WC: 2015 — Team Slovakia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Are you seriously comparing Czechoslovakia losing 11:1 to USSR with us losing to Czechs 8:0?
Of course. If a top team like Czechoslovakia can afford to lose 1-11, then definitely Slovakia (hardly a top team that year) can afford to lose 0-8. Logic escapes you, as usual. :help:

Some people say that Belarus would need just playing in the SF, some say they need to finish 3rd or better, so I dunno.

Belarus needs to finish 6 places higher than Slovakia to kick Slovakia out of Olympics, so Belarus would need to win a medal this year, because Slovakia finished 9th.

I wouldn't call Vujtek a one hit wonder. We made it into the QF in 2013, that's not a bad result.

Not bad, but not good, either. It's just mediocre, and it's definitely no hit. We were also lucky to get into the play-offs that year.

Let's not call mediocrity a "success", please. :shakehead Getting into the quarterfinals is OK, but it's no success for a hockey nation like Slovakia. Only getting to the semifinals can truly be called "success". And failing to reach the quarterfinals is outright failure, no discussion.

Vůjtek was Slovakia's head coach at 5 top events. He was successful once, mediocre once, and he failed three times. That speaks a clear language, as to what the overall assessment of his tenure will be. I am, as I mentioned, waiting for someone to post Vůjtek's overall win/loss record with team Slovakia. It's very likely to be distinctly below 0.500 (50%), which is considered an unacceptable coaching record in every non-developing hockey country.

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
Of course. If a top team like Czechoslovakia can afford to lose 1-11, then definitely Slovakia (hardly a top team that year) can afford to lose 0-8. Logic escapes you, as usual. :help:

Belarus needs to finish 6 places higher than Slovakia to kick Slovakia out of Olympics, so Belarus would need to win a medal this year, because Slovakia finished 9th.

Not bad, but not good, either. It's just mediocre, and it's definitely no hit. We were also lucky to get into the play-offs that year.

Let's not call mediocrity a "success", please. :shakehead Getting into the quarterfinals is OK, but it's no success for a hockey nation like Slovakia. Only getting to the semifinals can truly be called "success". And failing to reach the quarterfinals is outright failure, no discussion.

Vůjtek was Slovakia's head coach at 5 top events. He was successful once, mediocre once, and he failed three times. That speaks a clear language, as to what the overall assessment of his tenure will be. I am, as I mentioned, waiting for someone to post Vůjtek's overall win/loss record with team Slovakia. It's very likely to be distinctly below 0.500 (50%), which is considered an unacceptable coaching record in every non-developing hockey country.

Can't you read or what? :laugh: Hilarious guy. You are the one who is totally missing logical thinking here, so please stop trying. Who cares if we are a hockey nation or not, with the players we have right now, QF is considered as a success, whether you like it or not. 2009 was probably the worst WC we have ever played at and still, you keep on treating Vujtek like a pile of crap and you worship Filc.

If you haven't noticed, we have played in just one semifinal since the last WC in Ostrava. We are regressing heavily, if nothing changes dramatically, it is just going to get worse, wake up, it's not 2002.

EDIT: Also, I find it really funny, how you chose one sentece from my post and ignore the rest :laugh:

Last edited:

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
[Mod]

What I'm saying (not to you) is that part of Slovakia hockey's problems is the loser mentality that considers playing in the quarterfinals a "success". It's not a success. It's Slovakia's minimal target for every Worlds tournament, but people and teams who only ever reach minimal targets won't get very far in life. A real success would be reaching the stretch goal – Worlds or Olympic semifinals.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
[Mod]

Once again, we are now on par with teams like Switzerland, Germany, Latvia etc. I don't like it either, but it's the reality. With the players we*have, we might not reach semifinal in the next 15 years. We will see, if our hockey continues to regress. It is actually kind of disturbing, how easily can Slovak people be influenced by one really successful WC. That's the beauty/curse of tournaments like WC. One game elimination can be very snaky.

All I actually want to tell you is that if you really believe that we are going to get to the semis every let's say 5 years under a new coaching staff, you should visit a doctor. Our hockey needs dramatical changes, we are no longer even close to being a superpower.

Loser mentality may be present in our hockey, but no way would the change of mentality lead us back to being a strong hockey nation.

If you plan on continuing to attack my personality with such low and sore "arguments", which you seem to like, don't even bother answering, please.

Last edited by a moderator:

ThrashersfanSVK

@Jakub_Homola
Nov 21, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
So, Belarus, France, Germany and Hungary our opponents in round robin for next-year World Champs. Since France and Germany cannot get relegated, the battle to avoid relegation will be against Hungary :sarcasm:.

For real, it'll be ridiculous, if IIHF guarantees France and Germany spot at their World Championship. :shakehead

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
So, Belarus, France, Germany and Hungary our opponents in round robin for next-year World Champs. Since France and Germany cannot get relegated, the battle to avoid relegation will be against Hungary :sarcasm:.

For real, it'll be ridiculous, if IIHF guarantees France and Germany spot at their World Championship. :shakehead

Well, it hasn't been confirmed anywhere.

Actually, it's possible that there's only wild card for next year's host nation who can't get relegated. As Germany is the main host and France co-host, it's possible that only Germany gets the wild card and in case the French get relegated, the 2017 tourney will be played just in Germany. But who knows...

But at least as of tomorrow we should know for sure that we will get the wild card in 2018 in case something happens and since 2018 is the year of Olympics where we'll be officially playing as of today, it's usual to get more declines for the NT than usually,so it might be useful. :laugh:

Btw, kinda off-topic, but can we technically get relegated at the u18s next year? Since we're hosting in 2017. I remember that the Swiss withdrew from hosting the WJCs due to fears of being relegated in the late 2000s and Canada took over from them.

ThrashersfanSVK

@Jakub_Homola
Nov 21, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Well, it hasn't been confirmed anywhere.

Actually, it's possible that there's only wild card for next year's host nation who can't get relegated. As Germany is the main host and France co-host, it's possible that only Germany gets the wild card and in case the French get relegated, the 2017 tourney will be played just in Germany. But who knows...

But at least as of tomorrow we should know for sure that we will get the wild card in 2018 in case something happens and since 2018 is the year of Olympics where we'll be officially playing as of today, it's usual to get more declines for the NT than usually,so it might be useful. :laugh:

Btw, kinda off-topic, but can we technically get relegated at the u18s next year? Since we're hosting in 2017. I remember that the Swiss withdrew from hosting the WJCs due to fears of being relegated in the late 2000s and Canada took over from them.
I've been looking for this in IIHF by-laws and sport reguations but never found something. It's kind of strange. This year Finland was playing against Germany for the last spot in QF at World Juniors, and I thought it was Dreger who tweeted that in case of Finland's loss, the relegation play-off would have been normally played and if Finland had gotten relegated, they wouldn't have organised up-coming WJC.

I'm confused.

Anyway, if France and Germany get bye to 2017 World Championship and they reamin in same group (Host country has right to swap two countries from the same pot to opposing groups) it would be quite disgusting for Hungary, since virtually they even wouldn't have to come to Russia, they would have almost zero chance to avoid relegation.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I assume that in case France is guaranteed a spot in 2017, they will be swapped with Norway (or Germany with Latvia) to avoid a scenario where the 6th ranked team is relegated. It's nothing unusual, they did it in 2012 and 2013 to have the hosts in different pools, as well as this year to have Slovakia in Ostrava.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
I've been looking for this in IIHF by-laws and sport reguations but never found something. It's kind of strange. This year Finland was playing against Germany for the last spot in QF at World Juniors, and I thought it was Dreger who tweeted that in case of Finland's loss, the relegation play-off would have been normally played and if Finland had gotten relegated, they wouldn't have organised up-coming WJC.

I'm confused.

Anyway, if France and Germany get bye to 2017 World Championship and they reamin in same group (Host country has right to swap two countries from the same pot to opposing groups) it would be quite disgusting for Hungary, since virtually they even wouldn't have to come to Russia, they would have almost zero chance to avoid relegation.

It wouldn't be good news for us either as in that case Hungary would put in everything into the game against us and I think that's a game where they'll have motivation enough even without that.

But I think that the likeliest scenario is a) only one team gets guaranteed spot for 2017 or b) what stv11 describes.

Although I don't think that's exactly just for the other bottom teams either.

Btw, I've heard some rumours that Hungary are actually trying to achieve that their first game next year would be played in Budapest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad