OT: 2014 Vancouver Whitecaps Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
With the international transfer window open,

Do you think The Caps will try and get a Player or two or just go with what they got ?

They've either got to tell us now that their goal is to develop talent all year, or go get their pieces.

I'm so confused honestly.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
They've either got to tell us now that their goal is to develop talent all year, or go get their pieces.

I'm so confused honestly.

I think they've got a good team, to me it just seems that the weakness is quite obvious. The left side of defense. For me, I would have like to see the Caps get a replacement for Demerit. I don't think he can play at the MLS level anymore. I don't mind keeping him as an experienced depth player, but I rather not have him play every game.

As for the game today, the defense is barely hanging on, but they are showing a threat on the counter. Say what you want about Mattocks, but he's a level beyond Salgado.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Game's getting a little heated.... Robinson just made a great move by taking off Fernandes. He was getting too hot and after being booked, it wouldn't have surprised me to see someone get sent off in this game and if he left on Fernandes, it wouldn't have surprised me to see it be him.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
Good draw.

Poor call on the PK, but glad we capitalized.

Can't stand Ousted and his childish antics on the field. Quit being so dramatic and getting upset at every little things. Fans tonight got on him and it worked.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Man the Whitecaps forwards are so bad right now it's frustrating. Mattocks...awful to watch. Zero awareness of the players around him. Salgado even worse. Manneh and Hurtado have their moments but they're young. And the Whitecaps aren't a rich team that can just go and buy a quality MLS striker.

If I'm the Whitecaps, going forward I try to get a veteran, quality left-back to replace Harvey and bridge the gap until Sam Akedugbe can own that spot.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Overall the team seems to be moving in the right direction. Young team that on occasion gets schooled by more seasoned teams but those are the growing pains that have to be endured.

On this game I don't understand some of the criticism here. Ousted again played great (probably the key to getting a draw) and he showed great courage and skill in this game. I think people are mistaking intensity for drama and right now the team's back line is needing and getting correction and leadership from Ousted. Using the highly partisan Salt Lake crowd as evidence that he was being childish is ridiculous. [mod]

Also I thought Mattocks gave it a full effort and was dangerous all game. He had no support and was going 1 on 3 all game. Thought it was one of his better efforts and he did all he could with mediocre service and support from others. He made himself available all game and was open for a tap in if Fernandez doesn't go brain dead and fire that shot a mile over the net. I've seen where Mattocks has been frustrating but the last while he has been the best offensive weapon the team has.

If you want to find a poor effort look at Hurtado the last while. He's had the touch of Rhino and continually dead plays with a thoughtless rush or a brutal pass. Could probably say all the young forwards have been very inconsistent. Have a good stretch and then other teams start marking them closer and take them out of the play.

I agree Harvey is very marginal. Provides little going forward and doesn't close out on players well enough defensively. Always gives up space that allows opponents to make uncontested crosses from his side. Tries hard but in over his head at this level. Reminds me of the scrubs we had in our first season. Hopefully Adekugbe is the real deal and can takeover this position in the near future.

All in all a good road trip.

Last edited by a moderator:

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
On this game I don't understand some of the criticism here. Ousted again played great (probably the key to getting a draw) and he showed great courage and skill in this game. I think people are mistaking intensity for drama and right now the team's back line is needing and getting correction and leadership from Ousted. Using the highly partisan Salt Lake crowd as evidence that he was being childish is ridiculous. [mod]

Nope, I'm a Whitecaps fan who moved from Ontario out west about 5 years ago (before the Whitecaps existed), and never got connected to TFC. I go to multiple games per year (including back at Tempire) and the Whitecaps are the only Vancouver team I cheer for.

Reminds me of Barry Robson. Does a good job in net, but always seems to have someone else to blame when something goes wrong, and can't just ignore it and just focus on the game (if it involves fans - such as last night). I just like leadership when you're being positive and not always screaming or yelling at your team mates (defence) for their "mistakes" in the middle of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

gurfling

Sep 24, 2004
I would have to agree with the defense of Ousted. He might not necessarily be angry, just giving instructions in a loud voice. I know I play goalie on a large field, and my team gets annoyed with me if I am not yelling instructions at them all game. With everyone spread out & the crowd noise you have to scream to make yourself heard.

While I am not a fan of the theatrics when players get hit, it is simply a part of the culture of the game and you have to realize practically everyone does it & live with it.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Might as well rename it the Fernandez Card then amirite?

No?

k :(

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Looks like Jay Demerit is going to announce his retirement this week, which I suppose isn't too surprising.

By the way, Marco Bustos update: he got cut very early in Chile's U-20 camp. Further Bustos update: he was left off Canada's U-20 team for some tournament they're going to in Ireland. If Soccer Canada is ignoring him because of the Chile drama...actually I don't think I have a problem with that.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Looks like Jay Demerit is going to announce his retirement this week, which I suppose isn't too surprising.

By the way, Marco Bustos update: he got cut very early in Chile's U-20 camp. Further Bustos update: he was left off Canada's U-20 team for some tournament they're going to in Ireland. If Soccer Canada is ignoring him because of the Chile drama...actually I don't think I have a problem with that.

Demerit announces his retirement today. Frees up a spot and some cash for a replacement. The Whitecaps could certainly use another solid defender... more like two though.....

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Too bad about Demerit....never fun to retire early due to injury. I really liked him too, best of luck to him in the future.

On another note, I know the team is still relatively new, but I really surprises me how little talked about the team is in Vancouver. Yes they have their core fanbase, but it seems that a lot of Vancouverites (and British Columbians) only think of the Canucks and Lions when they think pro sports in Vancouver. At least that's what I noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->