League News: 2014 Off-season Around the League Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
That level of earning is also ridiculously higher than a normal person's. If you're Pejorative Slured enough to blow enough of that $25M that it matters, you'd probably do the same with $30+ too.

Eh, that's like $12 million after taxes to pretty much cover the rest of your life and these guys live like idiots in 10k sf homes. They'll all blow it.

edit: your point stands that they'd still blow another $3 or 4 million too. But I'd still kick and scream for it if I were in their position.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I wasn't attempting to draw an apples-to-apples comparison here between Greene and Orpik. Merely laughing at the fact a legitimate #1 defenseman in his prime signed for less money than Orpik.

ok...its funny. haha. Carlson and Alzner make less and a lot less too. More laughs.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Carlson and Alzner are 1st pair d. Carlson makes less and Alzner makes a lot less than Orpik.

Greene is a #1 defenseman, not just 1st pair. Alzner is a lukewarm 1st pairing defenseman, at best. Both are on RFA contracts. Greene's is a UFA contract.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Greene is a #1 defenseman, not just 1st pair. Alzner is a lukewarm 1st pairing defenseman, at best. Both are on RFA contracts. Greene's is a UFA contract.

greene was a ufa? could the caps have signed him? During that pre July 1 period where interested teams could talk to ufa's and invite them to see their facilities and so forth. Could the Caps have invited Greene in as they did with Orpik?

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
greene was a ufa? could the caps have signed him? During that pre July 1 period where interested teams could talk to ufa's and invite them to see their facilities and so forth. Could the Caps have invited Greene in as they did with Orpik?
UFA contract = contract signed that buys up UFA years. That's what Greene just did. Sign a contract to secure his services for five years he was an unrestricted free agent.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
UFA contract = contract signed that buys up UFA years. That's what Greene just did. Sign a contract to secure his services for five years he was an unrestricted free agent.

No, not really.

UFA contract = contract signed when every team in the NHL is allowed to offer one.

There's a stark difference between the two.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
No, not really.

UFA contract = contract signed when every team in the NHL is allowed to offer one.

And there's an even bigger stark difference between what Greene did and the contracts that Carlson and Alzner signed. Beyond that, Carlson and Alzner have absolutely nothing to do with the fact that a 34 year-old [at season start] Orpik signed for more money than 31 year-old Greene. Trying to hide behind Carlson and Alzner to justify Orpik is asinine.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
And there's an even bigger stark difference between what Greene did and the contracts that Carlson and Alzner signed. Beyond that, Carlson and Alzner have absolutely nothing to do with the fact that a 34 year-old [at season start] Orpik signed for more money than 31 year-old Greene. Trying to hide behind Carlson and Alzner to justify Orpik is asinine.

I said nothing about Carlson and Alzner.

But Orpik and Greene are not comparable situations.

Liberati0n*

which he?

Both hes, Alzner and Carlson.

NBTW said:
No, not really.

There's a difference. But every team was allowed to offer one for these years. They couldn't right now, but those years were eligible to be bought by any team, and he knew that.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I said nothing about Carlson and Alzner.
Follow the conversation chain. My comment regarding a UFA contract was in response to a Carlson and Alzner comparison. Both of those were RFA deals.

But Orpik and Greene are not comparable situations.
More comparable than Alzner & Carlson are to Greene (player holds leverage vs. team holds leverage).

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Both hes, Alzner and Carlson.

There's a difference. But every team was allowed to offer one for these years. They couldn't right now, but those years were eligible to be bought by any team, and he knew that.

if you want to argue that greene was a ufa and that he and his agent were able to get tangible data on what other teams would offer him on the open market, you go right ahead.

no neither Carlson nor Alzner were UFAs. Neither was Greene. However, at least one of Carlson and Alzner did reach the end of his contract was able to negotiate with every team in the league under RFA rules.

I'll give you the last word.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Follow the conversation chain. My comment regarding a UFA contract was in response to a Carlson and Alzner comparison. Both of those were RFA deals.

More comparable than Alzner & Carlson are to Greene (player holds leverage vs. team holds leverage).

actually...my friend. your point was that it was funny that a #1 d signed a contract for less than Orpik did. I would think you would agree that both Carlson and Alzner are better than Orpik even as luke warm as Alzner might be for you. Doesn't that make you laugh too?

that was my point.

Again...Greene was not unrestricted. Orpik was unrestricted. He entertained offers from several teams and is well documented that both the Caps and the Aves were competing for his services. Greene was restricted. He could negotiate ONE team.

I will give you the last word as well. I am certain your position wont change and we don't need to keep going round and round this rosie.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
actually...my friend. your point was that it was funny that a #1 d signed a contract for less than Orpik did. I would think you would agree that both Carlson and Alzner are better than Orpik even as luke warm as Alzner might be for you. Doesn't that make you laugh too?

that was my point.
Drew Doughty was on an ELC once, too. Maybe we can shoehorn in other irrelevant contracts while we're at it.

And glad you can tell me what my point was. :laugh:

Again...Greene was not unrestricted. Orpik was unrestricted. He entertained offers from several teams and is well documented that both the Caps and the Aves were competing for his services. Greene was restricted. He could negotiate ONE team.

I will give you the last word as well. I am certain your position wont change and we don't need to keep going round and round this rosie.
Greene was absolutely unrestricted. He did not have to sign an extension at this time. There was no restriction on who he could negotiate with for those UFA years, nor any penalty for teams to pay him more (like RFA compensation). He couldn't negotiate with other teams right now, but he also didn't need to sign a contract right now. Because he didn't use his leverage to the full extent doesn't mean that he didn't have the leverage. He could negotiate with as many teams as he wanted, even outside the NHL should he chose, in 10 months time.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
So any time someone signs a deal that covers UFA years they are signing a UFA contract in your opinion? Really...?

Anytime someones signs a deal in which the first year is a UFA year. If it buys, say, three RFA years and one UFA year, no I would not consider that a UFA deal.

Liberati0n*

txpd said:
if you want to argue that greene was a ufa and that he and his agent were able to get tangible data on what other teams would offer him on the open market, you go right ahead.

no neither Carlson nor Alzner were UFAs. Neither was Greene. However, at least one of Carlson and Alzner did reach the end of his contract was able to negotiate with every team in the league under RFA rules.
You're going to compare RFA negotiations to UFAs...seriously? Offer sheets almost never happen and every GM knows that in approaching their own RFAs.

So any time someone signs a deal that covers UFA years they are signing a UFA contract in your opinion? Really...?

When it covers exclusively UFA years, it's essentially a UFA contract. I'm not saying it's exactly the same, but it's fairly close.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I didn't compare as equal a ufa and rfa negotiation. I did point out that a player without a contract ufa or rfa may contact other teams. greene could not contact other teams. he was restricted.

yes...he didn't have to sign the contract. he had that option. but he was RESTRICTED from talking to any other team.

one more point. nhl players are under contract thru june 30th. they become unrestricted free agents as of July 1. Greene would not have been an unrestricted free agent by definition til July 1 2015.

this we do know. he wasn't very bright for signing that contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad