Pre-Game Talk: 2014 Sochi Thread- General Thread

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
lol, Berra shows one of his signature moves: a very soft goal.

Swedes win 1-0.

Still, Berra let in 1 goal on 31 shots.

YvEN9.png

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I'm not a figure skating fan (despite how much a talk about it on here :laugh:) but Chan is a true Canadian, he is so humble and down to earth and there is no way he should apologize for getting silver when the kid the bet him set a world record in the short.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
lol, Berra shows one of his signature moves: a very soft goal.

Swedes win 1-0.

It wasn't that bad. It was the perfect example of Berra's career, he played amazing for most of the game and wasn't expected to win and one mental mistake costs him the game. I wouldn't laugh at him as they Swiss would had no right winning (if they had) without him, he may not be Hiller but to lose 1-0 to Sweden when your most offensive forward is El Nino.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It wasn't that bad. It was the perfect example of Berra's career, he played amazing for most of the game and wasn't expected to win and one mental mistake costs him the game. I wouldn't laugh at him as they Swiss would had no right winning (if they had) without him, he may not be Hiller but to lose 1-0 to Sweden when your most offensive forward is El Nino.

Berra's career is what, 20 or so games old? :laugh:

I agree. The fact that he was stellar for the rest of the game is what we should care about, as Flames fans. If he can work the bad goals out of his game, he'll be a good asset for us.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Berra's career is what, 20 or so games old? :laugh:

I agree. The fact that he was stellar for the rest of the game is what we should care about, as Flames fans. If he can work the bad goals out of his game, he'll be a good asset for us.

So European leagues don't count? :laugh:

You dam NA are so closed minded :laugh:

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Well, did he let in softies in the Euro leagues? That is something I don't know. I was just assuming that no one watched him play in Europe.

Yea I was making a joke :laugh:

Either way I was proud of Berra, we all know that its a step down from Hiller to Berra and for him to only give up one (even if weak) was very impressive with that Swedish lineup.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Loungo is known for letting in soft goals to, the key for a goalie is to stop the ones when they count and when the game is on the line. From the sounds of things Berra played a solid game and was the 2nd star, will be interesting to see if he gets played again. The fact that the Swiss chose to play him against the Swedes is pretty cool.

Berra totally needs to work on his game, but goalies are the hardest position to develop I think. He has some good potential and I think he's a good guy.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Loungo is known for letting in soft goals to, the key for a goalie is to stop the ones when they count and when the game is on the line. From the sounds of things Berra played a solid game and was the 2nd star, will be interesting to see if he gets played again. The fact that the Swiss chose to play him against the Swedes is pretty cool.

It seems like the European teams really don't care about the round robin, judging by the stuff CBC was saying today. I think the Swiss were assuming a loss against Sweden and just wanted to try to win two out of the first three games, hence resting Hiller for the game against the Czech Republic.

Also, would you not say that the third period in a 0-0 game is "when it counts and the game is on the line?"

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
IF we have to lose the Futurama theme after this year, can we replace it with King of the Hill "I'll tell ya hwwhat" that would be superb. Just a request/suggestion.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Yea I was making a joke :laugh:

Either way I was proud of Berra, we all know that its a step down from Hiller to Berra and for him to only give up one (even if weak) was very impressive with that Swedish lineup.

The Swedes didn't play THAT good though.

I think it's between USA/Russia/Canada for the medals; Sweden just has too many injuries I think.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Also, would you not say that the third period in a 0-0 game is "when it counts and the game is on the line?"

Yes for sure, like I was saying his game needs some work. I can live with an occasional soft goal, but he needs to learn to stop that big one when the game matters, he didn't do that today but he played solid. Berra has a lot to like and lots of room for growth, if he can become like Kipper in the sense where he learns to stop them when it matters, I can live with an occasional soft goal. Grant Fuhr was like that to and that's the kind of goalie you want, and that's all confidence IMO. Berra has the tools, hopefully he can put it together.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
The Swedes didn't play THAT good though.

I think it's between USA/Russia/Canada for the medals; Sweden just has too many injuries I think.

No they weren't at their best but their roster is still better than almost any NHL team and Berra' roster is worse than any NHL roster to lose only 1-0 is still dam impressive.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
No they weren't at their best but their roster is still better than almost any NHL team and Berra' roster is worse than any NHL roster to lose only 1-0 is still dam impressive.

I think you're seriously underestimating the Swiss roster; they always come up big in games no matter what their roster looks like.

Richi

Oct 20, 2013
Well, did he let in softies in the Euro leagues? That is something I don't know. I was just assuming that no one watched him play in Europe.

It´s really hard to judge his performance since he played for a very weak defensive team and hence his stats weren´t that conclusive. Still, he managed to get his team into the playoffs more than once and most experts agree that this was only due to his amazing performances. When the playoff race was at it´s tightest he usually led his team to a win. So he doesn´t appear to have any mentality issues.

These weak goals everyone is talking about usually come from a bad rebound control and positioning, a thing that most likely has to do with him adjusting to the NA playing style. Changing anything about your performance often is a big issue for a goaltender and it takes time to readjust. Once he has a couple of games without a weak goal he should regain his self-confidence and become the goaltender he´s supposed to be.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Canada will be facing an actual legit G next game. Not sure who the Finns are planning to go with but Lehtonen started the last one. I hope they keep Duchene in the line-up and put him in a position to use his obvious speed prowess but I suspect he's the likely F scratch again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad