver would be wise to start selling. Now with Hamhuis out for who knows how long I expect they begin to slip a little. Vrby at the deadline is an interesting piece for a playoff push.

I'd still rather be a seller than buyer this deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad