WJC: 2015 — Canada Roster Talk (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleDouble*

Gauthier did a great job of stopping goals last year.

He actually did, not sure if you are making a joke or what.

He's a year older and even more defensively dominant. Put your team allegiances aside and embrace the national pride. Kids gonna be an important cog in our gold medal run :)

DoubleDouble*

At this point, I'm honestly wondering if he's your son or something.

I am sorry for being right about him making it. I know you are dissapointed!

Love the selection of this team. Thought Dal Colle and Fleury would make it but I am find with Crouse and Heatherington.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Well only cut I dont like is Fleury.

Agreed. It's not like Michael Dal Colle is thought of as a bad defensive player. If they didn't pick him it's not because they wanted a checker in his place - it's because they felt HE won't be able to score. And I wouldn't blame them for thinking Lawson Crouse has been more of a threat with his speed and power game.

Fleury, I don't understand. This guy is probably their best defensive player and has no problems moving the puck as well.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Crouse earned his spot.

I really doubt Dal Colle will make that much of a difference when all is said and done. He is a good player but he isn't the end all be all for this team.

Crouse played okay, but his good first period was mitigated with invisible play as well in the latter two periods in my opinion.

Besides, rather have Dal Colle than Ritchie.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Im thinking of starting a thread/poll now called:

"Who thinks Ritchie will commit a potentially tournament ending penalty"

Then when it happens we can rub it in,

Ritchie over Dal Colle is actually laughable

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
This is becoming a run on issue for the WJC's. Morin over Fleury is a travesty. Same with Gauthier and Crouse over MDC.

To be fair, I really liked Crouse's game today. Canada didn't keep the BPA, that's for sure. Looks like they favor each line having well defined roles. Although I'm bummed that MDC got cut, there's certainly no concern up-and-down the roster that we don't have enough firepower

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
And Chartier.

Well, looks like Gauthier made the team but I think it's as a extra forward. How does he get a spot before Paul or Crouse?

Some are surprised by Fleury, he looked a little overwhelmed and wasn't himself. His passes weren't always crisp, he wasn't on his man alot and gave too much space in the slot so a Russian player got the one-timer. Little mistakes but that's all it took, Morin and Heatherington were more solid defensively.

Dal Colle wasn't physical nor fast enough, he'll be a good player in the NHL but he just didn't live up to expectations IMO and when the game was being played, many posters said Dal Colle has been pretty invisible. I have to agree, he didn't have a big impact, might have been a bad night but that's all it took.

Virtanen-Petan-Point
Crouse-Paul-Ritchie
Gauthier

I think that's a solid bottom 6.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
The raging success of last year's Fighting Lunchbuckets (Anderson, for starters) was licence for the perpetuity of that philosophy.

The Lunchbuckets this year are luckily better: Paul, Crouse, Gauthier > Anderson, Rychel, Leier.

Just sucks that they don't utilize all of their firepower.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Crouse is fine, but Ritchie, Paul and Gauthier over Dal Colle is dumb after we barely managed to score a goal. Ritchie didn't do anything either and will make a bonehead or something, he is not built for international hockey, he's a Lucic, loose cannon.

DoubleDouble*

And Chartier.

Well, looks like Gauthier made the team but I think it's as a extra forward. How does he get a spot before Paul or Crouse?

Some are surprised by Fleury, he looked a little overwhelmed and wasn't himself. His passes weren't always crisp, he wasn't on his man alot and gave too much space in the slot so a Russian player got the one-timer. Little mistakes but that's all it took, Morin and Heatherington were more solid defensively.

Dal Colle wasn't physical nor fast enough, he'll be a good player in the NHL but he just didn't live up to expectations IMO and when the game was being played, many posters said Dal Colle has been pretty invisible. I have to agree, he didn't have a big impact, might have been a bad night but that's all it took.

Virtanen-Petan-Point
Crouse-Paul-Ritchie
Gauthier

Petan will play top 6 I think.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
And Chartier.

Virtanen-Petan-Point
Crouse-Paul-Ritchie
Gauthier

I think we could have a better bottom 6 then that -- Petan and Point is a small combo.

And with Crouse, Paul, Ritchie you have 3 big goal scorers, but no vision or real passing threat. These are the lines that look good on paper because they can forecheck, but in reality the vision isnt good enough at this level to consistently score.

Dec 3, 2012
All french canadians haters make me laugh right now! That's not politic, that's hockey and we'll have the best team on the ice for the tournament, from what I saw tonight (Except Fleury)...
Allez chier les estis d'anglais qui pensent tout savoir du hockey!

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Crouse played okay, but his good first period was mitigated with invisible play as well in the latter two periods in my opinion.

Besides, rather have Dal Colle than Ritchie.

Agreed. It was a tossup between those two for last forward cut, but I leaned more towards Ritchie because I haven't liked what I've seen out of him, even in the OHL I don't think he's played up to his potential. Chartier and Dickinson were no brainers and I thought Morin and Heatherington were duking it out for the final d spot. Shame MDC and Fleury got cut. This team would be so much better with them

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Crouse - Petan - Point
Paul - Gauthier - Virtanen
Ritchie

Crouse does not deserve to be put any higher than the fourth line. He can take his 16 points in 24 games off the third line, hes also an underager, Mack played 4th line as an underager. Especially if Petan and Point are on that line. Two small fast players.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I don't see anything Heatherington did to warrant making it over him. Zone entries, outlets, etc.

that is my argument. Outside of morrissey and nurse who the hell stood out today? No one.

Theodore heatherington fleury morin were all pedestrian and bowey looked horrible on that last goal.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Fabbri - McDavid - Lazar
Domi - Reinhart - Duclair
Petan - Paul - Virtanen
Ritchie - Gauthier - Point
Crouse

Morrissey - Bowey
Nurse - Theodore
Morin - Hicketts
Heatherington

DoubleDouble*

Crouse does not deserve to be put any higher than the fourth line. He can take his 16 points in 24 games off the third line, hes also an underager, Mack played 4th line as an underager. Especially if Petan and Point are on that line. Two small fast players.

Ya, I also think Petan plays in the top 6. Unless they stack up the 3rd line and play it a lot. I think you want him on the ice.

4th line should be:

Paul/Crouse - Gauthier - Virtanen IMO

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
that is my argument. Outside of morrissey and nurse who the hell stood out today? No one.

Theodore heatherington fleury morin were all pedestrian and bowey looked horrible on that last goal.

And thats why in my opinion you cut the guy with the STYLE that is most likely to make a big mistake -- a Morin type.

Ill be honest, if I'm the coach, I would cut Nurse. I see his ability moving forward, and I know he will be a good NHLer, but for this team, at this level, he is going to make a lot of bad turnovers. My prediction

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Agreed. It was a tossup between those two for last forward cut, but I leaned more towards Ritchie because I haven't liked what I've seen out of him, even in the OHL I don't think he's played up to his potential. Chartier and Dickinson were no brainers and I thought Morin and Heatherington were duking it out for the final d spot. Shame MDC and Fleury got cut. This team would be so much better with them

The Fleury cut is one I slightly disagree with, although if I was basing who would be cut purely from tonight's eye test then Bowey would be the first to go. Of course, Bowey is a rare right handed stick Canada otherwise lacks, other factors to consider. Personally, above all else, I think cutting after just one game isn't ideal anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->