League News: 2014 Off-season Around the League Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Greene was absolutely unrestricted. He did not have to sign an extension at this time. There was no restriction on who he could negotiate with for those UFA years, nor any penalty for teams to pay him more (like RFA compensation). He couldn't negotiate with other teams right now, but he also didn't need to sign a contract right now. Because he didn't use his leverage to the full extent doesn't mean that he didn't have the leverage. He could negotiate with as many teams as he wanted, even outside the NHL should he chose, in 10 months time.

Greene wasn't unrestricted. At the time he negotiated the extension, he could only negotiate with one team. That leverage from the years being UFA mostly didn't exist yet. It existed only if he waited the 10 months.

I'd think he was able to get more than an actual RFA, but certainly not what he could have gotten with multiple bidders (not to mention the increased salary cap if he'd waited).

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Guys, who cares?

Is the point of all this to decied whether we can pillory GMBM for the Orpik deal? I think everyone--including Greene, his agent and the Devils-- probably went into negotiations knowing the Orpik contract was not in play. Everyone in hockey knows it's an overpayment, at least on paper. Whether we get value when the puck drops is the only question.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Guys, who cares?

Is the point of all this to decied whether we can pillory GMBM for the Orpik deal? I think everyone--including Greene, his agent and the Devils-- probably went into negotiations knowing the Orpik contract was not in play. Everyone in hockey knows it's an overpayment, at least on paper. Whether we get value when the puck drops is the only question.

The point of all this is to pass the next two months.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Greene wasn't unrestricted. At the time he negotiated the extension, he could only negotiate with one team. That leverage from the years being UFA mostly didn't exist yet. It existed only if he waited the 10 months.

I'd think he was able to get more than an actual RFA, but certainly not what he could have gotten with multiple bidders (not to mention the increased salary cap if he'd waited).

We're just going around in circles at this point.

He couldn't negotiate with other teams in 2014, but he didn't need to sign a contract in 2014, either. Just because he opted not to make the most of his leverage doesn't mean that his position was notably weaker. New Jersey had very little leverage, basically summing down to them assuming additional risk if Greene should suffer a serious injury this season. Otherwise their negotiating position is the same now as it would be on June 30th of next year.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
if i was a player i'd want to make up for "lost" money. i don't think they're a good idea for players of subbans caliber.

It just seems like we keep hearing they want x amount of money, then 2 years later they are worth even more.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
We're just going around in circles at this point.

He couldn't negotiate with other teams in 2014, but he didn't need to sign a contract in 2014, either. Just because he opted not to make the most of his leverage doesn't mean that his position was notably weaker. New Jersey had very little leverage, basically summing down to them assuming additional risk if Greene should suffer a serious injury this season. Otherwise their negotiating position is the same now as it would be on June 30th of next year.

Seems clear to me that Greene wanted to stay in NJ. He gave up his shot at his real market value. Big difference in that and Orpik who probably had a handful if not more suitors with big $ offers. Contracts signed under two different circumstances one with real options/competition for the player services and one with imaginary options and what ifs.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
MORE Euro wingers!!

He'd easily be the 2nd best goalscorer on this team. He was going goal-for-goal with Ovechkin for a while last year.

Like I said, still wouldn't do the deal. Just that a 24 year old goal scorer on an ELC who was on a 40 goal pace in the NHL is nothing to scoff at.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
He'd easily be the 2nd best goalscorer on this team. He was going goal-for-goal with Ovechkin for a while last year.

Like I said, still wouldn't do the deal. Just that a 24 year old goal scorer on an ELC who was on a 40 goal pace in the NHL is nothing to scoff at.

It's hard to project Detroit players' performance in Caps I think.

And it's a deal with DRW getting the best player in Carlson. Ofc there is no sense for Caps to do it.

Was Mojo on PPG pace ever? Is he Olympics silver medalist? Can we trade him for Nyquist already?

PS: They should ask for Green instead :)

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Kinda hard to be on a 40-goal pace during the off-season. ;)

Think of it this way, Nyquist is a more proven Kuznetsov.

Or maybe we just can call Steen and Nyquist lucky.

Also Steen and Nyquist, when their wrist shots hit the glass, was really wimpy compared to the real proven snipers...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Unless his name is Brouwer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->