WC: 2015 — Team Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
I'm just observing the buzz and the clear excitement from those who claim to be indifferent and even unaware of the drama of the WHC.

It's elevated from barely registering to around moderate interest.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
There is more buzz...because Sid went.

We know that most years we will lose because our top players don't go or are still in the playoffs. Remember the years of us being led by "Captain Canada" in Ryan Smyth.

Read thru a GDT for Canada. There are LOTS of comments from people asking how "their" players are playing(Flyer fans asking about Giroux or Couturier for example)

For Canada, this is below the World Juniors as far as importance. But like any competition, we still want our country to win. If we don't, no one really cares. If we lose the Olympics...EVERYONE cares.

Yes, quite frankly, I am following and even indirectly rooting for, the US, solely due to Hellebuyck.

I wouldn't be doing that at the Olympics.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Where is Getzlaf? Tavares? Perry? Nash? Weber? Doughty? Pietrangelo? Subban? Bergeron? Price? Luongo? Where is the frenzy for that matter?

Canada has sent Crosby, it's 13th forward (Duchene), 7/8 defenceman (Hamhuis) and third goaltender (Smith). Seguin and Giroux are also Olympic calibre players, and that's it. Imagine the "frenzy" if Canada had sent anything close to its actual Olympic team.

Everyone knows Yakushev72 should not be taken seriously with his comments riling up Canadians. I hope Canada wins GOLD, but if they lose, it is not the end of the world. This is a second tier tournament, behind the Olympics, World Cup and World Juniors. This tournament is on par with the Spengler Cup for a lot of people. It is very good hockey though, but the reality is that it is not a Best on Best tournament, so that is why it is not taken very seriously by a lot of people at a time when the NHL Playoffs are taking place right now.

There have been 6 Best on Best tournaments since 1998 (the first year pros were allowed in the Olympics)- with 5 Olympics and 1 World Cup. Russia has not won a single best on best tournament. Winning the WHC does not make you the best Hockey Country in the World. The Olympics were just last year and Canada won it. I know many Europeans love this tournament, but because it is not Best on Best, this tournament will never capture the imagination of North Americans. Nothing wrong with that, but European hockey fans should not get upset with that fact. Just enjoy the exciting games.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Team Canada looks pretty promising so far. The Duchene line really looks like it's meshing. I'm pumped. Let's go Canada!

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Everyone knows Yakushev72 should not be taken seriously with his comments riling up Canadians. I hope Canada wins GOLD, but if they lose, it is not the end of the world. This is a second tier tournament, behind the Olympics, World Cup and World Juniors. This tournament is on par with the Spengler Cup for a lot of people. It is very good hockey though, but the reality is that it is not a Best on Best tournament, so that is why it is not taken very seriously by a lot of people at a time when the NHL Playoffs are taking place right now.

There have been 6 Best on Best tournaments since 1998 (the first year pros were allowed in the Olympics)- with 5 Olympics and 1 World Cup. Russia has not won a single best on best tournament. Winning the WHC does not make you the best Hockey Country in the World. The Olympics were just last year and Canada won it. I know many Europeans love this tournament, but because it is not Best on Best, this tournament will never capture the imagination of North Americans. Nothing wrong with that, but European hockey fans should not get upset with that fact. Just enjoy the exciting games.

If the NA 'world cup' is to be taken seriously, then why does not Gary Bettman do so and invite real national teams? And the WJC is a junior competition, not a best on best.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
If the NA 'world cup' is to be taken seriously, then why does not Gary Bettman do so and invite real national teams? And the WJC is a junior competition, not a best on best.
Well I don't think people should take the World Cup seriously because of the Rest of Europe team and the young stars. You're right, WJC isn't best on best but it's a nice tournament with kids playing their hearts out. I think the OP is saying NA fans take the WJC and would take the World Cup (even though it still isn't good) more seriously. WHC aren't as popular here because having to wake up early and not always sending out an legitimate roster. I always watch the games because the other teams work hard, the fans are great, and I enjoy cheering for Canada. I also understand that we probably won't win sometimes because of our rosters.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

I couldn't agree more with everything you said. I also hope Canada does win Gold and if for whatever reason that does not happen oh well, however I won't be too upset.

Aziridine

Aug 23, 2014
Dammit Calgary why'd you have to win tonight. This team is a Dubnyk and a Brodie away from being the favourite to win it this year.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
For Europeans, it is very rewarding to see Canadians catching on to "World Hockey Championship Fever" in force. We have known for years that the WHC is the premier attraction in the sport, but we heard Canadians say for so long how disinterested they were and how they didn't want to be bothered with an event so insignificant. And yet I expect that the banner headline in the Toronto Globe and Mail this morning was " ALL EYES IN THE GREAT WHITE NORTH RIVETED ON PRAGUE." I suspect that the fact that Canada sent its Olympic team this year has something to do with the frenzied interest. You will soon find out that once you experience the WHC, you'll never go back to anything else!
The premier attraction in Hockey besides the Stanley Cup Finals is the Olympic Hockey tournament. The World Championships is a nice event and I bet that a lot of European fans look forward to it every year. However it does not get the same coverage in Canada like the Olympics does and one reason is because the Stanley Cup Playoffs are going on at the same time.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Well I don't think people should take the World Cup seriously because of the Rest of Europe team and the young stars. You're right, WJC isn't best on best but it's a nice tournament with kids playing their hearts out. I think the OP is saying NA fans take the WJC and would take the World Cup (even though it still isn't good) more seriously. WHC aren't as popular here because having to wake up early and not always sending out an legitimate roster. I always watch the games because the other teams work hard, the fans are great, and I enjoy cheering for Canada. I also understand that we probably won't win sometimes because of our rosters.

The WJC is a great fun and I guess it has become pretty prestigous too but its still not the same thing as a tourney with the actual best players. Not even all the best Juniors is there.

There is a lot of people here in Sweden that complain about the Worlds too, saying that its a second rate tournament and thus one shouldnt watch. But I am not one of them. I like national teams hockey too much and think it fun to watch as its still plenty of skilled players participating.

Last edited:

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic

WC?Thats insulting!:D

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Looks like Calgary has some fight left in them, series may drag on a little longer...

Do we wait to see if Brodie is up to the challenge after a tough series?

Subban? Another right handed d-man. (But Subban can play the left side)

or go with the safe and quick solution.

Minnesota LD Marco Scandella OR his Minnesota teammate RD Spurgeon. Minnesota is pretty much out of the picture.

Subban would be my 1st choice... (I doubt he'll accept the invite)

After that, Brodie or Scandella, just because I buy into the Babcock philosophy of LD/RD

McLennan is a Babcock disciple.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Looks like Calgary has some fight left in them, series may drag on a little longer...

Do we wait to see if Brodie is up to the challenge after a tough series?

Subban? Another right handed d-man. (But Subban can play the left side)

or go with the safe and quick solution.

Minnesota LD Marco Scandella OR his Minnesota teammate RD Spurgeon. Minnesota is pretty much out of the picture.

Subban would be my 1st choice... (I doubt he'll accept the invite)

After that, Brodie or Scandella, just because I buy into the Babcock philosophy of LD/RD

McLennan is a Babcock disciple.

Pretty much any of those guys would be good. I wouldn't mind Canada getting an injection of skating ability on the left side, given the predominance of RHD and massive size on the blueline. I think Subban is a possibility, and Brodie as well, but it might be difficult for Hockey Canada to be patient if the Minnesota players are finished. If Canada goes through the preliminary round without a loss I can see them waiting for Subban and flying him over for the quarterfinals again.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Pretty much any of those guys would be good. I wouldn't mind Canada getting an injection of skating ability on the left side, given the predominance of RHD and massive size on the blueline. I think Subban is a possibility, and Brodie as well, but it might be difficult for Hockey Canada to be patient if the Minnesota players are finished. If Canada goes through the preliminary round without a loss I can see them waiting for Subban and flying him over for the quarterfinals again.

Montreal could very well be facing elimination tomorrow, but if Price can steal one, I think HC grabs whoever becomes available first. It will be interesting to see what they do.

as a side note, did you see the weekend's TV ratings? World Hockey Championships was beaten by 5 NHL playoff games, OHL 1/2 final and Major League Baseball.

Last edited:

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Subban would accept imo, but I wish Montreal next round rather.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Montreal could very well be facing elimination tomorrow, but if Price can steal one, I think HC grabs whoever becomes available first. It will be interesting to see what they do.

as a side note, did you see the weekend's TV ratings? World Hockey Championships was beaten by 5 NHL playoff games, OHL 1/2 final and Major League Baseball.

I thought the ratings looked pretty good for the World Championships myself. Canada-Germany was in the top 10 of sports programs, and even a non-Canadian game (Russia-Norway) showed up on the top 20.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/e...-free-night-boost-chl-fortunes-134818498.html

I don't think you can expect much more than that for a preliminary round game. There's a decent amount of interest in this year's tournament. If Canada makes the final, I expect ratings will be very good.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
question: If Montreal loses this series would Price want to join Team Canada? If he did it would solve our biggest issue.

Blackshad

Oct 12, 2002
This late in the tournament I dont think we will see any changes. Just my opinion.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I thought the ratings looked pretty good for the World Championships myself. Canada-Germany was in the top 10 of sports programs, and even a non-Canadian game (Russia-Norway) showed up on the top 20.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/e...-free-night-boost-chl-fortunes-134818498.html

I don't think you can expect much more than that for a preliminary round game. There's a decent amount of interest in this year's tournament. If Canada makes the final, I expect ratings will be very good.

I think the ratings are decent and should be better than recent years...but getting beat by a early season MLB game is pretty telling... The ratings for a Canada v whoever final will be solid. Got to get their first though.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

I have it on good authority that the World Championship has whipped the Canadian public into a frenzy!

Last edited by a moderator:

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I have it on good authority that the World Championship has whipped the Canadian public into a frenzy!

What other league should Canada select players from? Does Canada have another league that it boasts about (until the games actually start)?

A fevered pitch...WHC highlights were 3rd. up on last evening's Sports Center broadcast after NHL highlights and the AHL franchise St. John's Ice Caps relocating to Winnipeg, Manitoba. heady company indeed.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
WC?Thats insulting!:D

The World Cup of Hockey in 2004 was a Best on Best tournament. Russia failed to win that as well. Russia got embarrassed in Sochi, got crushed in the QF against Canada in 2010, failed to medal in 2006, and lost in the Quarter finals in the 2004 World Cup to Team USA. That is the facts of Russia's results in recent Best on Best tournaments. However, i agree, the New World Cup format with an European left over team, young star NA team, is a complete joke.

I was talking about he 2004 World Cup in my earlier post, on how it garnered more attention in Canada than the WHC. The WHC is exciting hockey but is on par with the Spengler Cup for Canadians. If we win- that is great, if not- it is not the end of the world. It all has to do with timing of the tournament, and the fact it is not Best on Best. It is still exciting hockey, and i will always tune in regardless if many Canadians do not care about, or if Canada does not do well.

Last edited:

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
For Europeans, it is very rewarding to see Canadians catching on to "World Hockey Championship Fever" in force. We have known for years that the WHC is the premier attraction in the sport, but we heard Canadians say for so long how disinterested they were and how they didn't want to be bothered with an event so insignificant. And yet I expect that the banner headline in the Toronto Globe and Mail this morning was " ALL EYES IN THE GREAT WHITE NORTH RIVETED ON PRAGUE." I suspect that the fact that Canada sent its Olympic team this year has something to do with the frenzied interest. You will soon find out that once you experience the WHC, you'll never go back to anything else!

Missing Tavares, Stamkos, Getzlaf, Perry, Toews, Keith, Doughty, Subban, Weber, Vlasic, Price and many many more... Not even close lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad