Prospect Info: 2015 139th overall - Christian Jaros (D) Lulea Jr. [SWEDEN-JR.]

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Looks like a mini-Volchenkov at Development Camp. Nice game yesterday. His penalty shot draws a Volchenkov comparison as well. Wonder if he can ride a bicycle like him? Like the potential a lot.

I thought he was one of the better tape to tape passers. Volchenkov wasnt really that kinda guy

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I thought he was one of the better tape to tape passers. Volchenkov wasnt really that kinda guy

The passing is an upgrade for sure. That one long one to the opposition blue line was right on the mark. I was looking at his strength. Fair skater. He sets up to make hits well. Could have smoked a couple of guys.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Volchenkov's younger years he was actually a pretty good 2-way D, or at least showed promise in an offensive regard. He had 2 great WJ where he contributed offensively, and even was the hero for Russia in the gold medal game against Canada in 02'. He had a great rookie season, similar to Ceci's offensively in 02-03, and then had some bad injury luck. He was a great 2-way D in the AHL during the lockout as a 22 year old scoring 45 points in 69 games.

It wasn't until after the lockout that he really became the Volchenkov we know and love today.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Volchenkov's younger years he was actually a pretty good 2-way D, or at least showed promise in an offensive regard. He had 2 great WJ where he contributed offensively, and even was the hero for Russia in the gold medal game against Canada in 02'. He had a great rookie season, similar to Ceci's offensively in 02-03, and then had some bad injury luck. He was a great 2-way D in the AHL during the lockout as a 22 year old scoring 45 points in 69 games.

It wasn't until after the lockout that he really became the Volchenkov we know and love today.

I wasnt really a sens fan back when volchenkov was coming up. Always figured he benefited offensively from stacked offenses when looking at his past stats

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I think Volchenkov's performance in the AHL was mostly the result of being a min eating Dman on a stacked team with Spezza, Vermette, Hamel (a good offensive AHL forward) and Bochenski. Heck, Schubert got 32 pts and likely far less icetime.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think Volchenkov's performance in the AHL was mostly the result of being a min eating Dman on a stacked team with Spezza, Vermette, Hamel (a good offensive AHL forward) and Bochenski. Heck, Schubert got 32 pts and likely far less icetime.

No doubt. Schubert put up 32 points in 76 games, 13 less points in 9 more games.

I'm not saying he was an offensive minded guy, he just had 2-way upside until after the lockout. He had 8 points in 14 games in the world juniors, and believe it or not had a great point shot.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No doubt. Schubert put up 32 points in 76 games, 13 less points in 9 more games.

I'm not saying he was an offensive minded guy, he just had 2-way upside until after the lockout. He had 8 points in 14 games in the world juniors, and believe it or not had a great point shot.

Yeah, he certainly wasn't always the offensive black hole, but I don't think we ever saw him as more than a 20-30 pts dman in the making at best. He failed to live up to that modest production, but was still a solid contributer. I think his offense was partially hindered by role though.

Spezza

Dec 13, 2002
Ottawa <-> Scotland
I remember the offensive flashes as well; IIRC he scored early on in his first NHL season and most of the board was salivating at what was to come (pre-big crash) - but it never really amounted to much as the stats show.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Schubert had a good shot but his shots would always go over the net. At least thats what i remember

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Nothing like Englund or Volchenkov in the least. This guy can skate with the puck and wire 2 line passes for sure.

Reminds me of Claesson more. A defensive defender who has wheels and can make surprising offensive plays. I'd say even more offensive than Claesson but maybe that's cause he was trying to show his stuff in scrimmage.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
The scouts have been on a roll finding serviceable D in later rounds in the Murray era. Borowiecki is the prototype and guys like Claesson, Wideman, Wikstrand and now Jaros have followed.

It seems like they key on a single great asset of the players like Wideman and Claesson's skating, Borowiecki and Jaros' physicality and just develop them with their strengths in mind. All seem like very hockey IQ positive players too, but with obvious weaknesses at 18 or 19.

None of these guys will be big stars but all guys who can take regular shifts with a good NHL team after some development. It's pretty impressive how they do it year after year. Almost like they have some sort of weird formula.

Edit: add Ben Harpur to that list. I really like his chances.

Last edited:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Jason Garrison is who i would say hes compable to after only having watched him one time and based on his reputation hahaha. Jaros has a cannon of a slapper or is at least suppose to have one. People think he can produce more offensively

probably means very little

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
love these exit meetings/interviews. and i'm liking dono in there (please dono, jaros is trying to be serious:laugh:).
[NHL]832583&catid=1196[/NHL]

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It was obvious at the development camp that Jaros was a player who was hard to play against & very competitive as that video showed management liked that part of his game a lot. I think everyone was impressed when he went after Hapur for the cross check in the back too. But add to that his skating & passing skills & he could develop into a pretty good player for Ottawa. It's too bad he isn't going to Bingo but at 18 yrs of age he has another good yr of developing to do & could be there as early as next season.

Wiercioch2Karlsson

Sep 13, 2010
I have a very, very good feeling about this pick. Seems to have an intensity and compete level that Claesson and Cowen are probably missing (that Boro has). Should have a good shot at being a bottom-pairing guy for many years, with the potential to play a 4-5D role. Fun!

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
The scouts have been on a roll finding serviceable D in later rounds in the Murray era. Borowiecki is the prototype and guys like Claesson, Wideman, Wikstrand and now Jaros have followed.

It seems like they key on a single great asset of the players like Wideman and Claesson's skating, Borowiecki and Jaros' physicality and just develop them with their strengths in mind. All seem like very hockey IQ positive players too, but with obvious weaknesses at 18 or 19.

None of these guys will be big stars but all guys who can take regular shifts with a good NHL team after some development. It's pretty impressive how they do it year after year. Almost like they have some sort of weird formula.

Edit: add Ben Harpur to that list. I really like his chances.

In general that seems to be the type of player we develop... the 2nd/3rd line tweener and the 4th/5th D tweener. Basically we can produce really good role players but never really seem to develop a guy into a consistent top player (unless they were destined to be there from draft day, and where development was more about not hindering them)

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
If this guy can get faster . Watch OUT! He'd be a beast. Hopefully coaching can work on that.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
It was obvious at the development camp that Jaros was a player who was hard to play against & very competitive as that video showed management liked that part of his game a lot. I think everyone was impressed when he went after Hapur for the cross check in the back too. But add to that his skating & passing skills & he could develop into a pretty good player for Ottawa. It's too bad he isn't going to Bingo but at 18 yrs of age he has another good yr of developing to do & could be there as early as next season.

Not to quibble but Jaros was drafted as an overager, he's 19; which makes Bingo next year an even better idea. :nod:

BigBush*

In general that seems to be the type of player we develop... the 2nd/3rd line tweener and the 4th/5th D tweener. Basically we can produce really good role players but never really seem to develop a guy into a consistent top player (unless they were destined to be there from draft day, and where development was more about not hindering them)
Lol, not really a fair comment. Do Stone and Karlsson not count? No one thought they were destined to be where they are at today.

Tough to develop top level talent without top level picks

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
To echo some others here, yea I love this pick and have a good feeling, you can just tell by the tone of the guys in the meeting they love him and see possibility of a steal here if he enters a higher level offensively while improving defensively.

I have a very, very good feeling about this pick. Seems to have an intensity and compete level that Claesson and Cowen are probably missing (that Boro has). Should have a good shot at being a bottom-pairing guy for many years, with the potential to play a 4-5D role. Fun!

Claesson has brilliant compete level, IIRC he won almost every hardest working player in development camps and whatnot. Everyone loves him cause he's always trying to improve everyone.

Wiercioch2Karlsson

Sep 13, 2010
To echo some others here, yea I love this pick and have a good feeling, you can just tell by the tone of the guys in the meeting they love him and see possibility of a steal here if he enters a higher level offensively while improving defensively.

Claesson has brilliant compete level, IIRC he won almost every hardest working player in development camps and whatnot. Everyone loves him cause he's always trying to improve everyone.

Good point, and bad choice of words in my part. I think the better word is edge or nastiness.

peto10

Sep 29, 2011
Slovakia
I'm really glad that you guys like him, he is my favorite slovak prospect since the last WJC. I'll watch as many of his games as possible this season, so I'll try to do some reports here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad