• Poll closed .

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Last edited by a moderator:

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
Haha. I'll have to check that out. There are even some Sharks fans that still spell his name wrong.
Nope. Looks like i was corrected after the first one and then went back to the wrong spelling after that haha, my bad, will fix that :oops:

Anyways steal of a pick that LABANC is, will easy breasy be a 1st rounder in this redraft

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
Olofsson drafted #181 overall in 2014.

Criminal to not have him on the list imo.
Criminal? Over react much bub? All you had to do was ask to add him, not like hed of been picked yet anyways, is not that big a deal :shakehead

Reactions: Kdotsection88

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
idk about arvidsson ahead of a 23 year old all situations #1 defenseman
If Ekblad is your #1 all-situations D, I wouldn't have high expectations for the team he's placed in that role for. He's at best a good #2. He simply doesn't have the skating or passing to be the type of reliable puck-mover you want from your #1 d-man. The guy is pretty inept offensively at 5v5 for a modern-day #1 too.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
If Ekblad is your #1 all-situations D, I wouldn't have high expectations for the team he's placed in that role for. He's at best a good #2. He simply doesn't have the skating or passing to be the type of reliable puck-mover you want from your #1 d-man. The guy is pretty inept offensively at 5v5 for a modern-day #1 too.

ekblad had 1 less even strength point than hedman, 3 less than suter, 2 more than pietrangelo, 5 more than OEL, and 7 more than doughty

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
ekblad had 1 less even strength point than hedman, 3 less than suter, 2 more than pietrangelo, 5 more than OEL, and 7 more than doughty
And, most of those guys were having down years offensively. Let's also ignore that two of the guys you chose played 10 and 11 fewer games. This was arguably Pietrangelo worst year offensively in awhile. Pietrangelo puts up .98 p/60 at 5v5 over the past 3 years, Ekblad has .78 p/60 at 5v5.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
And, most of those guys were having down years offensively. Let's also ignore that two of the guys you chose played 10 and 11 fewer games. This was arguably Pietrangelo worst year offensively in awhile. Pietrangelo puts up .98 p/60 at 5v5 over the past 3 years, Ekblad has .78 p/60 at 5v5.

ekblad was also 22 and 21 in the years before this one.

also they missed 10/11 games which is like 3 more even strength points added. doesnt change the numbers by much.

you said hes inept offensively 5v5 for a #1 but hes right there with these other #1 dmen and elite dmen.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
ekblad was also 22 and 21 in the years before this one.

also they missed 10/11 games which is like 3 more even strength points added. doesnt change the numbers by much.

you said hes inept offensively 5v5 for a #1 but hes right there with these other #1 dmen and elite dmen.
His per-minute basis is worse than pretty much all of them but Doughty and tied with Ekman-Larsson. He hasn't finished among the top 30 d-man in 5v5 total points since his sheltered usage in 2015/16. I mean, the gap between him and Hedman is massive on a per-minute basis at 5v5. Pietrangelo averages around .96 per 60. He hasn't broken 40 points yet in all situations. He doesn't move the puck particularly well shown by his assist numbers, and he isn't a great skater. There really isn't a case for Ekblad being a legit all-situations number 1 at this point. His offensive production, nor his underlying metrics or eye test supports it.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
His per-minute basis is worse than pretty much all of them but Doughty and tied with Ekman-Larsson. He hasn't finished among the top 30 d-man in 5v5 total points since his sheltered usage in 2015/16. I mean, the gap between him and Hedman is massive on a per-minute basis at 5v5. Pietrangelo averages around .96 per 60. He hasn't broken 40 points yet in all situations. He doesn't move the puck particularly well shown by his assist numbers, and he isn't a great skater. There really isn't a case for Ekblad being a legit all-situations number 1 at this point. His offensive production, nor his underlying metrics or eye test supports it.

hes the #1 dman playing in all situations on the team with the second most points without making the playoffs this year. not exactly a bottom feeder

his 5v5 production numbers were already discussed, this year at 22/23 he was right there with other similar dmen.
his assist numbers are lower because they run yandle on the powerplay constantly since hes arguably top 3 powerplay defensemen

thats the role he was just playing at 22/23 years old.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
hes the #1 dman playing in all situations on the team with the second most points without making the playoffs this year. not exactly a bottom feeder

his 5v5 production numbers were already discussed, this year at 22/23 he was right there with other similar dmen

thats the role he was just playing at 22/23 years old.
He was #1 D-man on a bad team. That doesn't make him a legit #1 or even a top 31 defender in the league. Vancouver had 5 less points, and they don't have someone I would classify as a #1 D-man either, and they were just as close to the Canucks as a playoff spot.

His production wasn't great. Pietrangelo and Hedman's were significantly better when you actually look at the context instead of just looking at raw points, while ignoring minutes and games missed. He wasn't top 30 in total points at 5v5 or on a per-minute basis at 5v5 (among guys who got over 1000 minutes).

Reactions: AB13

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
He was #1 D-man on a bad team. That doesn't make him a legit #1 or even a top 31 defender in the league. Vancouver had 5 less points, and they don't have someone I would classify as a #1 D-man either, and they were just as close to the Canucks as a playoff spot.

His production wasn't great. Pietrangelo and Hedman's were significantly better when you actually look at the context instead of just looking at raw points, while ignoring minutes and games missed. He wasn't top 30 in total points at 5v5 or on a per-minute basis at 5v5 (among guys who got over 1000 minutes).

what context? his actual production was on par with them.

you can change the stats around and add cut offs and restrictions but the actual results are there.

you are bringing up the comparisons from 2 years ago when ekblad was a 20 year old dman vs those other guys in their primes. im not saying hes better than those guys, but your knock on him was 5v5 production when his 5v5 production wasnt actually bad.

he is a poor skater, wont argue that.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
what context? his actual production was on par with them.

you can change the stats around and add cut offs and restrictions but the actual results are there.

you are bringing up the comparisons from 2 years ago when ekblad was a 20 year old dman vs those other guys in their primes. im not saying hes better than those guys, but your knock on him was 5v5 production when his 5v5 production wasnt actually bad.

he is a poor skater, wont argue that.
Well, Pietrangelo and Hedman's production was significantly better. I won't argue Ekman-Larsson and Doughty, who play for two of the lowest-scoring teams in the league. Both are also viewed as number #1's more for prior accomplishments than anything they did this season.

I used the 1000 minute cut-off because that is a reasonable one to use for a top-pairing D-man. If I lower it, he'd place much lower because of players who had small sample sizes and played well offensively. If anything, using that cut-off benefits Ekblad.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Well, Pietrangelo and Hedman's production was significantly better. I won't argue Ekman-Larsson and Doughty, who play for two of the lowest-scoring teams in the league. Both are also viewed as number #1's more for prior accomplishments than anything they did this season.

I used the 1000 minute cut-off because that is a reasonable one to use for a top-pairing D-man. If I lower it, he'd place much lower because of players who had small sample sizes and played well offensively. If anything, using that cut-off benefits Ekblad.

how is their production significantly better?

petro paced lower than ekblad and hedman paced like 3-4 points higher than him on an absolute powerhouse of a team.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
how is their production significantly better?

petro paced lower than ekblad and hedman paced like 3-4 points higher than him on an absolute powerhouse of a team.
On a per-minute basis here are their numbers. Pietrangelo had a down year compared to previous season but was still better. Hedman's are in a different universe. Pietrangelo's are close, but as stated, it was a down year offensively for him. Between 2013-2018 Pietrangelo put up 1.05/60 at 5v5, Ekblad for his career is 0.83/60, with his best years coming in more sheltered usage, his best numbers in that regard actually come at 18 and 19.

Hedman: 1.14/60 at 5v5
Pietrangelo: 0.85/60 at 5v5
Ekblad: 0.76/60 at 5v5

I'm not saying Ekblad is a bad player. But I absolutely don't consider him a legit number #1 at this point in his career. He seems more like a Brent Seabrook type, which is a good #2. He's not the type of play-driving or point-producing #1 you generally want to build around. There's a fair argument for him going at 4 or 5 in this poll, but its not because he's a bonafide #1.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad