2014 NHL Draft Prospects

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Other, potencially as good kids:

Haralds Egle destroyed Latvian U16 league together, as did Bukarts (playing with one year older guys there)
Valdis Augusts Vasilonoks- the same as about Egle
Roberts Locāns- the same as about Egle

I've seen Egle and Locans in a tournament in Finland. I must say that they are talented forwards, very skilled with the puck. If I remember correctly both played with their right hand down and Egle was the taller of the two.

In my humble opinion they should seek for opportunities to play abroad. They need to improve their game away from the puck and learn to play a faster paced game.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I've seen Egle and Locans in a tournament in Finland. I must say that they are talented forwards, very skilled with the puck. If I remember correctly both played with their right hand down and Egle was the taller of the two.

In my humble opinion they should seek for opportunities to play abroad. They need to improve their game away from the puck and learn to play a faster paced game.

Will probably get that experiance with Riga's MHL team, wouldn't he?

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
Will probably get that experiance with Riga's MHL team, wouldn't he?
The rumours say they'll head for Finland (Locāns, Vasiļonoks) and Egle to USA. Maybe might try to go Girgensons' path....

btw in U16 Red Bull (played vs Czech Rep, Russia, Slovakia and two times Canadian Selects)

Egle 4g 5+3=8
Vasiļonoks 4g 4+4=8
Locāns 4g 1+5=6

Not astonishing numbers but good and that's playing against good opposition, not like in Latvian leagues... At least they could see how muc they still need to work to achieve sth in hockey (and scored 2 points per game)

Last edited:

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
Haralds Egle was named the best forward in U16 Red Bull tournament. Knowing that all the Russian best were there, I'd say that's quite an accoplishment. Though he has to work hard to achieve something... 2014 at the moment seems great to us with Rihards Bukarts, Egle and maybe Locāns and Vasiļonoks.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Ray Pigozzi could be someone to potentially watch... He'll be at University of Denver this year.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I'm guessing he's not a 2014 draft eligible player if he'll be playing at Denver this year.

What a brain fart.

He's eligible for 2012. Wow.

Ummm... I guess I thought of him because he played with Willie Nylander here in Chicago.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Ekblad was given exceptional player status into the OHL Priority Selection and was taken number one overall. Without really knowing anything about him he's a guy I would definitely keep an eye on.

Hipfan

Nov 27, 2009
I say Virtanen goes 1st overall, this kid is better than RNH (at his age) and this kid can really skate, hit and shoot, also sees the ice very well. Plays like Cam Neely, but I think somewhat better.

Jake Virtanen had a pretty good first exhibition game: 1shg, 1a, +2

Pretty decent for a 15 year-old - he's already 5'11" 180+ lbs and had an amazing camp for the Calgary Hitmen. As per Alan Caldwell, a Calgary blogger: "This kid does NOT fall down....I have never seen a camp where a 15 year old didn't fall down repeatedly when hit by older players. Not Virtanen....bigger and stronger players were bouncing off of him like superballs off a wall. And his great acceleration had veteran defencemen scrambling to avoid getting beat wide. Give this kid a year or two and he is going to make a lot of defencemen look really silly in this league."

Chall

Aug 12, 2011
Sweden
Julius Bergman

Julius Bergman of the swedish Division 1 (the tier below Allsvenskan) team Karlskrona HK scored his first goal in his second game two days ago. He's 15 years old and he's playing regularly on Karlskrona's senoir squad, which, incidentally, is one of Swedens best Division 1 teams and is expected to move up a division this season. So he's pretty good. And huge.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Over here in Slovakia F Patrik Koyš so far has 3G+6A for 9PTS and +10 in 8 games in Slovak U20 league.

Also, F Juraj Šiška (17/05/1996), the youngest player in the Slovak U20 league has 2G 5A for 7PTS in 9 games.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
Julius Bergman of the swedish Division 1 (the tier below Allsvenskan) team Karlskrona HK scored his first goal in his second game two days ago. He's 15 years old and he's playing regularly on Karlskrona's senoir squad, which, incidentally, is one of Swedens best Division 1 teams and is expected to move up a division this season. So he's pretty good. And huge.

My hometown team. The biggest talent we´ve ever had. And as you mention, that can be taken literally if you want. Already at 184 cm (6.04) and weighing in at 85 kg (187 ibs). Right shooting kid that has excellent offensive instincts and doesn´t look out of place among men.

To put it into context: He´s the only -95 born playing Division 1-hockey this far (one -96 born, Arlanda forward Daniel Muzito-Bagenda) and there´s not many -94 born. And that´s on a top three team in what´s considered the best Division 1 (F). In Division F only seven juniors (ten teams…) have been given playingtime, all besides Bergman -92 or -93 born. Also quite unusual for a young defender to earn that kind of trust in Swedish hockey (although Karlskrona-coach Tomas Kempe did give playingtime to both Anton Strålman and Oliver Ekman-Larsson at young age, however not this young...).

Signed through next season, despite big hockey school throwing offers.

After having a real crappy juniorhockeyprogram for decades it´s starting to come together for small Karlskrona. The Westerholm-twins, Simon Karlsson, Bobbo Petersson could all be on their way to becoming Elitserien-players...

Karlskrona has a live feed of most of their games (all of their homegames…), so if you want to see him play a game you can watch him through khk.se . However it costs 99 kronors/game (about 15 dollars…) so might wanna pick your game :) And be prepared to be frustrated by a high number of plays…

texashockeytalent

Oct 28, 2009
The best from the Texas region are

F. Braden Brown-Belle Tire 16u
D. Connor Smith-Omaha 16u
D. John Zimmerman- Culver 16u

These guys are all 96's from Dallas and are very skilled

Last edited:

texashockeytalent

Oct 28, 2009
Connor Smith from Dallas is 6'2" 220 pounds plays for Omaha 16u AAA

very poised with puck
moves his feet well
has a great shot
very good coverage
very physical

He is a very solid player who can go a long way

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Do I count? :sarcasm:

It seems like the next few drafts have a lot of guys with ties to the NHL already. Dad played, brothers played, etc. Is this kind of turning into a more common thing, or just an outlier for the next few years?

GermanLeaf

Jun 9, 2011
However one guy clearly seems to stand out:

Forward - Leon Draisaitl

It's still some time to go, but he could be in the same league as Kühnhackl or Rieder, maybe even better.
Have you ever seen him play?

Numbers look outstanding:
GP G A TP
29 97 95 192

Playoffs:
GP G A TP
5 16 15 31

Unglaublich!

Edit:This is my draft year, too!:laugh:

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Have you ever seen him play?

Numbers look outstanding:
GP G A TP
29 97 95 192

Playoffs:
GP G A TP
5 16 15 31

Unglaublich!

Edit:This is my draft year, too!:laugh:

No unfortunately I haven't had the chance to see him play myself. I have heard some things about him from people who said they've seen him play, but I cannot even be sure of that. The only thing I've seen from him is a youtube video from the 08/09 season where he misses in a shootout. I think he was 13 years old then.

I am not sure what I find more ridiculous his numbers from last year or the fact that he was only 2nd in scoring that year behind teammate Dominik Kahun.

The fact that him and Kahun are now also putting up pretty good numbers in the DNL make me really hopeful for these guys.

29hockey96

Nov 14, 2011
i noticed the florida jr panther goalie 16u (matthew greenfield) goalie was drafted by the kitchener rangers this year. i also noticed how florida has a very good tier 2 league as a matter of fact...
is there any other prospects that anyone knows of in the tier 2 florida leagues???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->