Speculation: 2015 - 2016 Coyotes Roster Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Panik is only a year older than Martinook and is about the same age as Plachta. Panik is sort of the poor man's Taylor Pyatt, IMO. They're all about the same. I'd take any of them over Chipchura. Unfortunately, there's no getting rid of Chipchura.

Is Panik good enough to justify crushing Martinook with a demotion? And pushing Plachta one more spot down the depth chart?

Are any of Panik, Martinook, or Plachta worth paying an NHL salary to, while sending Chipchura down to the AHL to earn an NHL salary there? In essence, just chucking a million bucks into a barrel fire?

Whatever percentage of our budget that one million bucks represents, I'm not sure that Panik is that amount better than anything we've already got in the mix.

EDIT:

It looks like Panik may actually have a two-way deal. In that case, I'd pick him up if we could pull this off...
To AZ:
Bickell(15%retained)
2016 1st

To CHI:
Chipchura(waived+buried)
2016 3rd

To AZ:
2016 3rd

To Contender:
Bickell (additional 50%retained)

The idea would be for AZ to retain 50% of the remaining 85% of his salary in a separate deal with a different contender, in exchange for a 3rd round pick.

Chicago can burry 100% of Chipchura's contact in the AHL. Bickell's cap hit is reduced to 600k. For this, they downgrade from pick 25-30 to pick 61-65.

AZ ends up eating 1.9 this year and next in real dollars on Bickell. We dump Chipchura's remaining 950kay, though. So we get a pick in the 25-30 range but have to move down from the 61-65 range to the 86-90 range, and also eat about 950kay this season, and about 1.9m next season for the trouble.

Unnamed contender gets Bickell for 1.7 in cap this year and next. It costs them a late 3rd (86-90 range).

So I guess the question for AZ is whether picking up an extra late 1st is worth downgrading a 3rd and eating 2.85m over two seasons.

Give Panik a shot and if he doesn't work out, waive him again. If he clears, offer to let him go play in Europe where he can make more money and we don't have to pay him.

So...

Out: Chipchura, pick in 61-65 range, and about 2.85m

In: Panik, pick in 25-30 range, and pick in 86-90 range

In the context of the last draft, it's something like...

Out: Chipchura, Kyle Capobianco and about 2.85m

In: Panik, Nick Merkley, and Jens Looke

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Panik is only a year older than Martinook and is about the same age as Plachta. Panik is sort of the poor man's Taylor Pyatt, IMO. They're all about the same. I'd take any of them over Chipchura. Unfortunately, there's no getting rid of Chipchura.

Is Panik good enough to justify crushing Martinook with a demotion? And pushing Plachta one more spot down the depth chart?

Are any of Panik, Martinook, or Plachta worth paying an NHL salary to, while sending Chipchura down to the AHL to earn an NHL salary there? In essence, just chucking a million bucks into a barrel fire?

Whatever percentage of our budget that one million bucks represents, I'm not sure that Panik is that amount better than anything we've already got in the mix.

EDIT:

It looks like Panik may actually have a two-way deal. In that case, I'd pick him up if we could pull this off...
To AZ:
Bickell(15%retained)
2016 1st

To CHI:
Chipchura(waived+buried)
2016 3rd

To AZ:
2016 3rd

To Contender:
Bickell (additional 50%retained)

The idea would be for AZ to retain 50% of the remaining 85% of his salary in a separate deal with a different contender, in exchange for a 3rd round pick.

Chicago can burry 100% of Chipchura's contact in the AHL. Bickell's cap hit is reduced to 600k. For this, they downgrade from pick 25-30 to pick 61-65.

AZ ends up eating 1.9 this year and next in real dollars on Bickell. We dump Chipchura's remaining 950kay, though. So we get a pick in the 25-30 range but have to move down from the 61-65 range to the 86-90 range, and also eat about 950kay this season, and about 1.9m next season for the trouble.

Unnamed contender gets Bickell for 1.7 in cap this year and next. It costs them a late 3rd (86-90 range).

So I guess the question for AZ is whether picking up an extra late 1st is worth downgrading a 3rd and eating 2.85m over two seasons.

Give Panik a shot and if he doesn't work out, waive him again. If he clears, offer to let him go play in Europe where he can make more money and we don't have to pay him.

So...

Out: Chipchura, pick in 61-65 range, and about 2.85m

In: Panik, pick in 25-30 range, and pick in 86-90 range

In the context of the last draft, it's something like...

Out: Chipchura, Kyle Capobianco and about 2.85m

In: Panik, Nick Merkley, and Jens Looke

I don't think we need Panik, even if we somehow get rid of Chip.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Not sure we'd be able to flip Bickell. I suspect this year's deadline will be a lot like last year's in that only players on expiring deals will be moved. Too much cap uncertainty to be taking on future money. Obviously there's an exception for talented players with term, i.e. Keith Yandle.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Just don't think it's worth shelling out a bunch of money and risking vertigo coming back and being unable to dump Bickell for another late 1st.

Panik has some interesting upside - slightly higher than Martinook. He's had some chances but only flirted with success at the NHL level. He's got to know he's on his last chance, so that should be a motivator. Plus, he's played 150+ games, which means Tip might give him ice time. Will he do the same for Martinook? Not sure.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'm only making a move for Bickell if Chi sends their 1st and takes back a contract (Vitale).

I don't apologize for the offer.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

I thought 50% was the max retention on a player, even split between two teams? I could be wrong, and even then we could just retain the other 35%.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Can retain 50% two times. So in this case the Hawks could retain 50% to send him to AZ, and then we could retain 50% of the new number to send him somewhere else.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
No news on Panik, believe the waiver claim deadline is now....

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I'd like to see Tipchura gone as much as anyone but not for a "poor man's Taylor Pyatt". We need to set our sights way higher than that.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'd like to see Tipchura gone as much as anyone but not for a "poor man's Taylor Pyatt". We need to set our sights way higher than that.

Darren Helm might be available in Detroit. Could ship them Chip or Vitale and a late pick.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I think it's interesting to look at TOI and (points) through the first three. Other than Hanzal who is playing the majority of the time with two of the young forwards, all the points are coming from the youth. Tippett is slowly giving them more minutes. Duclair was dead last with 9 before last nights game. It will be hard to Turris him now. There are still a lot of minutes going to guys not producing, which of course goes against everything Tippett says but at least he's not completely burying the talent. It's also worth noting that Murphy and Stone are 2 and 3 behind OEL.

Vermette 18:09 (0)
Boeds 17:44 (1)
Hanzal 17:12 (6)
Doan 16:15 (0)
Rieder 15:35 (4)
Domi 15:24 (4)
Richardson 13:47 (0)
Martinook 13:21 (1)
Gordon 12:30 (1)
Tipchura 12:21 (0)
Duclair 11:28 (5)
Downie 11:03 (1)

Could the steel plate in his head finally be starting to crack? Imagine if Maloney would have brought in that other forward and dman he kept talking about. Thankfully that didn't happen and we're getting to see more exciting talent than we have in a long, long time.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I think it's interesting to look at TOI and (points) through the first three. Other than Hanzal who is playing the majority of the time with two of the young forwards, all the points are coming from the youth. Tippett is slowly giving them more minutes. Duclair was dead last with 9 before last nights game. It will be hard to Turris him now. There are still a lot of minutes going to guys not producing, which of course goes against everything Tippett says but at least he's not completely burying the talent. It's also worth noting that Murphy and Stone are 2 and 3 behind OEL.

Vermette 18:09 (0)
Boeds 17:44 (1)
Hanzal 17:12 (6)
Doan 16:15 (0)
Rieder 15:35 (4)
Domi 15:24 (4)
Richardson 13:47 (0)
Martinook 13:21 (1)
Gordon 12:30 (1)
Tipchura 12:21 (0)
Duclair 11:28 (5)
Downie 11:03 (1)

Could the steel plate in his head finally be starting to crack? Imagine if Maloney would have brought in that other forward and dman he kept talking about. Thankfully that didn't happen and we're getting to see more exciting talent than we have in a long, long time.

When I look at that list, the guys not playing great yet are:

Vermette: could be cup hangover effect contributing to a slow start.
Bods: Being out with an injury end of last year and asking him to play the point on the PP has slowed his start.
Doan: Always a slow starter, might be too old now, time will tell.

All 3 above have been responsible on D even though they have not produced many points yet.

Downy: took a dumb penalty, not impressed with him so far, see why his minutes are limited.

Duclair: His minutes will go up now because of his production and Tip liked his 2 way game last night too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad