WJC: 2015 — USA Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
In basically every way? Tuch didn't have a good game today (although neither did Fasching sans the pass to Larkin) but Tuch's a better skater, better hands, better shot, better physicality. Watch them both play more than once and it's obvious.

I disagree with your assessment, Fasching IMO is way better in every regard than Tuch besides physicality. Charlie Coyle is the last very impressive powerforward I have seen for team USA and Tuch isn't even close to him in dominance of shifts, play, or forecheck. Tuch just doesn't have the hands nor experience that Fasching does, Canada made him very easy to play against today. That is why I believe Tuch is more suited for the 3rd line in this tournament and top 6 for next year.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I disagree with your assessment, Fasching IMO is way better in every regard than Tuch besides physicality. Charlie Coyle is the last very impressive powerforward I have seen for team USA and Tuch isn't even close to him in dominance of shifts, play, or forecheck. Tuch just doesn't have the hands nor experience that Fasching does, Canada made him very easy to play against today.

What does Coyle have to do with Tuch vs. Fasching?

Tuch's hands are much better than Fasching's. I'll give you the experience since Fasching is older and played last year. Fasching is a better forechecker as well. That's about it.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Two questions for the America fans here,

- In what way is Tuch better than Fasching? Tuch just doesn't have the puck skills Fasching has currently and should not be in the top 6 IMO.

- Who's idea is it in the coaching department that thinks the cross ice pass along the defensive blueline is a "smart" game plan? Countless number of turnovers including two Canadian goals because of it.

This was a very poor game from Tuch so I hope you aren't judging him based on that alone.

Tuch is a much better skater, passer, and stick-handler than Fasching. IMO Tuch's weakness is defensive positioning.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
First off, Demko is awesome.

Canada has been infuriating me all tournament because they collapse too low with their wingers and leave the points wide open. I was surprised that USA collapsed even more today. There were shifts where it was five guys in tight just clogging the slot and shuffling around instead of pressing the puck carrier. That's ugly Toronto Maple Leafs type of defending. It's bizarre to me, since I'm so accustomed to USA being probably the best skating team in this tournament the last 5 years.

USA needs to get back to playing with speed. That's what helped them get golds. Good luck against Russia. I'm confident you guys can win that. Russia doesn't seem very deep this year and left some real skilled players off who were 18 years old to go with a primarily 19 year old veteran roster. That's a game USA should win.

And when/if you get through that game, play Sweden physical, but keep skating. They have no answer for Tuch rushing in on them.

Hope to see a USA vs Canada gold medal game!

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Was at the game today... Loved Fasching's, Demko's and Larkin's play out there.

Didn't think Butcher was that bad, but I'm reading otherwise? Honestly loved his play all tournament.

Really proud of Faschings play, played like a returning player in every aspect of the game.

Oct 15, 2008
This was a very poor game from Tuch so I hope you aren't judging him based on that alone.

Tuch is a much better skater, passer, and stick-handler than Fasching. IMO Tuch's weakness is defensive positioning.

You guys coulda used a solid dman like Griffin Reinhart out there today.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Ive had about enough of Osiecki's terrible line combos, terrible line matches, terrible feel for his players, and overall the make-up of this forward group.

USA Hockey trying to get cute again by rostering certain players for a "role" and when they can't fill that "role" they completely lack depth.

Just put Milano with Eichel and Tuch. Its obvious Milano is not at his best when he is juggled between 3 lines, those 3 have chemistry. Its also obvious Eichel and Tuch can't get it going with a revolving door of wingers on that line.

Motte is not a first liner in this tournament, he's not a 1st liner in NCAA, who are you kidding? Wood is playing PREP hockey, Canada has 4 guys with NHL experience, yet USA is leaving home 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders that are higher end CHL players. Anthony Louis is 5-5 and a decent NCAA 6th rounder. Don't try to tell us he fills a "role" better than Erne, Bailey, Cassels, Dvorak, or whoever else you want to throw in there. At least if your going to to get cute with your bottom 6, pick the right top 6 and have 1 or 2 guys that can play both roles, which it doesnt seem like they have. Clearly didn't get the top 6 right. USA Hockey, you are not smarter than NHL GMs, scouts and coaches, otherwise you would be getting paid by them, not USA Hockey.

At this point they need to pick the 6 best players based on history and performance in this tournament. Milano-Eichel-Tuch, Matthews-Larkin-Fasching. Should be your top two lines, and stick with it.

Next you can throw in DeLeo-Compher-Motte as the third

I don't care how you pair up these 4, or who plays center, because none of them will have much of an impact anyway Hayden-Schmaltz-Louis-Wood

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
You guys coulda used a solid dman like Griffin Reinhart out there today.

Nah, what we could have used was someone like Josh Morrissey.

Also, there is a huge defensive problem on Matthews' line: De Leo and Schmaltz are trash defensively and it doesn't seem like a good plan to have a 17 year old double underager match up against McDavid without any help on his wings. There were multiple times where Matthews was down low trying to clear the puck and his wingers were nowhere to be found or constantly beaten to the puck.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
What? They just played the best team in the tournament to the very end and got hosed on the Lazar goal. Canada was better based on the entirety of the game but a break here or there and it would have been USA winning as well.

Not sure we're the best team in the tournament the only thing you might be able to say is so far we might have had the most productive line in the tournament. Also the American D have talent but not as much experience. Morrissey was much worse for us last year and Nurse in games seemed lost to me compared to his improvements this year.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Ive had about enough of Osiecki's terrible line combos, terrible line matches, terrible feel for his players, and overall the make-up of this forward group.

USA Hockey trying to get cute again by rostering certain players for a "role" and when they can't fill that "role" they completely lack depth.

Just put Milano with Eichel and Tuch. Its obvious Milano is not at his best when he is juggled between 3 lines, those 3 have chemistry. Its also obvious Eichel and Tuch can't get it going with a revolving door of wingers on that line.

Motte is not a first liner in this tournament, he's not a 1st liner in NCAA, who are you kidding? Wood is playing PREP hockey, Canada has 4 guys with NHL experience, yet USA is leaving home 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders that are higher end CHL players. Anthony Louis is 5-5 and a decent NCAA 6th rounder. Don't try to tell us he fills a "role" better than Erne, Bailey, Cassels, Dvorak, or whoever else you want to throw in there. At least if your going to to get cute with your bottom 6, pick the right top 6 and have 1 or 2 guys that can play both roles, which it doesnt seem like they have. Clearly didn't get the top 6 right. USA Hockey, you are not smarter than NHL GMs, scouts and coaches, otherwise you would be getting paid by them, not USA Hockey.

At this point they need to pick the 6 best players based on history and performance in this tournament. Milano-Eichel-Tuch, Matthews-Larkin-Fasching. Should be your top two lines, and stick with it.

I don't care how you pair up these 4, or who plays center, because none of them will have much of an impact anyway Hayden-Schmaltz-Louis-Wood

Can you coach? Or atleast in charge of the Line combos. Milano Eichel Tuch need to be reunited . Get Motte the hell away from the top 6 for the love of god.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Can you coach? Or atleast in charge of the Line combos. Milano Eichel Tuch need to be reunited . Get Motte the hell away from the top 6 for the love of god.

Another thing, why is Osiecki matching Eichel's line with Reinharts line??? They are the best line in the tourney, and you can't seem to pick a wing to ride shot gun with your top center. How the hell do you expect to get any puck possession.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Another thing, why is Osiecki matching Eichel's line with Reinharts line??? They are the best line in the tourney, and you can't seem to pick a right wing to ride shot gun with your top center. How the hell do you expect to get any puck possession.

I thought canada had last line change.

pavelich

Jul 16, 2009

well said

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Canada was better and deserved the win. Demko was good and the defense wasn't as bad as I thought they'd be. Offense still isn't anywhere near what I expected coming into the tournament and I'd be surprised if they turn things around at this point.

To make matters worse results in the other pool played out badly as far as the US is concerned. Canada gets Denmark, Czechs/Slovaks to go for the gold while they'll face Russia, Sweden/Finland. They're 1 and 5 in the last ten years against Russia at this tournament so obviously it's a bad matchup to draw this early. Things could play out exactly the same way they did last year with an early exit but it'd be much more disappointing considering expectations this time around.

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
Canada was better and deserved the win. Demko was good and the defense wasn't as bad as I thought they'd be. Offense still isn't anywhere near what I expected coming into the tournament and I'd be surprised if they turn things around at this point.

To make matters worse results in the other pool played out badly as far as the US is concerned. Canada gets Denmark, Czechs/Slovaks to go for the gold while they'll face Russia, Sweden/Finland. They're 1 and 5 in the last ten years against Russia at this tournament so obviously it's a bad matchup to draw this early. Things could play out exactly the same way they did last year with an early exit but it'd be much more disappointing considering expectations this time around.
Not liking out chances, we just don't match up well versus Russia

Oct 15, 2008
That game meant nothing.

You guys looked much better than any team Canada has played so far. To me, its pretty much a coin flip, with a slight edge to Canada because of the extreme depth. But I do think Demko may be the best goalie, so it could be a wash.

Look forward to seeing you guys again in the gold medal game.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
indifferent to the loss. all it did was matchup seedings. canada now has an easier route to the final but if we play them again we will have had to go through the russians and probably the swedes. id rather the tougher route because it will make us better and more prepared if we were to meet again.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Justin Bailey would've loved today's game while Louis was useless

And we miss Santini big time

Chill man, Justin Bailey wouldn't have changed ****.

We miss Santini but Carlo has blown my expectations out of the water. I don't think we need Santini as much as we need better wingers on the Matthews line.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Bailey wouldn't have, but Bailey, Connor, Erne, Dvorak, Cassels probably would over Louis, Wood, Motte, Schmaltz

I was specifically addressed him because it's obvious he has a Sabres-flavoured agenda.

I agree that the selections weren't perfect. Specifically, Erne would have been a much better choice on the 4th line than Louis. And Connor has proven chemistry with Matthews, unlike his two wingers right now. I think Motte deserves to be here, just in a bottom-6 role. Wood has been fine, I just wish he were the 13th forward. Schmaltz just doesn't have the drive or urgency or seriousness, as much as I hate using words like that, that is required in a short, single-elimination tournament.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Demko played the Lazar goal really bad. McDavid just threw it on net from a bad angle and it ate him up badly. He played well but that was a huge mistake at a bad time.

Erne on the wing with Eichel and Tuch would give the team a legit top line, how the hell did he get cut because of one bad pre tournament game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->