2015/16 CCHL Season.

Clarke74

May 7, 2015
Pounding on lesser leagues and being proud of the result does seems weak.

Here's where it really counts:

RBC Cup Champions for last 20 years:

WCC Winner: 15
Page Winner: 3 (2 x by MHL team)
Hewitt: 2

My guess is that many Runner-Ups at the WCC would have won Page or Hewitt Cups if they were playing in those leagues.

Give the weaker leagues 750 to 1m dollars budgets and no pay to play then you might have an argument. East does unreal against the big budget teams who are not pay to play

Radagast

Mar 3, 2014
Give the weaker leagues 750 to 1m dollars budgets and no pay to play then you might have an argument. East does unreal against the big budget teams who are not pay to play

"Unreal" in what way? Since "pay-to-play" only started in the OJHL and CCHL three years ago, you'd think the Ontario leagues would be have been more competitive prior to that time. They were not, so your initial assertion doesn't really stand.

In addition, I'm not totally sold on the idea that "big budget teams" have any distinct advantage. Your hockey program seems to draw some very good talent from outside Ontario. Your top three scorers are all from outside Ontario.

Lastly, you have a giant pool to scout and early recruit from. Ontario has nearly 2/5 of Canada's hockey playing population and 2/5ths of the CJHL teams but their teams have only won three out of twenty championships. Not a model of success in terms of victory...but maybe a business model of success, milking money from disillusioned kids with your sub-par programs. Where is the motive to win (drawing fans) and to develop kids and move them to the next level (which Ontario does modestly well, but in my opinion that fact is only a mistake of geography) when your teams are profitable no matter what they do or how they perform. Essentially, you could call it the Maple Leafs business model. Doesn't matter what kind of product they put on the ice, we're always in the black, so who cares.

From the slot

Mar 17, 2009
Well, CP three-peats. I know Coach Clarke's three-straight championships will rankle with some people around the CC, but there's no denying that he runs the best program in the league. CP has usurped Pembroke's role as the league's 'flagship' franchise.

Best team in the league this season; deepest forward group, six solid two-way defencemen, and one of the best goalies in the league in Colton Point.

Awesome series, was a pleasure to cover it. Have to wonder whether G7 may have panned out different if OJS D Sean Rappleyea had played and OJS D Hunter Gunski hadn't gone down injured in the first period. Put a lot of strain on a pretty young D core; 2000-born Merrick Rippon played upwards of 15 minutes.

Then again, CP was without Post and Dodson the whole final so...

Wicked series, glad some great crowds got out this weekend to watch some awesome hockey. :handclap:

I do not usually post, but I do enjoy the blog and love the CCHL. I also have to extend much respect to the CP Canadians. What they have accomplished in their time in the league, less then a decade, is truly amazing.

This is not to disparage or disrespect what CP has accomplished, but I do take issue with them being called 'the flagship'. Maybe it depends on how a person defines 'flagship', but I would argue the Pembroke Lumber Kings remain the flagship of the league, for the following reasons.

1) PLK has been a charter member of the league
2) PLK has been one of the economic successes of the league, leading the league in attendance almost ever year
3) Pembroke has the most league titles, the most appearances in the final, the most appearances in the RBC/Centennial Cup, the most appearances in the regional playdowns.
4) aside from the Rockland Nationals, the PLK are the only team in the league that has won the National Championship.

There are other reasons for the opinion, but I make my point with a nod to the historical and recent trends of the league and teams, and not a relative short spell of excellence.

No doubt the CPC are the team of today. They deserve to be, and it is undisputable. But IMO 3 years does not make a 'flagship'.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
I do not usually post, but I do enjoy the blog and love the CCHL. I also have to extend much respect to the CP Canadians. What they have accomplished in their time in the league, less then a decade, is truly amazing.

This is not to disparage or disrespect what CP has accomplished, but I do take issue with them being called 'the flagship'. Maybe it depends on how a person defines 'flagship', but I would argue the Pembroke Lumber Kings remain the flagship of the league, for the following reasons.

2) PLK has been one of the economic successes of the league, leading the league in attendance almost ever year
3) Pembroke has the most league titles, the most appearances in the final, the most appearances in the RBC/Centennial Cup, the most appearances in the regional playdowns.
4) aside from the Rockland Nationals, the PLK are the only team in the league that has won the National Championship.

There are other reasons for the opinion, but I make my point with a nod to the historical and recent trends of the league and teams, and not a relative short spell of excellence.

No doubt the CPC are the team of today. They deserve to be, and it is undisputable. But IMO 3 years does not make a 'flagship'.

Pembroke could also be the flagship of the league but for a league to be great you need multiple teams to be leaders. CPC right now is leading the way, Pembroke, Cornwall, Nepean have lead the way as well in the past. Brockville, Smith Falls, Ottawa, Kemptville will be contenders for years to come as well in future years. Gloucester, Kanata are only teams who are not being well run right now. Not sure what is going on in Hawkesbury with Anderson and Henderson gone now.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
RBC Cup

The CP Canadians did not have the tournament they wanted but they had a great year and should be very proud of there accomplishments in the recent past.
Congratulations on a very good year.

Tarzan

May 23, 2010

PLK is over. The leadership is pathetic and juvenile. Unfortunately when you get spoiled infantile people on the team then you are doomed for failure. And I haven't even talked about the players yet...

From the slot

Mar 17, 2009
PLK is over. The leadership is pathetic and juvenile. Unfortunately when you get spoiled infantile people on the team then you are doomed for failure. And I haven't even talked about the players yet...

Pembroke is over ? PLK has the longest active streak in making the playoffs, leads the league every year in hockey driven revenue, were in the finals last season, and the semi-final the year before that, and have a number of scholarship players this year. Hardly sounds pathetic to me.

Carleton Place is the team to beat in the moment, no question.

ORRT

Jul 7, 2011
Time to move on to a new thread for 2016/2017 CCHL Season.
460 post must be one of the lowest for this group in a long time.
who will do the honours ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->