Speculation: 2014 UFA targets?

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I don't think it's a smart move to hold off on signing a player this summer when you expect a prospect to move up 1-2 years after that. Players can always be traded, especially high quality d-men.

Most scouting reports I've seen have Morrissey a few years away. It's not a huge deal if he plays a year in the AHL.

I guess I'm thinking Morrissey will be a better player than Clitsome sooner than your timeline, and I would rather he be in the line-up - ahead of Clitsome in the depth chart - rather than playing a year or two in the AHL.

We likely agree Clitsome isn't a legit top 4 dman in the NHL, but Morrissey looks like he will be, and soon.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
As great as I would be I can't see the Jets signing "A List" UFAs Until they are competitive.

If I had the choice to play for a playoff team or a small market basement team I think I'd choose winning.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
I think it's important to point out that every player we improve on our team gets us one step farther away from Connor McDavid. :laugh:

In all seriousness though, Steen would be a great pickup. I don't think we'd be able to get Hiller or another goaltender. The only way we get one of those is either wait for Helley, Comrie of maybe Kasdorf to come up in a few years, or trade for one.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
And I agree with going after Klesla. He is what we need in our 2nd pairing.

And I don't mind Ellerby, for now, on the 3rd pairing. That could be an upgrade on Stuart, Pardy and Postma (different styles), imo.

Edit: though I wish Klesla would stay healthy, but I like a Klesla/Bogo (or Trouba) 2nd pairing. Definitely would be hard to play against.

Last edited:

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
In addition to Alexander Steen, I would also be interested in signing the offspring of Bengt Lundholm and Willy Lindstrom.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Steen
Stastny
Khudobin

Austen Czarnik, Greg Carey, Ryan Walters and / or any other interesting NCAA free agents.

EDIT

JVRs brother will be a college UFA I believe the year after. He will probably get some attention too.

Last edited:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
How realistic are we supposed to be on our wish list? :naughty:

Way I look at it is by splitting it up by chunks...

Top 9
- still have Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Kane, Scheifele and Frolik
- lose Jokinen and Setoguchi (not saying won't or shouldn't be re-signed)
- O`Dell in the mix
- need two UFA's

4th line + 1-2 pressbox
- still have Tangradi, Slater, Halischuk, Wright, Peluso
- lose Thorburn (not saying won't or shouldn't be re-signed)
- Cormier and Samson are in the mix and not free of waivers
- Lowry and Lipon are in the mix but free of waivers
- probably best to fill internally unless some crazy good waiver opportunity arises

Top 4 D
- still have Enstrom, Byfuglien and Bogosian
- still have hole from Hainsey
- Clitsome and Trouba in the mix
- would prefer this filled by UFA for #4 but it's tough

Bottom pair D + 1-2 pressbox
- still have Clitsome, Trouba, Ellerby, Redmond, Postma
- lose Pardy and Stuart (not saying won't or shouldn't be re-signed)
- Melchiori, Chiarot, Kichton, Morrissey, Kulda in mix (I think Chiarot may be subjective to waivers but not sure)
- probably best to fill internally unless some crazy good waiver opportunity arises

Goaltending
- still have Pavelec
- lose Montoya (not saying won't or shouldn't be re-signed)
- Pasquale, Oki, Hutch in mix
- would prefer an UFA who can share a good load of starts

Summary:
Need 2 top 9 pieces and would like a #4D and 1B goalie

I'd like one of the top 9 pieces to be top 6 capable, preferably someone who drive possession without being sheltered (which isn't really Setoguchi or Jokinen). The second one is a little more flexible to what the Jets' can afford.

#4D doesn't have to be any particular style, so long as they can play tough minutes without drowning extraordinarily.

1B goalie just has to as good as Pavelec (easier done than some think).

Other than that... meh... don't really care about particular names or if by UFA or trade.

theamazingchris

Jan 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I agree with garret. We'll need a top-6 RW, a middle-6 C, a #4D, and a 1B goalie. If Gooch and Joker do good, Trouba and/or Clitsome step up, and Montoya plays well, we might not need to shop around. If these guys don't perform up to those standards, we will have to shop around. Simple enough.

Last edited:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

Top 9
- O`Dell in the mix
- need two UFA's

4th line + 1-2 pressbox

Top 4 D

- Melchiori, Chiarot, Kichton, Morrissey, Kulda in mix (I think Chiarot may be subjective to waivers but not sure)

Goaltending
- still have Pavelec

Summary:

I'd like one of the top 9 pieces to be top 6 capable, preferably someone who drive possession without being sheltered (which isn't really Setoguchi or Jokinen). The second one is a little more flexible to what the Jets' can afford.

#4D doesn't have to be any particular style, so long as they can play tough minutes without drowning extraordinarily.

Other than that... meh... don't really care about particular names or if by UFA or trade.

Our top 4D includes Trouba imo. I would place trouba over Bogo actually, based on Trouba's limited number of games so far.

theamazingchris

Jan 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Our top 4D includes Trouba imo. I would place trouba over Bogo actually, based on Trouba's limited number of games so far.

True, but it's right there in your statement; it's a limited number of games. Trouba may well struggle, like many rookies do. If he does, it would be foolish not to get someone to help share the load. It depends on how Trouba plays when he comes back, and who knows when that'll be.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

I believe I mentioned that Trouba is in the mix... That's what it means.

Although, historically I wouldn't put Trouba over Bogosian yet in any certainty.

Trouba has had great flashes, but his results still point out to a d-man needing sheltering.

Bogosian at least has excelled under tough minutes before.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

Top 9
- O`Dell in the mix
- need two UFA's

4th line + 1-2 pressbox

Top 4 D

Goaltending
- still have Pavelec

Summary:

Good post, garret.

Summary:

I'm there with you.

IMO, our 2 - top 9 pieces includes at least one center (to replace Olli), who can put up decent points with a strong 2-way game. Would also likely include a RW'er (to replace Seto). That, to me, is a key in moving this team forward. Finding those pieces. I like our C prospects (Petan, Lowry, Copp, Olsen), but they'll need time to develop. Jury is still out on O'Dell. He's a big ?, at best.

But, a true #1 goalie would make a considerable difference to this team. It took some time for me to come around to that fact, but when this team gets solid goaltending, it can play with anyone. If we get 'Jimmy Howard'-type goaltending, as he displayed last night, the Jets would be knocking on the playoff door, IMO. That will have to be an area of focus for Chevy.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
With both SJ and StL looking at playoff runs, can't see any way they don't make Thornton, Marleau, Steen rich and happy before "February-ish". Ala Anaheim with Perry and Getzlaf.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I'd really like to take a crack at Jonas Hiller (or Ryan Miller, but I think he'll be dealt and signed before he ever hits FA). It's no mystery that I'm not the biggest Pavelec fan and at worst we desperately need someone to push him to be better in that starting role.

I'm also one of the biggest Paul Stastny fans around and I think it's almost a guarantee that this is his last year in Colorado. I keep hoping that every time we face the Avalanche we play extremely well to impress him. Doesn't hurt that we also have a few American guys that may be with him during the Olympics. My biggest concern is that Colorado deals him around the deadline to shore up their defensive situation.

Steen is also really interesting and I love him as a player, but I think St. Louis will do absolutely everything in their power to keep him. Even if it requires an overpayment and that's something they almost never do as an organization. The only way I can see him hitting FA is if it's his own decision to leave St. Louis and I'm not totally sure why he would.

I don't think guys like Big Joe or Lundqvist ever hit the market.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Why is Carolina sheltering him now then? Or am I reading the advanced stats wrong?

I think you are...
* Hainsey has the toughest d-zone : o-zone ratio
* Hainsey is 2nd in CAR d-men QoC looking at opponents relative Corsi, 3rd if you use opponents relative ice time

But also being sheltered is not the same thing as needing sheltering. :)

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I'd like to see us fish in the discount bin a little more. Grab a guy or 2 who end up signing for 1 year in the 1-2 million range who could end up bringing a lot more value, forward and defence. No risk in those deals and it gives us some depth that is lacking.

Barring a spectacular recovery, I think a Pavelec buyout has to be strongly considered with 3 more seasons to go on that deal.

Cost of the buyout in cap space:

2014-15: $1,566,667 ($3.9 mil without buyout)
2015-16: $1,066,667 ($3.9 mil without buyout)
2016-17: $566,667 ($3.9 mil without buyout)
2017-18: $1,416,667
2018-19: $1,416,667
2019-20: $1,416,667

Personally if I were Chevy I'd be trying to trade for an undervalued/surplus goalie from another team at the deadline, Bryan Murray style.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
For those that are unaware I'd like to point out that the cap should be somewhere around 70-72 million this season. It was only a clause in the CBA which has artificially lowered the cap for this season. Expect a 75+ million dollar cap next year. Perhaps as high as 78/79 million is what some hockey experts are saying.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
For those that are unaware I'd like to point out that the cap should be somewhere around 70-72 million this season. It was only a clause in the CBA which has artificially lowered the cap for this season. Expect a 75+ million dollar cap next year. Perhaps as high as 78/79 million is what some hockey experts are saying.

I have to think that if/when it jumps up to that kind of level the Jets will go back to being a "mid-cap" team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->