GDT: 2014 Olympics in Sochi, Russia

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Who would you want?

I don't think the US got any favors when David Poile was injured and couldn't travel, but it's also not an excuse.

I'm going to get flamed from every direction for this, but how about Torts.

He has a short shelf life, but it's a short tourney.

He is an excellent motivator.

I think he would be perfect. Probably wouldn't play well politically though, with all the **** he's been in.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'm going to get flamed from every direction for this, but how about Torts.

He has a short shelf life, but it's a short tourney.

He is an excellent motivator.

I think he would be perfect. Probably wouldn't play well politically though, with all the **** he's been in.

The way Torts has been trending lately has not been good. We also can't win with the grinding, cycle hocket he plays you could see it the past two games.

Most NHL coaches play that system which isn't good enough vs Canada. We need someone who can utilize our speed and transition game better, may have to look outside the NHL.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
This is an interesting situation for Bylsma. I don't think he's ever really had a team crap out like this since breaking into the national level. He's always been sort of a golden boy, or at least an excuse existed with fans (Sid, Malkin injured, etc.)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Bronze medal games are always a lock for the underdog. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Bronze medal games are always a lock for the underdog. I wouldn't read too much into it.

I think it's unacceptable to play the way they did, when you are playing for your country and have a chance to win a medal you should always give your best.

If you lose cause the other team was better then that is alright if you gave your best but when Quick says after the game (he was disappointed for sure) that the other team wanted it more then something is wrong.

I would put much blame on the coaching staff, thats their task to ensure everyone is in it. Kane was also a disappointment.

With that said, great to see Salo and Selänne get a medal, they both deserved it :handclap:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think it's unacceptable to play the way they did, when you are playing for your country and have a chance to win a medal you should always give your best.

If you lose cause the other team was better then that is alright if you gave your best but when Quick says after the game (he was disappointed for sure) that the other team wanted it more then something is wrong.

I would put much blame on the coaching staff, thats their task to ensure everyone is in it. Kane was also a disappointment.

With that said, great to see Salo and Selänne get a medal, they both deserved it :handclap:

I don't disagree, although it's so common that I'm not sure you can blame the coaching. 24 hours before the game they were favored for gold, and then they found themselves playing for bronze. They should still make every attempt to bring their A-game, of course, but history shows that teams in that situation almost never do. Canada is notoriously gold-or-bust in tournaments at pretty much every level, from the Olympics to the World Juniors. People have probably made fortunes betting underdogs in bronze medal games.

Finland has never been favored for gold that I remember, but I'm pretty sure they've won more medals than any other team since NHL players have been going to the Olympics.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I try not to PISS off the fan base here I respect you all but kindly you are all full of something that are saying this is on coach or anyone else. IS LAUGHABLE.

I do not think GOLD MEDAL had any meaning. THE US CARED ON ONE THING BEATING CANADA they came within 1 goal and were shut out. IN THE HISTORY OF ALL SPORTS there has never been a turn around instantly after devastation like that where a group of athletes and coaches do not let that affect them. Alabama Boise State ring any bells to you people?

The turn around time was too short to get them mentally back on track. I dont care what coach whatever. They were down. They played down I expected it.

Also I picked Finland to be in finals and honestly with RASK believed they might beat Canada. He is that good. Their defense has honestly been superb they were a legit gold medalist underdog.

If you ask anyone secretly hey if you dont medal this olympics but if you beat Canada would you take that and I think you get a resounding YES.

The devastation of that loss and than coming right back and playing? Well that is sports there is a human side. Blysma did just fine the US did just fine.

We are overmatched that is a fact. Kessel and Kesler really were only people whom impressed me on US. JVR and Pavelski had assist but no scores or goals:( Just disappointing but really is in suter and others not supplying offense that killed us. The back end is the difference almost all the goalies showed up to play. Got to get some power play goals and have offense with defensive players.

Look at what Karlsson is bringing and Doughty? What does America have as part of that?

I truly believe Finlands D is a lot better than America's so till we get some studs not shut downs but scorers well this is what you get:)

The best US team didnt show today but you know what? I would still believe if we played them before playing Canada we still lose in a close game.

They took Canada to overtime they were not scrubs and have a very solid defense.

I think canada got what 9 goals from blue line? karlsson with four doughty with 5 that is the difference of this tournament really.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
I try not to PISS off the fan base here I respect you all but kindly you are all full of something that are saying this is on coach or anyone else. IS LAUGHABLE.

I do not think GOLD MEDAL had any meaning. THE US CARED ON ONE THING BEATING CANADA they came within 1 goal and were shut out. IN THE HISTORY OF ALL SPORTS there has never been a turn around instantly after devastation like that where a group of athletes and coaches do not let that affect them. Alabama Boise State ring any bells to you people?

The turn around time was too short to get them mentally back on track. I dont care what coach whatever. They were down. They played down I expected it.

Also I picked Finland to be in finals and honestly with RASK believed they might beat Canada. He is that good. Their defense has honestly been superb they were a legit gold medalist underdog.

If you ask anyone secretly hey if you dont medal this olympics but if you beat Canada would you take that and I think you get a resounding YES.

The devastation of that loss and than coming right back and playing? Well that is sports there is a human side. Blysma did just fine the US did just fine.

We are overmatched that is a fact. Kessel and Kesler really were only people whom impressed me on US. JVR and Pavelski had assist but no scores or goals:( Just disappointing but really is in suter and others not supplying offense that killed us. The back end is the difference almost all the goalies showed up to play. Got to get some power play goals and have offense with defensive players.

Look at what Karlsson is bringing and Doughty? What does America have as part of that?

I truly believe Finlands D is a lot better than America's so till we get some studs not shut downs but scorers well this is what you get:)

The best US team didnt show today but you know what? I would still believe if we played them before playing Canada we still lose in a close game.

They took Canada to overtime they were not scrubs and have a very solid defense.

I think canada got what 9 goals from blue line? karlsson with four doughty with 5 that is the difference of this tournament really.

Even Quick lashed out at the team for playing extremely poorly. They didn't play a good game and lost. Against Canada, they got outplayed, but they didn't even bother showing up against Finland.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
If the Finnish team had been healthy, they could have been a force. I'm impressed they got the bronze. Congrats to Salo.

Goes to show, sometimes all you need is a standout goalie and some old guys to win :sarcasm:

Tampa Bay Lightning, 2014!

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club

*********. Bylsma and his continued use or Orpik and Parise when both played like complete ass all tournament, the lack of use of Wheeler, not breaking up MCD and Suter... the list goes on and on. I dont know how the hell you think Finland on paper, going into that game, was better than the US. They were missing 3 of 4 top centers, and have Sami eating big minutes. That should be marching orders for Finland, minus Rask.

Bylsma, as a coach, had this team woefully unprepared and unmotivated, and the vast majority of this **** showing falls on his shoulders.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I have lost myself those big games you play the entire year for. Usually the next game your so unfocused and lost you GET THUMPED bad in sports.

That is all I am trying to relate. I dont like blysma at all. Yet to put any of this on him this one game as coach is crazy to me. We had one goal we lost that got beat and than fell apart. If some coach has a magic exilir to get people motivated right after that moment of crushing defeat he would be the best coach of all time.

I also tend to think Finland had a very solid dangerous team centered around a great defense that was overlooked who came within an overtime loss to canada of playing for the gold. I think with rask they beat sweden also. He is that good to me. Jokinens showed up Selanne showed up. They were not some also ran team and they had as good of a chance as anyone.

We have our own problems with rask when he is on. He is a friggin pain to get by. Like bishop he is like 75% of games under two goals that means he gives whatever team he is in front of a chance night in night out. I personally think he is best in game right now and would like to find a weakness:)

So no I am not surprised or upset with the americans I had us overmatched this entire tournament and lucky russia has no defense.

Defense and goaltending usually win these types of tournaments canada is getting defensive scoring. That is the difference is sad america cant figure that out a little more. Or get some guys to match up:) The scorers ?? How do they look the crosby's? Ovechkin? Malkin's? So missing some guys everyone was missing guys.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Peter Forsberg is unhappy about the ref selections for the Final:

"What a f___ing joke!" the seven-time All-Star said to Swedish reporters, calling the selection of officials Kelly Sutherland, Brad Meier, Greg Devorski and Derek Amell "comedy at its highest level."

Referees Sutherland and linesmen Devorski and Amell are Canadian, while referee Meier is an American who makes his home in Calgary.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=444453

Meanwhile Torts won't be watching the game but he's rooting for Sweden:
"I hope Sweden wins, cause I don't think Hammer (Dan Hamhuis) is going to play, judging by what's happened. I don't think Lui (Roberto Luongo) is going to play. So, I don't give a s--- about (Canada) right now because they're not playing. I just want them back here," Tortorella told the Province. (...)

"I hope Daniel (Sedin) scores two, (Alex) Edler gets three assists and Sweden wins. So they come back feeling good about themselves because it's going to help us. That's all I'm concerned about right now. The Vancouver Canucks," Tortorella said to the Province.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=444459

Looks like Marty will be the extra forward for Canada again. Will he get a shift?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Both Bylsma and Babcock have overthought their rosters, playing guys who at that moment weren't playing well, mayhaps keeping in the back of their minds the one goal Crosby scored in 2010 (which was important in the scheme of things, but still only one goal). Canada has been able to get away with it this time from their team's overall composition.

You sort of see this thinking with when Canada announced their roster. They hadn't done anything yet and they were publicly congratulating each other. Over what? Having thought a long time about things? If you get to Sochi and certain players you had built up in your minds don't work out as expected, and guys you weren't as hot about turn it on (even comparatively), then what?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad