Proposal: 2014 UFA's

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Yeah, I'm not sure why I can't get it through my head that's he's signed.

I'm still thinking I'm the only one who knows how good he is!

Hiller might not be bad then...

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Glencross - Backlund - Hudler
Byron - Monahan - Colborne
Galiardi - Dal Colle - Jones
Bouma - Stajan - McGrattan

Giordano - Brodie
Wideman - Russell
Butler - Smid

Ramo
Ortio

With this lineup, I would predict a finish around 24th next year.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Giordano - Brodie
Wideman - Russell
Butler - Smid

Ramo
Ortio

I don't think there will be that many prospects turn pro right out of the draft this year, I would bank on not having our 2014 first in the lineup.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I don't think there will be that many prospects turn pro right out of the draft this year, I would bank on not having our 2014 first in the lineup.

You never know. Top five picks are almost guarantees to go pro the first year, and Dal Colle definitely looks great (assuming of course that we select him, although I think we will if we draft fifth).

Admittedly, though, it would probably be better as far as roster management goes to not have him on the team this year so that we don't have to play Stajan on the fourth line.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I honestly wouldn't care if we didn't sign anyone. I like what we have going on here. I did want Downie, but now that we have BVB, he isn't as big of a need.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA

Well, many of us were expecting Monahan to be sent back down to the 67's this year, so who knows. Personally, I would like MDC to go back the the Generals next years because I want him to actually play center. Laughton should be going to the Flyers next year, which will open up first-line center for MDC. I want him to do that for a year before coming to the Flames as a center. Right now he's playing LW and we have plenty of LWs in our system. We want a stud center for a 1-2 punch with Monahan.

I see the future as

Gaudreau-Monahan-Colborne
Baertshi-Dal Colle-Poirier
Agostino-Backlund-Hudler(if he's still here)
Van Brabant-Stajan-Jones

Gio-Brodie
Smid-Russell
Wotherspoon-Sieloff

Ramo

This will probably be far from accurate because we have so many players and not a lot of stand-outs.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
You never know. Top five picks are almost guarantees to go pro the first year.

That's not true at all. Last year was a bit of a special case because it was an amazingly strong draft. In 2012, I think that only Yakupov and Galchenyuk played in the NHL following their draft. The year before, it was only RNH and Landeskog. Even last year, Jonathan Drouin was not put into the NHL right away.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
That's not true at all. Last year was a bit of a special case because it was an amazingly strong draft. In 2012, I think that only Yakupov and Galchenyuk played in the NHL following their draft. The year before, it was only RNH and Landeskog. Even last year, Jonathan Drouin was not put into the NHL right away.

Okay, good point.

JulianHopper*

Giordano - Brodie
Wideman - Russell
Butler - Smid

Ramo
Ortio

More than likely the lineup will be quite different next season.

TJ Galiardi is a RFA, so more than likely gone.

Paul Byron a RFA as well, and possibly gone

Chris Butler, UFA and gone too.

David Jones will be traded or bought out.

Dennis Wideman could possibly be back just because of his injury riddled season.

Then there's Baertschi, Van Brabant, Agostino, Reinhart and Wotherspoon that will be possibly ready to make the jump to the big Flames team here.

Add a couple UFAs the Flames will be signing and this will be quite a different team next season.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
You never know. Top five picks are almost guarantees to go pro the first year, and Dal Colle definitely looks great (assuming of course that we select him, although I think we will if we draft fifth).

Admittedly, though, it would probably be better as far as roster management goes to not have him on the team this year so that we don't have to play Stajan on the fourth line.

No they aren't, as AngleSmith said last year was a bit of a special case. Monahan was also a special case as the 67 were just terrible the last few years. I think your underestimating how hard it is for a 18-19 yearold to turn pro right away (also Burke rarely keeps a player their first year, he is a big believer in giving prospect time)

JulianHopper*

Also, Mike Cammalleri will more than likely be back as well.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
More than likely the lineup will be quite different next season.

TJ Galiardi is a RFA, so more than likely gone.

Paul Byron a RFA as well, and possibly gone

Chris Butler, UFA and gone too.

David Jones will be traded or bought out.

Dennis Wideman could possibly be back just because of his injury riddled season.

Then there's Baertschi, Van Brabant, Agostino, Reinhart and Wotherspoon that will be possibly ready to make the jump to the big Flames team here.

Add a couple UFAs the Flames will be signing and this will be quite a different team next season.

I bet Jones will still be here to make the floor. Byron will be back, he's had a great year

Zoombie

Oct 28, 2011
I agree that Cammalierli and TJ Galiardi will probably be gone.
I think Jones, Butler and Byron will still be here and I don't think Van Bra Bant will be legitimately challenging for an NHL spot.
Baertschi/Agostino/Hanowski/Granlund/Poirier will be fighting for what might be 2-3 spots and will be splitting time in the AHL.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
I don't see many necessary changes this off-season; could easily roll with something like this and still compete as hard as they did this year, while still giving the younger guys their taste with the big club:

Cammalleri-Monahan-Iginla (if by chance he gets his Cup and wants to retire a Flame)
Baertschi-Backlund-Poirier
Glencross-Stajan-Hudler
Bouwma-Granlund-Colborne
Byron-Knight-McGrattan
Westgarth / Van Brabant

Giordano-Brodie
Smid-Russell
Wideman-Wotherspoon
Billins-Sieloff
(Butler, gone or no?)

Ramo

Ortio(?)

You could even subtract Hudler for a higher 2015 pick and move Colborne up to plug either Westgarth or Van Brabant in for more truculence, but - barring injuries - that lineup easily puts Calgary on the better end of those one-goal games more often than it did this year. Add a bruiser on D, factor in the continued emergence of Ramo as a number one in this league, and you might even see a team with that rare combo of skill and character steal a round. To think that'd be with guys like Johnny, Klimchuk and Virtanen (assuming they select him this year) still in the pipeline.. these be some optimistic times for Flames fans. But yeah, not much I'd do with the lineup after removing the dead weight (i.e. Galiardi, Jones). The real dilemma IMO is, who of the remaining guys do you eventually cut loose to make room.. as opposed to adding UFA (other than Iggy).

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
I'd like to see

Callahan - Backlund - Downie
Baertschi - Monahan - Colborne
Glencross - Granlund/Laughton/Dal Colle/Draisaitl - Reinhart
Bouma - Stajan - Byron/D.Jones/McGrattan
McGrattan - D.Jones - Byron

Brodie - Giordano
Smid - Fayne
Schenn - Stone
Cundari

Rämö
Ortio

I'd like to see a lot of youth amd a few new faces. Down the middle we have Backlund, Monahan, Stajan and one of Laughton (trade), Granlund, Dal Colle or Draisaitl. 3/4 of the 3rd line C's are very good defensivly. We'd probably have 4 shutdown C's that would do well against any team. Down the left side we have a little leadership. Callahan (sign) and Glencross would be assistant captains and they both add some truculence. Baertschi looks NHL ready now and should be even better than his 45 PPG pace this year because he'll play some nice D. If there are problems with his D send him down. No problem with that. Replace him with one of the C's, BVB, Wolf, Poirier or Gaudreau. Down the right side we have some size. Downie (sign) gives some leadership as well but still young. Colborne and Reinhart have some good strength and a nice two way game. Gratts and Jones are big as well. Byron plays big.

On D I love the Brodie/Gio pairing. They have done very well. Smid returns as well, Burke loves him. Fayne (sign) is a big guy that uses his size well. He can throw his weight around and use his reach. He keeps players to the outside. He's quick on his feet. Knows when to jump into the rush. You could also sign Matt Niskanen. Differenet styles and Niskanen is better. Luke Schenn (trade) hasn't done well at all but with some good coahing, leadership, and nice puckmover that can play D (Stone) and Burke I think he could do well. He's still very young still as well. Just a couple years younger than Tspoon who I'd like to see 1 more year in the AHL. Defensemen have to worry about so much you don't want to rush them. Exhibit A, Luke Schenn. Michael Stone (trade) has developed into a real nice defenseman that can do it all. Atill young.

Rämö and Ortio have both done real well this year. I see no reason to sign a backup.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad