6.Cammalleri-$6.0 31
7.Kulemin-$2.8 27
8.Grabovski-$3.0 29
9.Ott-$2.95 31
10.Vrbata-$3.0 32
11.Legwand-$4.5 33
12.Seidenberg-$3.25 32
13. Niskanen-$2.3 26

1. Vanek- top line guy, scorer, he is good, love this guy but Kessel took over 1a because he is alot younger
2. Pominville- would look nice beside Wilson
3. Phaneuf- If we cannot get any offensive people here could you imagine a Weber-Josi, Jones-Phaneuf top four
4. Statsny- decent option if others will not come here
5. Thornton- older but still has something left
6. Grabovski- depends alot on what he does this year. I think Caps will be happy with him a the #2C
7. Cammalleri- decent second tier player
8. Kulemin- could be a good player to have on the team if he rebounds this year
9. Ott - a possible Gaustad replacement if he is bought out. I like him alot
10. Legwand- as long as he wants to be a Pred let him as long as it is Cap friendly.
11. Seidenberg- Solid Veteran
12. Vrbata- decent second tier player
13. Niskanen- good solid defenseman

This third list is avg goals scored and the years I used to Calculate.
1. Vanek-31.25 goals - 8 yrs
2. Cammalleri-24.5 goals-8yrs
3. Pominville-23.625 goals- 8yrs
4. Thornton-21.222 goals- 9yrs
5. Vrbata-20 goals-6yrs
6. Stastny-19.285 goals-7yrs
7. Grabovski-18.2goals- 5yrs
8. Legwand-17.285714 goals- 7yrs
9. Kulemin-15 goals-5yrs
10. Ott-14.6 goals- 5yrs
11. Phaneuf- 13.25 goals-8yrs
12. Niskanen- 4.166 goals- 6yrs
13. Seidenberg- 4.166 goals-6 yrs

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Does anybody else here like the thought of signing Stastny? He likely would not be given as much time elsewhere as he would here, as his play has declined since 09/10. I could see him working really well with Wilson on a legitimate top line. I think he's the only one of the true big free agents we have a legitimate shot at.

Also, on the Cammalleri topic, I'm good friends with his family and he has no interest in playing in our defensive system, from what I have heard.

I would love for the Predators to land Stastny. I see people say his play has declined since 09/10 way to often. His play didn't decline...his role changed. He has been placed into a more defensive role since Duchene and O'Reily started playing at a high level. Stastny has a lot left and would be a huge boost to the Predators.

The problem is he isn't going anywhere. The Avs will resign him and he won't hit the open market. If somehow he does though I really hope the Predators go after him. If Smith comes around our top line could be Smith/Stastny/Wilson and if not Forsberg would fit nicely in smiths spot. That could be a legit top line right there.

Preds101

Jul 5, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Pominville hoping for an extension from Minny: http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/225942271.html

Vanek hopeful to sign in Minnesota as he is from there and trains there:
http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/tag/thomas-vanek/

Phaneuf - Another D?

Do we have to spend to the cap each year for the fans to be happy? I have only been a fan of the Preds for a couple years so I wasn't part of the firesale or to see them go through that but I would be okay with the Predators getting a top 3 pick in the next two years and having a chance Sam Reinhart/Connor McDavid and then start a playoff run ala the Blackhawks. I don't want to keep being a perennial playoff bubble team that keeps getting knocked out the first round. I would rather suffer through a few bad years and make it deep in to the playoffs rather then keeping getting mid round draft picks, or wasting trading 1st round picks at the trade deadline only to get knocked off in the first round and not be able to draft high.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Pominville hoping for an extension from Minny: http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/225942271.html

Vanek hopeful to sign in Minnesota as he is from there and trains there:
http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/tag/thomas-vanek/

Phaneuf - Another D?

Do we have to spend to the cap each year for the fans to be happy? I have only been a fan of the Preds for a couple years so I wasn't part of the firesale or to see them go through that but I would be okay with the Predators getting a top 3 pick in the next two years and having a chance Sam Reinhart/Connor McDavid and then start a playoff run ala the Blackhawks. I don't want to keep being a perennial playoff bubble team that keeps getting knocked out the first round. I would rather suffer through a few bad years and make it deep in to the playoffs rather then keeping getting mid round draft picks, or wasting trading 1st round picks at the trade deadline only to get knocked off in the first round and not be able to draft high.

Missing the playoffs costs the team millions of dollars. Drafting early does not guarantee fixing the team ... look at the Oilers and Flames. The team simply cannot afford years of sucking. Just look how the fanbase acts now.

Preds101

Jul 5, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Missing the playoffs costs the team millions of dollars. Drafting early does not guarantee fixing the team ... look at the Oilers and Flames. The team simply cannot afford years of sucking. Just look how the fanbase acts now.

It would cost them money not making the playoffs. But you are happy with 1st round exits every year? And you wouldn't say that the Preds are better drafters then the Oilers or Flames?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
It would cost them money not making the playoffs. But you are happy with 1st round exits every year? And you wouldn't say that the Preds are better drafters then the Oilers or Flames?

A lot is made of the "black hole," constant first round exits, not good enough to be a contender, but not bad enough to get a high draft pick... For me, I'd rather a minimum four extra games a season, and maybe never really become a true Cup contender, than be on the outside looking in year after year banking on the next top draft pick being the guy that will turn it around.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Statsny is too high and Grabo is too low. Phaneuf shouldn't be on the list at all. What do we need with him? We need a veteran second pairing defenseman, and that is the highest it needs to go. Phaneuf is going to cost entirely too much.

Wrap up Legwand because he is the easiest one of the bunch. He also knows the team, the coaches and the system.

I think Grabo is going to earn a sizable contract. Go after him if Jones and one of Ekholm of Bartley look good. We'll have less of a need at the blue line in that event.

I want nothing to do with Statsny unless he is willing to take a decent pay cut. He performed well with very good forwards, and did poorly with average forwards. That doesn't bode well for us if we sign him.

Vanek has shown he would like to sign in Minnesota. To be honest, I'd rather let the Wild and their idiotic owner handcuff themselves with another monster contract than pay Vanek and hope he makes our as-of-yet unseen offense great.

Kessel was wrapped up, so that one is off the table, obviously. I like Kessel, but the money he took in Toronto was way too much for us at the moment.

I love Big Joe, but we need more passers like I need another hole in the head. Until we can ice a legitimate sniper I'd rather not pay more playmakers. His age plus the amount of money he will likely want keep him well away from my wish list.

Cammalleri and Vrbata I'm interested if the price is right. Vrbata has shown the ability to put up points on an offensively starved team (which we very well could be, but it isn't proven yet). Cams has put up points on good offensive teams, and on average-to-below average offensive teams. Either could be a good addition if the price is right.

I think we need to do this:

1) See how our team performs
2) Wait until the new year to pass much judgment
3) Make moves at the deadline that either a) free up cap space, or b) bring in a player or two to plug holes (depending, of course, on how the team looks)
4) Take another look at team needs in May/June

Spending money now isn't a great option.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
I know we are not the only team to pass on Grabo this offseason but after his first game with the caps I can't help but wonder why we didn't go after an offensive player like that when we had the chance...

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005

Nobody is happy with first round exits but you can't make the second or third round if you never make the first. I'm closer to happy with a first round exit than no playoffs.

Have you looked at the Oilers draft picks lately? Gagner, Paajarvi, Hall, RNH, Yakupov, Nurse .... that's just their top ten overall selections in the past six drafts and doesn't include late first rounders like Eberle. Still, seven straight missed post seasons ... 13 of the past 20.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
A lot is made of the "black hole," constant first round exits, not good enough to be a contender, but not bad enough to get a high draft pick... For me, I'd rather a minimum four extra games a season, and maybe never really become a true Cup contender, than be on the outside looking in year after year banking on the next top draft pick being the guy that will turn it around.

Personally, I'm the opposite. IMHO, in a league where over half the league makes the playoffs - just making the 1st round is no great accomplishment.

I'm totally OK with sucking in order to build an elite cup contending team. In fact, the draft lottery and landing Seth Jones was probably as exciting to me as any one of our 1st round beatdowns.

Every single one of the last 5 Cup winners had top 5 draft picks playing significant roles on the team. In fact, go back to the lockout and you can make a case that every single one of those (except the DRW one cup) cup winners hoisted the cup because of players acquired through high draft picks - which they got because they sucked for at least one year.

There are no guarantees - we could suck and then blow the draft pick. People point to the Oilers - multiple high draft picks but no real on ice success (yet). But what about the Blackhawks. Penguins.

That said, I'm not too sure that the longterm health of the franchise is going to be guaranteed by just fielding a happy-to-be-in playoff team every year.

At some point, people are going to want a little more.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I think we need to do this:

1) See how our team performs
2) Wait until the new year to pass much judgment
3) Make moves at the deadline that either a) free up cap space, or b) bring in a player or two to plug holes (depending, of course, on how the team looks)
4) Take another look at team needs in May/June

Spending money now isn't a great option.

100%.

I have no idea if Hendricks, Nystrom or Gaustad are worth their paycheck in our system but Poile thought so, Trotz worked with him on the targets so let's see.

If Jones, Wilson and Forsberg are what many think they're going to be, we might be awesome.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Personally, I'm the opposite. IMHO, in a league where over half the league makes the playoffs - just making the 1st round is no great accomplishment.

I'm totally OK with sucking in order to build an elite cup contending team. In fact, the draft lottery and landing Seth Jones was probably as exciting to me as any one of our 1st round beatdowns.

Every single one of the last 5 Cup winners had top 5 draft picks playing significant roles on the team. In fact, go back to the lockout and you can make a case that every single one of those (except the DRW one cup) cup winners hoisted the cup because of players acquired through high draft picks - which they got because they sucked for at least one year.

There are no guarantees - we could suck and then blow the draft pick. People point to the Oilers - multiple high draft picks but no real on ice success (yet). But what about the Blackhawks. Penguins.

That said, I'm not too sure that the longterm health of the franchise is going to be guaranteed by just fielding a happy-to-be-in playoff team every year.

At some point, people are going to want a little more.

The Blackhawks missed the playoffs in 9 out of 10 years to get those picks. The Penguins missed four seasons in a row, getting five top five picks in a row thanks to the missed 2004-05 season, four top two picks in that span.

They didn't suck for a year.... they sucked for a prolonged period of time. Look how our fanbase reacted to one missed playoffs.

Preds101

Jul 5, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
The Blackhawks missed the playoffs in 9 out of 10 years to get those picks. The Penguins missed four seasons in a row, getting five top five picks in a row thanks to the missed 2004-05 season, four top two picks in that span.

They didn't suck for a year.... they sucked for a prolonged period of time. Look how our fanbase reacted to one missed playoffs.

And will the fans stick around for the next 10 years if we lose in the first round each year and don't gain any new "flashy" players earlier in the draft? We haven't started the season yet and already there is a lot of hype over drafting Seth 4th overall, which will help attendance at the beginning of the season.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
And will the fans stick around for the next 10 years if we lose in the first round each year and don't gain any new "flashy" players earlier in the draft? We haven't started the season yet and already there is a lot of hype over drafting Seth 4th overall, which will help attendance at the beginning of the season.

People are much more likely to stick around when there is at least hope. Hell, we drafted Seth and people complained. Winning helps attendance. Always has no matter the market.

Funny how you've fixated on losing in the first round ... and we haven't even seen the boys play a single meaningful game. I prefer my team have the goal of winning it all as they head into the season not that they draft early in the first round without trading to do so.

Preds101

Jul 5, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
People are much more likely to stick around when there is at least hope. Hell, we drafted Seth and people complained. Winning helps attendance. Always has no matter the market.

Funny how you've fixated on losing in the first round ... and we haven't even seen the boys play a single meaningful game.

I am more then happy with the team they have now. I am just against people who want to go all in at the trade deadline when we are going to be a playoff bubble based on our record at the time. If we have a legitimate shot at winning then I say trade prospects/picks for players but not just for the sake of squeaking in to the playoffs. I am more then excited to see what this year holds, but I am not a fair weather fan and plan to support them even if they have as many injuries as last year and not just walk away.

Last edited by a moderator:

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
I am more then happy with the team they have now. I am just against people who want to go all in at the trade deadline when we are going to be a playoff bubble based on our record at the time. If we have a legitimate shot at winning then I say trade prospects/picks for players but not just for the sake of squeaking in to the playoffs. I am more then excited to see what this year holds, but I am not a fair weather fan and plan to support them even if they have as many injuries as last year and not just walk away.

I have been a fan of this team from day one and used to spend lots of money before an injury took a good chuck of my salary. I Like the team we have this year. I only want to make it better. We still do not have any top line guys on this team as of now who would play top line mins on any team going to be in the cup running this year, end of story period. I believe we have three good second/third lines here. I have been a Poile and Trotz fan from day one but maybe this team could use a differant direction but for that to be effective both the GM and Head Coach would have to go due to the fact that Poile would just replace Trotz with another defensive minded coach. I am not saying fire them but that might be the reason some players do not want to sign here knowing our defensive style. I do not know this for a fact but just at thought. The Predators organization will NEVER win a cup until we spend some money on offense. It is not about loyalty to the Preds, it is not about ripping the team apart. It is about adding to the team we have. We have some very good players like Rinne, Weber, Josi, Wilson, Hornqvist and two 19 year olds in Forsberg and Jones who we hope end up being two more players to carry us for a long time. As a Predators fan it is not about making the playoffs, with me, but I want to see the Cup here someday. Ownership has no problem spending money and showed us that this year. I have know problem with the signings this year and hope all of them do well, only one I am a little nervous over is Hutton. I will be a fan through whatever comes our way. One move that still drives me crazy this year is the fact we let Halischuk go and re-signed Spaling, I do not understand that at all. I was also pushing for preds to sign Grabovski and wished they would have but we cannot cry over spilled milk. This team will do fine this year but when will fine not be enough? This team will make the playoffs this year but when will just making it not be enough? No one on these boards will not agree that we need to get better up front. The future looks good but we need some goal scorers, hopefully Wilson will keep getting better and Forsberg will be a strong asset to this team for years but we need more. When Jones fell into our laps at the draft, at first I was not happy but then I realized We just got the kid everyone had #1 overall and did not even have to win the lottery so I am happy with it now. If all the if's go our way this year, such as if Jones is really that good, If Forsberg can play with the big boys, if we stay healthy, if Rinne stands on his head, if Wilson gets 60 plus points, we will be fine and might surprise people not only in the NHL but right here in Nashville. One more thing I have noticed about people on here is that everyone thinks you hate the Predator if you do a "Value of" post on the trading and free agency section of this board. Calm down a little folks we are all on the same side, just some people want to see what others think about one of our players.
Go Preds. Lets Play some Hockey. Beat the skates off the Blues.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I know we are not the only team to pass on Grabo this offseason but after his first game with the caps I can't help but wonder why we didn't go after an offensive player like that when we had the chance...
Because after a player scores a hat trick and an assist, you'd hope he'd have a better plus-minus than 0? :)

(Granted, two of those goals were on the power play. But still.)

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Has it ever occurred to anyone that it's entirely possible and fairly likely that free agents who get big dollars just simply don't want to sign here? They don't want to commit to 6 or 7 years of their prime to being in Nashville when there's plenty of more well-established and traditional teams throwing the same money at them. The only reason we have Weber for the foreseeable future is we're basically holding him against his will. I'm convinced Poile signed the guys he did this summer because it was plan B. Plan A was to try and get a big name in here, and again, they wouldn't bite. Year after year he gets turned down by the big money guys so he did what he could, and signed guys he knew he had a shot at. Who's more likely to decide to play in Nashville: Eric Nystrom or Vincent LeCavalier? Exactly.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
Has it ever occurred to anyone that it's entirely possible and fairly likely that free agents who get big dollars just simply don't want to sign here? They don't want to commit to 6 or 7 years of their prime to being in Nashville when there's plenty of more well-established and traditional teams throwing the same money at them. The only reason we have Weber for the foreseeable future is we're basically holding him against his will. I'm convinced Poile signed the guys he did this summer because it was plan B. Plan A was to try and get a big name in here, and again, they wouldn't bite. Year after year he gets turned down by the big money guys so he did what he could, and signed guys he knew he had a shot at. Who's more likely to decide to play in Nashville: Eric Nystrom or Vincent LeCavalier? Exactly.

It may be just what you are saying. I do not know and like you have my own opinions. It really does not make since seeing how we have really good players on defense and a top rated Goalie but no offense wants to come here. We must be missing something. Nashville? Coach? System? Non traditional? Who knows but hopefully someone will give us a shot like Kariya did.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Or it could be that big named players won't get the extra endorsements playing in the Nashville market they could get in let's say Philly or Washington. Nor will they get the recognition of individual awards, or media attention. Players have egos and in Nashville, you have to put the team first, some players just can't do that.

I'm not even going to address the Weber part. Some of you will never believe he wants to be here no matter what he actually does or says.

Trotz does demand hard work, and Poile is very passive. I'm sure that's cost us more than one free agent.

Doesn't matter though, this is what we have.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Has it ever occurred to anyone that it's entirely possible and fairly likely that free agents who get big dollars just simply don't want to sign here? They don't want to commit to 6 or 7 years of their prime to being in Nashville when there's plenty of more well-established and traditional teams throwing the same money at them. .....

Here's the thing. Outside of say, 10 teams or so, this can be said about the rest of the league. You say "plenty of more well-established and traditional teams", but is there?? I think there are about 3 teams in Canada and about 7 or 8 in the US that can be described by that.

Also, think about how cyclical that is. About 25 years ago, Edmonton seemed to be the place to be. As little as 10 years ago, Pittsburgh, Chicago, and Washington were terrible and not drawing much of an attendance.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Here's the thing. Outside of say, 10 teams or so, this can be said about the rest of the league. You say "plenty of more well-established and traditional teams", but is there?? I think there are about 3 teams in Canada and about 7 or 8 in the US that can be described by that.

Also, think about how cyclical that is. About 25 years ago, Edmonton seemed to be the place to be. As little as 10 years ago, Pittsburgh, Chicago, and Washington were terrible and not drawing much of an attendance.

While this is true, I think drake also has a point as well, and it's not just the Preds. The 3 California teams have long had to build through trade and drafting rather than the FA market due to an inability to lure top free agents to the West Coast, despite the three of them having a fair degree of success. Same problem for Phoenix, Dallas, St. Louis, and even Vancouver, who despite having some solid teams over the years, just don't seem capable of attracting those top FA names. If you're not relatively close to that NY metro area, in northeastern Canada, or Detroit, Chicago, or Minnesota, you're not likely to get those FAs.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
While this is true, I think drake also has a point as well, and it's not just the Preds. The 3 California teams have long had to build through trade and drafting rather than the FA market due to an inability to lure top free agents to the West Coast, despite the three of them having a fair degree of success. Same problem for Phoenix, Dallas, St. Louis, and even Vancouver, who despite having some solid teams over the years, just don't seem capable of attracting those top FA names. If you're not relatively close to that NY metro area, in northeastern Canada, or Detroit, Chicago, or Minnesota, you're not likely to get those FAs.

That was exactly my point.

By the way, you can scratch Pominville off the list. 5 yrs/$5.6 AAV.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
That was exactly my point.

By the way, you can scratch Pominville off the list. 5 yrs/$5.6 AAV.

Sorry AW, re-reading again and I'm not sure what I read into your post. Definitely agree with you, lol.

Interesting that Leipold still chooses to throw big $ at players despite all those "losses" they've taken the last few years... :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->