League News: 2014 Off-season Around the League Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I've already addressed that in the context of icetime and the expectation that Backstrom and Kuznetzov and possibly Laich will improve.

I don't see it that way. Your specific comment was that Brouwer contributes nothing at es. 13 goals at even strength and good for 4th on the team isn't nothing.

Sure Backstrom and Kuznetsov may well score 13 goals or more at even strength this season but you appear to dismiss out of hand that quality play from either of those players on an even strength line with Brouwer would tend in increase his goal production.

In fact skating with Kuznetsov at center might be the only step necessary to elevate Brouwer's goal totals to 30+.

again....13 es goals is contributing something. something by definition is not nothing.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I don't see it that way. Your specific comment was that Brouwer contributes nothing at es. 13 goals at even strength and good for 4th on the team isn't nothing.

Sure Backstrom and Kuznetsov may well score 13 goals or more at even strength this season but you appear to dismiss out of hand that quality play from either of those players on an even strength line with Brouwer would tend in increase his goal production.

In fact skating with Kuznetsov at center might be the only step necessary to elevate Brouwer's goal totals to 30+.

again....13 es goals is contributing something. something by definition is not nothing.

IF the four holdovers who outscored him at ES continue their play and Laich/Backstrom/Kuznetzov get on track then Brouwer shouldn't be playing with any of them, so no, I wouldn't expect Brouwer to leech off of them.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
IF the four holdovers who outscored him at ES continue their play and Laich/Backstrom/Kuznetzov get on track then Brouwer shouldn't be playing with any of them, so no, I wouldn't expect Brouwer to leech off of them.

Yeah but in the same vein I could easily see Ward and Chimera not put up 16 and 15 ES goals respectively next season.

I'm not a huge Brouwer fan but he is far from a 4th liner IMO...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

that's all fine. that's what you think. its also nice that you think getting better passes and finishing them is leeching. I hadn't considered ov riding on backstrom's coattails. I just thought that a good finisher will score more when the passing increases and improves.

still....you have not addressed my main point. that at even strength brouwer contributes nothing. 13 goals and top 4 on the team is more than nothing

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
that's all fine. that's what you think. its also nice that you think getting better passes and finishing them is leeching. I hadn't considered ov riding on backstrom's coattails. I just thought that a good finisher will score more when the passing increases and improves.

still....you have not addressed my main point. that at even strength brouwer contributes nothing. 13 goals and top 4 on the team is more than nothing

Again. He was not top 4. He was 6th in goals/estoi. And thats without Laich and Kuznetzov and with Backstrom on what is hopefully a down year.

He was our 6th best goalscorer on a terrible team. He will provide less on a more effective offensive team.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Again. He was not top 4. He was 6th in goals/estoi. And thats without Laich and Kuznetzov and with Backstrom on what is hopefully a down year.

He was our 6th best goalscorer on a terrible team. He will provide less on a more effective offensive team.

you keep moving the bar. he was 4th in es goals. period. lol.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
you keep moving the bar. he was 4th in es goals. period. lol.

Because he got more ice time than he deserved. As I've maintained from the start.

He is ineffective in that time relative to four returning players.

This has been a long conversation to get to the point where you predict his goal total next season. And when we're done there it'll be even more fun to discuss his postseason play.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Because he got more ice time than he deserved. As I've maintained from the start.

I still say it will be very difficult for Ward and Chimera to repeat their ES goal scoring exploits from last season. The year before they had 6 and 0 ES goals respectively, compared to Brouwer's 11.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

This has been a long conversation to get to the point where you predict his goal total next season. And when we're done there it'll be even more fun to discuss his postseason play.

you said he contributes nothing. which is factually bull****. all the rest is your opinion, which you are entitled to of which I am not going to change. the guys scored 25 goals last season. he scored 13 es. its not nothing.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
you said he contributes nothing. which is factually bull****. all the rest is your opinion, which you are entitled to of which I am not going to change. the guys scored 25 goals last season. he scored 13 es. its not nothing.

It is not an opinion that he was only the sixth most effective goalscorer at even strength last year while tallying the 4th most ES time on the team.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I still say it will be very difficult for Ward and Chimera to repeat their ES goal scoring exploits from last season. The year before they had 6 and 0 ES goals respectively, compared to Brouwer's 11.

I expect the ESG leaders next year to go something like

Ovechkin
Backstrom
Kuznetsov
Fehr
2 of Ward, Laich and Chimera
Brouwer

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It is not an opinion that he was only the sixth most effective goalscorer at even strength last year while tallying the 4th most ES time on the team.

6th isn't nothing. spin it how you want. I see you stand by your statement. ok....something is nothing. I am done with this line of chat.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If that's your takeaway that's fine with me.

Will he score 30 or 35 next year?

you asked that question already. I answered it. already. I said that I would not be surprised. you said no chance. I said lets make a bet. are you missing this stuff or ignoring it?

I think more recently I said that the difference between 25 and 30 goals is maybe two big games. that if kuznetsov is his center and has a good season that I thought it very likely he scores 30+.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
At ES Brouwer played with Backstrom or Ribs and notched 12 ES goals in 48 games.

Last year it was a mess. Grabovski missed a third of the season.

We'll see how Kuznetsov does but Brouwer can definitely contribute. He's not addition by subtraction and we could not easily find a replacement for him as it would be a stretch the think Ward or Fehr could step right in and duplicate their ES production last year. Ward shot at an absurdly high % and Fehr has been anything but consistent in that category.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
The Blue Jackets are back, they signed Sonny Milano and now instead of playing at Boston College, he will in the OHL.

That team has some good young parts but I firmly believed they overachieved last year.

They remind me of the Ottawa team the year before last. They got very good goaltending, timely scoring, and played gritty "over their head" hockey. I think they will come down to earth this year and suffer a let down.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
I kinda feel sorry for Islanders fans, they got all excited to only find out Wang will be a majority own for the next 2 years still.

Which is kind of interesting..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad