2014 UFA's

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
If there is some way on Gods green Earth we could get Pominville and Vanek and put them with Wilson It would be awesome. Before you say I know it is a dream but it does not hurt to dream.

I noticed you named Statsny over Kessel. Do you really believe he is better or are you just a fan of his or something?

I took likeliness to re-sign with their team into consideration when I listed those names.

I don't think Vanek will want to stick around that sinking ship. Statsny could earn a nice payday, and with the forward depth Colorado now posses, I could see them spending the money on defense rather than on him. Poms is more of a hunch.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
we won't have the space to sign a guy like vanek, thornton, kessel, ect unless we let a guy like legwand walk .. we have almost zero contracts coming off the books the next 2 years. the 9 million dollar 4th line is gonna keep us from signing anyone other than maybe a Daniel briere 2.0

BTW our fourth line of Nystrom, Gaustad, Hendricks is not a 9 million dollar line it is not even a 8 million dollar line just thought you should know that.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
I think you are making assumptions based on old data(ie formerly cheap owners)

do you have any reason to believe that the owners wont keep the wallet open next year? the cap will almost certainly go up, so we will have the cap space.

I agree. I believe people forge about the new ownership and some do not realize just how deep some of their pockets are. If I am not mistaken one is a billionaire with a net worth around $1.5 billion.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
predshabs - you're so far from reasonable when it comes to us acquiring star forwards. your proposals lead me to believe you aren't realistic in who we could actually acquire. and if you have no problem with our overpaid fourth line then that's your opinion. i think we will all regret some of our off-season moves fairly quickly. aside from cullen. stalberg is a coin flip.

We could actually aquire anyone willing to come to Nashville to play with the leagues best defenseman in Weber and one of the top four goalies in Rinne. Money talks and we will have plenty of it next summer. I will bet you this our fourth line will probably score more goals than some teams third lines this year if they all stay healthy. Get over the past deal with who we have for now and lets play hockey. Kariya gave us a chance others will sooner or later. This off season was weak and we needed these types of players on our team the grit and sandpaper was gone from this team. Talk to fans of the stars and caps and they will tell you that we got some very good character guys in Nystrom and Hendricks not to mention these guys will not take any crap from others and will protect our top players so players like Weber do not have to. Also one interesting note is that Nystrom was on TSN top 25 free agents.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
BTW our fourth line of Nystrom, Gaustad, Hendricks is not a 9 million dollar line it is not even a 8 million dollar line just thought you should know that.

Ok so roughly 8M over the next 3 years for those three. Myself, and I am assuming others, are counting spaling in there as it looks like he will be a scratch (not even a 4th liner). That's still insanity.

This is what next year will look like, in theory.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Viktor Stalberg ($3.000m) / David Legwand ($3.500m) / Patric Hornqvist ($4.250m)
Eric Nystrom ($2.500m) / Mike Fisher ($4.200m) / Gabriel Bourque ($0.775m)
Filip Forsberg ($1.461m) / Matt Cullen ($3.500m) / Richard Clune ($0.538m)
Taylor Beck ($0.800m) / Paul Gaustad ($3.250m) / Craig Smith ($2.000m)
Matt Hendricks ($1.850m) / Colin Wilson ($2.000m) / Austin Watson ($1.112m)
DEFENSEMEN
Shea Weber ($7.857m) / Roman Josi ($4.000m)
Seth Jones ($3.225m) / Kevin Klein ($2.900m)
Ryan Ellis ($1.500m) / Victor Bartley ($0.667m)
GOALTENDERS
Pekka Rinne ($7.000m)
Magnus Hellberg ($0.925m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,808,810; BONUSES: $3,269,167
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $10,460,357

10M is a lot, but look at the roster space. We don't have any even for our own prospects that need to be brought up into the NHL. We've created a long term log jam at forward with redundant pieces. What teams are going to be interested in Nystrom, Goose, or Hendricks for their cap hit AND length? Not many really.

Unless, of course, you don't bring legwand back, trade Smith etc and bring in top forwards via trade or FA. The difference between Boston, LA, etc and us isn't depth. We have depth, but we lack game breakers up front and scoring depth. They got it.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011

2.5 + 3.25 + 1.8 + clune (900k ?) = 8.5 ~ .. nystrom rumoured on third line .. what a joke.. either way, overpaid redundant pieces... while guys with more of what we need beck, watson, moser sit in Milwaukee. its just trying to fix a problem with band aids. if were gonna go with youth, then go with it. hell, we don't even have room for spaling who id prefer over what these guys cost. fighting is out the door. we dont need 4 guys that hit and fight. just my feelings

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN

Ok thanks for the response.

Ok so roughly 8M over the next 3 years for those three. Myself, and I am assuming others, are counting spaling in there as it looks like he will be a scratch (not even a 4th liner). That's still insanity.

This is what next year will look like, in theory.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Viktor Stalberg ($3.000m) / David Legwand ($3.500m) / Patric Hornqvist ($4.250m)
Eric Nystrom ($2.500m) / Mike Fisher ($4.200m) / Gabriel Bourque ($0.775m)
Filip Forsberg ($1.461m) / Matt Cullen ($3.500m) / Richard Clune ($0.538m)
Taylor Beck ($0.800m) / Paul Gaustad ($3.250m) / Craig Smith ($2.000m)
Matt Hendricks ($1.850m) / Colin Wilson ($2.000m) / Austin Watson ($1.112m)
DEFENSEMEN
Shea Weber ($7.857m) / Roman Josi ($4.000m)
Seth Jones ($3.225m) / Kevin Klein ($2.900m)
Ryan Ellis ($1.500m) / Victor Bartley ($0.667m)
GOALTENDERS
Pekka Rinne ($7.000m)
Magnus Hellberg ($0.925m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,808,810; BONUSES: $3,269,167
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $10,460,357

10M is a lot, but look at the roster space. We don't have any even for our own prospects that need to be brought up into the NHL. We've created a long term log jam at forward with redundant pieces. What teams are going to be interested in Nystrom, Goose, or Hendricks for their cap hit AND length? Not many really.

Unless, of course, you don't bring legwand back, trade Smith etc and bring in top forwards via trade or FA. The difference between Boston, LA, etc and us isn't depth. We have depth, but we lack game breakers up front and scoring depth. They got it.

2.5 + 3.25 + 1.8 + clune (900k ?) = 8.5 ~ .. nystrom rumoured on third line .. what a joke.. either way, overpaid redundant pieces... while guys with more of what we need beck, watson, moser sit in Milwaukee. its just trying to fix a problem with band aids. if were gonna go with youth, then go with it. hell, we don't even have room for spaling who id prefer over what these guys cost. fighting is out the door. we dont need 4 guys that hit and fight. just my feelings

I do not know if you know this but a hockey line consists of three players so we can only count the three who will be on our fourth line. Thanks :sarcasm:

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
lol but if clune who is a 4th liner becomes a scratch then doesn't that still apply to a fourth line? either way, im indifferent and could care less. good luck in fantasy land trying to acquire a kessel, skinner or malkin

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
The big thing this team needs is offense up front. This has been something that we have needed for quite some time. We had years where we had pop up front but for whatever reason, got beat in the playoffs. Now we're back to a sand paper type team in year 15. There needs to be growth in the system and the players we're drafting into the system. While we have some possibilities up front, it's a few years away before they pan out. We went in to free agency and spent a boatload of money on guys that I just don't feel will pan out offensively the way we need them to. Cullen and Stalberg, yes but Nystrom and Hendricks not so much. What ever happened in finding guys that can add sand paper and score to a lineup? Or better yet, guys with character that can put the puck in the net. Cullen is one of those guys with character that has some offense to his game but we have rarely been able to find the guy up front that has either game breaking ability or size/attitude with a scoring touch. It would be nice to find.

Even though Morrow was past his prime, he could've been a guy to bring in to mentor the younger kids who are coming up through the system like Budish, Watson and Beck. A lot can be said about mentors on a team and while it's not the veterans responsibility to take kids under their wing, some guys do and it pays off. Legwand suffered from that because he didn't have anyone to teach him that had more skill or even his skill level. Jones stands to succeed because of Weber. Why do we not have guys on the front end to help the kids? We never really have other than Kariya who taught Erat and Legwand how to be better professionals. Great teams have that in place. Yzerman did it in Detroit. Chicago had a coach in place when Toews and Kane showed up in Savard who they respected and learned from. Once they learned the game to some extent they brought in Quenneville who is a better coach but wouldn't have been able to teach the kids what they got from Savard. I'm hoping Housley is able to do that with Ellis, Ekholm and Jones but we still need someone who can teach the forwards to that extent.

I just don't understand how a team that is starved offensively justifies close to $4.5 million in salary to 4th line grinders when that money could've been better spent on a better offensive player which would've given us more depth in our top 9 which is harder to build than a 4th line.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Looking at the roster, we have six or seven players capable of netting 20+ based on either doing it before or on pace to pass that level before injury last year (Hornqvist, Fisher, Weber, Wilson, Bourque, Stalberg, Legwand) ... plus whatever Forsberg, Beck, Moser bring. Realistically, only about four surpass that point. There isn't much flash, but, there is some talent hidden in the mix.

The great unknown is how the group of forwards we have blends on the ice in game situations. Maybe we see the early and late performance of last season ... maybe the late Feb - early March 3+ goal per game run. There are reasons why we pay to watch the games and don't get paid to hire the players. Starting this week, the rollercoaster begins. None of us have seen the upcoming track so hold on ..... the train is leaving the station. Enjoy your ride.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
For all those complaining about our recent signings, I think we have been signing players based on their willingness to play in Nashville rather than play on the ice.

StarvinArvyn33

Jun 18, 2010
Yesterday

also another thing to note is nystrom will be on our third line....

I dont have a problem with these signings because Poile and co. signed these players with a purpose. Not just getting the "best" players out there (otherwise known as flavor of the month) and seeing who sticks. We also dont even know who was willing to come here or if we'd gamble on an offensive minded forward who would likely flop in a system like nashville aka Grabovski or Ribero. Hortons contract was atrocious, we dont want anything to do with that. We have who we have, move on. We can buy someone out next season if someone sucks... simple as that.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
lol but if clune who is a 4th liner becomes a scratch then doesn't that still apply to a fourth line? either way, im indifferent and could care less. good luck in fantasy land trying to acquire a kessel, skinner or malkin

You named one guy I had on my list in Kessel.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
Welp it's looking like you can take Kessel off your wish lists ... 8 years 64 million

I just noticed that on Tsn. Not like it is a big suprise. I believe free agency might be a thing of the past. Trades, drafting and development are the way the future hockey teams will be built except for the players who are second tier, or play for a horrible team, or are getting older. Hope I am wrong.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
Updated list.

1. Vanek- top line guy, scorer
2. Pominville- would look nice beside Wilson
3. Phaneuf- If we cannot get any offensive people here could you imagine a Weber-Josi, Jones-Phaneuf top four
4. Statsny- decent option if others will not come here
5. Thornton- older but still has something left
6. Grabovski- depends alot on what he does this year. I think Caps will be happy with him a the #2C
7. Cammalleri- decent second tier player
8. Kulemin- could be a good player to have on the team if he rebounds this year
9. Ott - a possible Gaustad replacement if he is bought out. I like him alot
10. Legwand- as long as he wants to be a Pred let him as long as it is Cap friendly.
11. Seidenberg- Solid Veteran
12. Vrbata- decent second tier player
13. Niskanen- good solid defenseman

I wonder if the Predators would be interested in returning the favor to the Flyers next year and offer RFA Brayden Schenn a contract if he is not re-signed by then. Just a thought.

Last edited:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I'd love to grab Pominville, though he'll be expensive. Vanek will look for Kessel money.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I just noticed that on Tsn. Not like it is a big suprise. I believe free agency might be a thing of the past. Trades, drafting and development are the way the future hockey teams will be built except for the players who are second tier, or play for a horrible team, or are getting older. Hope I am wrong.

It's the way most successful teams are built now and have been for a while. Look at the past ten to fifteen years ... Penguins, Blackhawks, Redwings success built on homegrown talent.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
1a.Vanek
1b.Kessel
3.Pominville
4.Thornton
5.Stastny
6.Phaneuf
7.Cammalleri
8.Kulemin
9.Grabovski
10.Ott
11.Vrbata
12.Legwand
13.Seidenberg

The bolded players are the ones I think will really be available. Vanek is going to get paid way more than we will be able to handle. We passed on Grabo this year so I don't see that changing. Cammalleri and Phaneuf will be overpayed for what they are worth. I would love to see us sign Vrbata or Kulemin and could see us being able to afford them but I don't see them hitting the open market.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
I'd love to grab Pominville, though he'll be expensive. Vanek will look for Kessel money.

I wonder what it would take to trade for Pominville?
This is what it took to get him from buffalo:
Buffalo Sabres traded Jason Pominville and a 4th round selection in 2014 to the Minnesota Wild for Matt Hackett, Johan Larsson, a 1st round selection in 2013 and a 2nd round selection in 2014.

Could we afford both Pominville and Vanek depending on who we move to get Pominville if cap goes up to say 70 million?
Just saying if we move smith and Spaling at some point this year that will save us an additional $3.5 million then if you buy out Gaustad if he has a bad injury year, that in itself is enough or almost enough to sign one of them.

Looking at our team the only two players I am really worried about signing over the next three years are Wilson and Bourque, everyone else if just depth players.

nashpreds

Sep 13, 2008
Toronto
Does anybody else here like the thought of signing Stastny? He likely would not be given as much time elsewhere as he would here, as his play has declined since 09/10. I could see him working really well with Wilson on a legitimate top line. I think he's the only one of the true big free agents we have a legitimate shot at.

Also, on the Cammalleri topic, I'm good friends with his family and he has no interest in playing in our defensive system, from what I have heard.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
Does anybody else here like the thought of signing Stastny? He likely would not be given as much time elsewhere as he would here, as his play has declined since 09/10. I could see him working really well with Wilson on a legitimate top line. I think he's the only one of the true big free agents we have a legitimate shot at.

Also, on the Cammalleri topic, I'm good friends with his family and he has no interest in playing in our defensive system, from what I have heard.

I have him at four on my list. Could be a very good addition.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->