Speculation: 2014 UFA targets?

Discussion in 'Winnipeg Jets' started by allan5oh, Nov 5, 2013.

View Users: View Users
  1. allan5oh

allan5oh Has prospect fever

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/

What are your targets for this summers free agency? My list:

- Joe Thornton
    - Alexander Steen
    - Rusty Klesla
    - Jonas Hiller (buyout Pavelec)
    - Dave Bolland

Steen would be a great target, but I don't know which one of Kane/Ladd/Steen would want to play on the right side. It would be sweet having four first line wingers. Steen can also play center.

Lundqvist is the most desirable goalie out of the bunch, but I don't see him going to free agency. I think Jonas Hiller is a reasonable target, we could even slip Anaheim a reasonable conditional draft pick for his negotiation rights. I see him as a tier below Miller, but much easier to get. The age of these goalies is of no concern, sign them for ~3 years and that fits well with our development plan, by then we'll know where our goalie prospects fit.

We can't pick up all of these guys. But if we can't get Jumbo Joe, Bolland is a great consolation prize and would really solidify us down the middle.

Klesla is a guy I think we need, solid positionally and defensively. Wouldn't cost much either. We could even get him now if we wanted to. Think of him as an upgrade on Hainsey.

I don't know how much money we'll have in the summer either. Seto could be gone or even sign cheaper than he is now, Frolik is an oddball of a player who is hard to gauge. I see Jokinen (4.5), Stuart (1.7), and Thorburn (866k) not coming back, or coming back much cheaper as a stop gap. Pavelec has a high chance of being bought out and a better starter brought in, which could cost us a million or more in cap space.

If the cap goes up to $70 million and those three don't re-sign, we may have around $13 million to spend. That probably wouldn't even get us Thornton and Steen.

2. cheswick

cheswick Non-registered User

A little early for a wish list. The vast majority of big names will be signed before they ever reach free agency.

And it'd be extremely risky buying out Pavelic then try replacing him via free agency. What if you can't sign one of the big names?

3. koth

koth Registered User

Uh, there's no way Joe Thorton is coming to Winnipeg. He's still going to fetch a huge contract, and will be signing with San Jose again.

4. allan5oh

It's never too early!

That's why conditional trades exist. We slide a conditional 5th to Anaheim for Hiller before the deadline. If we cannot sign him before the deadline to buyout Pavelec, we keep Pavelec and get our 5th back.

5. allan5oh

You guys are no fun. No fun at all.

6. Channelcat

Channelcat Registered User

no
    Hate to be the usual killjoy, but guys like Thornton, Steen, Moulson, Vanek etc won't even be looked at. Maybe if the price is right they'll go after another 2/3 center like Bolland, Ott, Stajan but even with that calibre of UFA the price will be high. If Olli continues to have a good year, I would expect them to offer another 1 or 2 year deal but thats about it.

Bear in mind, they have only 1M in cap space, that will go up next year and may provide enough room to re-sign Seto, Frolik and Stuart (unlikely they'll resign Stuart IMO) and not much else.

7. cheswick

cheswick Non-registered User

This team was never going to be built on the back of free agent signings. From the begining they have said it was through the draft.

With that said there has been one positive development in the last little while in regards to luring free agents. The Bush era tax cuts for the wealthy have expired in the US. So now Winnipeg is a relatively more attractive market for after tax income than it was previously. I think we went from near the bottom to mid pack in terms of percentage of income you get to keep.

8. JetsHomer

JetsHomer Registered User

Even if the cap doesn't go up the Jets will have 18 million to sign a back-up goalie, a bottom pair defender and two forwards. If they let Jokinen or Seto go they easily have enough money to make a move on Steen or Vanek, if they become FA.

9. lanky

lanky Registered User

Setoguchi

10. Jesus Christ Horburn

Jesus Christ Horburn Registered User

The list starts and ends with Alex Steen.

His ridiculous start almost guarantees that he'll hit the open market, unless St. Louis is willing to give him 5+ million a year. Once he's on the market, no guarantees he'll sign here or that the Jets will even extend a competitive offer, but he's one player that I believe wants to be a Winnipeg Jet.

Aside from him, I'd go hard after Paul Stastny. He was Wheeler's linemate in Germany and they had good chemistry together. With Little/Stastny/Scheifele down the middle, or just Stastny/Scheifele with Little going back to RW, we'd really balance out the line up.

11. Huffer

Huffer Registered User

If he makes it to UFA, the Jets need to go and make their best pitch to get Steen IMO. Play him at centre, move someone to the right, whatever, he would be a huge add on both sides of the puck.

Stastny would be a nice guy to try to sign as well if the cap goes up a bit. If the cap doesn't go up much though and Scheifele and Jokinin have decent seasons, maybe re signing Jokinin to much less $ to play 3C wouldn't be so bad.

Agreed on Klesla possibly being a nice add, just depends on what the team wants to do with Stuart and Clitsome (not saying they are better, just that the team would need to make decisions on them), and what the team feels they want to do with Morrissey next year.

12. Bob E

Bob E Registered User

Would prefer the Jets made a deal soon, to have a player helping out to make the playoffs now, than overpaying in FA.

That said, if they could get ANY of the Ducks four goalies - including Gibson - that would be ideal, imo. I'm sure they won't come cheap, but I think this team is a strong starting goaltender away from making some playoff noise.

That and a #2 C, still. Olli just isn't a good player. Watch him closely. Very closely. A guy like Steen or ROR in the #2 slot would make a huge difference. Huge. Scheif can handle the #3 role, and continue to find his way and gain experience. Games like last night will be more frequent in the future.

13. allan5oh

Enstrom - Buff
    Klesla - Bogosian
    Clitsome - Trouba

Redmond/Postma

Don't re-sign Stu. If it's late in the game and we're down move Trouba to the 2nd line to provide more offense. The above top 6 could all get fairly even minutes and it wouldn't be an issue like it is now. Clitsome would still get some PP time.

Morrissey isn't an issue, I see him being in the big show 16/17 at the earliest. By then Klesla is getting older and Clitsome is coming off contract. Works quite well actually.

As far as Steen signing in Winnipeg:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/nhls-steen-invests-1m-in-family-fun-park-204992561.html

14. koth

koth Registered User

Haha, sorry.

I think Joe Thorton and Lunqvist would look awesome in Jets jerseys!

15. jetkarma*

jetkarma* Guest

Mark Chipman has always stated that True North would indeed pursue a significant FA , it would just have to be the right player and the right time.

A player to elevate the team to the next level , which presumably would be a serious play off team if not more.

Having that type of player willing/wanting to sign in Winnipeg is another part of the scenario of course. Not that it falls to Winnipeg being an unwanted destination , more that a lot has to fit for the player overall.

When healthy , and he hopefully has gotten past the concussion issues , Alexander Steen is a great player . This season the scoring has matched the overall skill , smarts and nuances of his game . Of course we all know of his father , but he has ties to the city otherwise and this at least would make it a consideration imo .

Saying that , with the cap going up I highly doubt more than a couple premium players get to FA. Still , we shouldn't just dismiss this as a never going to happen , as I believe True North would take that major step to take a major step. They have said so and I do believe them.

16. Winnipeg Jets

Winnipeg Jets Lucky #7

I'd like to see how our prospect/minor league players are doing before going out and inserting FA additions. If we don't see anyone ready to make the jump and actually contribute to the NHL club then we're going to fill those hole with free agents.

Someone I'd be interested in acquiring would be a Bolland type 3rd line centre who is capable of filling in on the second line should injuries arise. It's all mostly dependent on how Olli performs this year.

17. bazaaa*

bazaaa* Guest

What kind of deal will Steen get? I think he'll get more than his value, but with connections here, this might be our best bet.

18. Huffer

Huffer Registered User

I'm all for that lineup. We would have to keep both Redmond and Postma on the roster or deal one of them as both would be subject to waivers. Morrissey likely doesn't make the team next year, but I think 15/16 is possible on the bottom pair.

And you don't need to "sell" me on Steen. I'm President of the "Bring Steen to the Jets" movement. And I'm pretty sure I posted that link back in April. ;)

19. allan5oh

It would likely involve Postma being traded. I see Redmond as being a great #7.

It's possible but not optimal because that means Clitsome is still on the second pairing.

I know I know, that link was more for all rather than just you.

20. Bob E

Bob E Registered User

I think you're off a bit on Morrissey's arrival on two accounts - his play and his contract.

If the Jets were to make a move to shore up their forward ranks (which likely means taking on some salary), a guy like Morrissey, who played very well during the pre-season and is on an affordable ELC, could find his way the squad sooner than later. I understand the 'bulking up' concern, but the kid is a very smart player (Enstrom-like) and may force his way on the team sooner rather than later.

21. allan5oh

I don't think it's a smart move to hold off on signing a player this summer when you expect a prospect to move up 1-2 years after that. Players can always be traded, especially high quality d-men.

Most scouting reports I've seen have Morrissey a few years away. It's not a huge deal if he plays a year in the AHL.

22. YWGinYYZ

YWGinYYZ RIP Fugu

Morrissey's already bigger than Enstrom, though Enstrom is probably stronger due to his age, etc. I could see Morrissey here for the 15/16 season. Any sooner and he'd have to be exceptional in the WHL and with his development.

That said, I wouldn't count him out in terms of forcing the Jets hand. His skating is elite, and he's got great hockey IQ.

So, I agree? :laugh:

23. Bob E

Bob E Registered User

I see where you're coming from.

If Clitsome isn't better than Morrissey, then doesn't it make sense to play Josh ahead of Clitsome anyway. I'm all for upgrading Clitsome, and not having him on the 2nd pairing for the entire length of his contract.

24. jetkarma*

jetkarma* Guest

I know you are the President :thumbu:

Have known and followed his career from his elementary days and seen literally hundreds of his games . A caller to the roundtable last year mentioned getting Steen and RR basically said the caller wanted him because of his father/Winnipeg ties and asked why he thought he was good , RR intimating he didn't think so .

I had to inform RR why he indeed was, is an elite player and suggested he watch the game , well lets say differently . Very pleased to see his offense at the level it is but that isn't making him a great player , he already was. His frustration , compete level , want really was affected by the playoff loss last year. I love that personally.

25. surixon

surixon Registered User

I would quite like Bolland on the this team and I think he'd really help.

But if Olli continues to play well and we can bring him back at a cheaper amount I'd be quite fine with that as well.

I quite like the Klesla idea myself and think he'd fit in really well on our second pairing.