2014 Subway Super Series: Opportunistic Russians blank the OHL

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
darnell_nurse_team_ohl_111314_1.jpg
Photo: Team OHL captain and Edmonton Oilers prospect Darnell Nurse speaks with the media after being named his team’s Player of the Game in the OHL’s 4-0 loss to Team Russia at the 2014 Subway Super Series (courtesy of Ken McKenna)

Team Russia rode a solid goaltending performance mixed with some opportunistic scoring to win the first of their two Subway Super Series games against Team OHL, 4-0. The win was also the Russians third in three games in this year’s series, with the first two coming at the expense of Team WHL.

Much of the Russian squad that hit the ice in Peterborough, ON was playing their third game in four days, and it showed in the first period of this contest.… read more

The post 2014 Subway Super Series: Opportunistic Russians blank the OHL appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Why don't you just call it what you want to call it. "Lucky Russians scrape by this time."

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
It looked like a well earned win to me. Much is made of the shots on goal differential, which is more about differences in philosophy that any differences in quality on the ice. The Canadians fell behind early in all of the matches, which caused them to press hard on the forecheck and blast away at the net. Also, they had more power plays, although they did a great job in killing them. In fact, at times it looked like men among boys out there, with the Russians dominating in the physical game. It will be interesting to see how the Russians perform after getting a few days of rest?

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Russia looked pretty tired last night against the OHL in their 5-1 Loss. Tonight Russia is already down 2-0 to the Q!

Man I can't wait for the WJC @ Xmas! :yo:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Russia looked pretty tired last night against the OHL in their 5-1 Loss. Tonight Russia is already down 2-0 to the Q!

Man I can't wait for the WJC @ Xmas! :yo:

Well, you obviously have no idea about the roster. They were not tired, they had the last row candidtaes in the roster. Same for the yesterday's game. Bragin was giving away last chances to the guys who've had the worst showing in the series so far. And they confirmed their poor status. That's it.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
It will be interesting to see how many CHL guys make the team. I can't think of anyone who has impressed. Barbashev was considered a lock, but he showed nothing on Tuesday. I thought Svechnikov would show more than he did. It will be interesting to see who shows up tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad