Prospect Info: 2014 Prospect Ranking Poll #4

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
The voting styles seem to be skewing this list quite a bit. Some are voting for the likliest to hit potential, some for most along in development, some for highest ceiling.

I can't tell if this is just personal prefences that will show itself statsitcally throughout the poll, or if people are mixing voting criteria from pick to pick which will skew it handily. Not that it matters too much, just interesting.

I've been voting highest ceiling thus far, but that might be a mistake. Likliehood of reaching it should probably factor in quite a bit I suppose.

Personally, I just gut out each one. Would I really put Karlsson above Vatanen? No, I wouldn't. For a number of reasons. But the reasons change when the comparisons change.

Teemu Salami

Empty Ketchup Bottle
May 9, 2013
Orange County, CA
Unless the crowd is getting rowdy...

People are really sleeping on Rakell. Personally I think he has the potential to take over the second line center duties by the time Kesler's deal is up.

I guess Staples Center isn't rowdy? And I don't think our team showed up defensively that much in Dallas, as far as getting beat by speed, a few bad changes, and not clearing the puck if their lives depended on it. I'll give you the goals he let in games 4 & 6 on the road were bad after looking at the highlighs quickly, but not game 3 other than a goal similar to Gibson gave up on Trevor Lewis. He'll have rookie mistakes like that, and that's why it's a prospect poll... And if we're not only basing it off the guys first playoffs he was great in the regular season. Never looked rattled either in places like St. Louis, New York, LA, San Jose.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
How is Andersen still a prospect? He'll be 25 when the season starts, played all year with Anaheim (i.e. not considered a rookie anymore), is on a one-way deal and is expected to play upwards of 40 games next season. I acknowledge my criteria for a player being considered a prospect is pretty arbitrary but I don't see how we can still consider this player a prospect.

Force951

Jul 17, 2009
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
How is Andersen still a prospect? He'll be 25 when the season starts, played all year with Anaheim (i.e. not considered a rookie anymore), is on a one-way deal and is expected to play upwards of 40 games next season. I acknowledge my criteria for a player being considered a prospect is pretty arbitrary but I don't see how we can still consider this player a prospect.

I believe we are going with HF prospect eligibility. But he still shouldn't be considered since this was his 24th birthday season.

if a goaltender has played in 45 NHL games before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday, that player will be considered graduated to the NHL. Conversely, if a player completes the season of his 24th birthday without passing those milestones, then that player will no longer be considered a prospect by Hockey’s Future, regardless of the player’s status with his NHL club.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I believe we are going with HF prospect eligibility. But he still shouldn't be considered since this was his 24th birthday season.

if a goaltender has played in 45 NHL games before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday, that player will be considered graduated to the NHL. Conversely, if a player completes the season of his 24th birthday without passing those milestones, then that player will no longer be considered a prospect by Hockey’s Future, regardless of the player’s status with his NHL club.

I have to explain this every poll, it seems. Read two paragraphs down from the section you quoted.

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
Unless the crowd is getting rowdy...

People are really sleeping on Rakell. Personally I think he has the potential to take over the second line center duties by the time Kesler's deal is up.
There are wide variety of 2nd line C's around the league, from barely adequate ones at #2C role to great ones like Kesler. Rakell looks to be more in line to be in that first group by the time Kesler's contract is up.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
hahahahha Like everyone else, I too missed on the fact that Andersen was on the list still! I would have voted for him at #3 and saved the whole Karlsson v Kerdiles argument here. ha ha ha ha So I voted for Andersen here. Next up, Kerdiles. LoL

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust

HF's criteria is pretty rigid and I think there should be some cases, particularly with goalies, where a judgment call needs to made. Andersen is not a prospect.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I voted for Andersen, but I don't view him as a prospect either.

After that I see ritchie/Rakell/Kerdiles all being on the same tier

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I voted for Andersen, but I don't view him as a prospect either.

After that I see ritchie/Rakell/Kerdiles all being on the same tier

Andersen should really take this and you can take my vote from Theo and give to Andersen - because i didn`t noticed him there, a lot of names.

Theo should be in your next tier too ;)

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Andersen should really take this and you can take my vote from Theo and give to Andersen - because i didn`t noticed him there, a lot of names.

Theo should be in your next tier too ;)

i disagree that Shea belongs on a tier with those 3 personally. i've seen him play a handful of times now and haven't come away overly impressed with him in any of the games I've seen. He's got nice vision, and good poise in the offensive zone, but I'm a little concerned about his inability to assert himself for more than a shift here and there. He's young, he's got great offensive tools, and he's got a big frame though, so there are a ton of reasons to be excited about his potential. Just for me personally, I'm not as confident about him as I am with Ricky/Ritchie/Kerdiles

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
i disagree that Shea belongs on a tier with those 3 personally. i've seen him play a handful of times now and haven't come away overly impressed with him in any of the games I've seen. He's got nice vision, and good poise in the offensive zone, but I'm a little concerned about his inability to assert himself for more than a shift here and there. He's young, he's got great offensive tools, and he's got a big frame though, so there are a ton of reasons to be excited about his potential. Just for me personally, I'm not as confident about him as I am with Ricky/Ritchie/Kerdiles

Yeah Theo is far away from his potential, but imo his ceiling is much higher than any of them others, the next closest being Ritchie, then Kerdiles and then Rakell.

But there is a chance he also doesn`t reach his potential so i understand the argument against him.

After the season what i got from our management was that they were very happy with how Shea has progressed. That`s a good sign

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad