Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
We're all living in America,
America is wunderbar.
We're all living in America,
Amerika, Amerika.

P.S. Proof link maybe?

considering he does play practically in my back yard, and I did ask him what country he will play for, and his own words said USA, I will take that until I see otherwise.

I asked Galchenyuk the same thing 2 years back, and he said the US, I didnt really believe it, but he is holding true to that as well.

I get to see many of the Chicago Mission, CYA, and Team Illinois games as many are held within 30 minutes of my house....so talking to these kids isnt that hard.,

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Im with you with Clarke, but I still dont see it with Schmaltz.

He is a good player, but im not sure that he is on the same level of a Joshua Ho Sang or a Michael Del Colle.

Schmaltz is going to be a tough player to judge. Still very young, but clearly undersized, he needs to bulk up bigtime over the next two years. But again, I get to see the CYA, Mission, and Team Illinois very often, and Schmaltz was simply electrifying at times. He is in a Shane McColgan level imo....undersized by insanely gifted. If he can gain some pounds next year, I truly think this kid is a high end first round pick for the OHL as he seems more willing to go to the OHL at this time.

As for Clarke, again still very early on, but the kid is amazingly talented. I love the entire package he brings to the table as he already has solid size. He just seems to see the game at a different level then the rest. I believe he is playing in the USHL this upcoming season, and if he has a similar season to what Ebert and DeAngelo did, then he could very well go #1 overall for the OHL.

Again I am pretty biased to kids that come out of any of the tier-1 Illinois programs, but these two kids are honestly on a talent level, very comparable to Galchenyuk who did go #1 2 years back. Much can happen by next year, and both kids could fall off the face of the Earth, but I am very excited for the level of talent that is coming through the Chicagoland area. Also include Nylander who is a very talented kid as well. I think you said you werent high on Nylander, kind of curious what you saw of him that maybe you didnt like?

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
I think you said you werent high on Nylander, kind of curious what you saw of him that maybe you didnt like?

I did say that.

To be honest I have not seen him play to much, so its hard to get a real read on him, but the times I did I didnt see him ahead of other comparable players like Dal Colle, Ho Sang and Hiddink. I see him in that second level with Hargrave and others.

Ill get a better read on him this year.

Conversely, its interesting to note that as of now he isnt listed on the Chicago Mission U16 roster for 2011-2012. Clarke is not either. Any word on where they will end up?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
considering he does play practically in my back yard, and I did ask him what country he will play for, and his own words said USA, I will take that until I see otherwise.

I asked Galchenyuk the same thing 2 years back, and he said the US, I didnt really believe it, but he is holding true to that as well.

I get to see many of the Chicago Mission, CYA, and Team Illinois games as many are held within 30 minutes of my house....so talking to these kids isnt that hard.,

I guess I'll have to wait for something more concrete than that. It'd be nice if you're right but you also said this about Galchenyuk too, which doesn't jive with your claim above:

not sure how many times you have talked to this kid Sharkie, but I have seen him play for the Chicago Young Americans a bunch, and have even spoken to him and his family. This kid is not American, nor does he consider himself to be. He has spent the majority of his life living and playing in Russia, and his grasp of the English language is not that great to put it nicely. If he comes to this program I will be shocked. It would be great to have him, but I am not holding my breath for him to come.

Awesome talent, but this could be a USA Hockey publicity stunt imo....

You ended up changing your tune after his American citizenship did indeed come out but I hope you'll understand my apprehension about your Nylander claims. I'll bite though: How does he have US citizenship?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I did say that.

To be honest I have not seen him play to much, so its hard to get a real read on him, but the times I did I didnt see him ahead of other comparable players like Dal Colle, Ho Sang and Hiddink. I see him in that second level with Hargrave and others.

Ill get a better read on him this year.

Conversely, its interesting to note that as of now he isnt listed on the Chicago Mission U16 roster for 2011-2012. Clarke is not either. Any word on where they will end up?

Clarke will be with Fargo in the USHL. No idea on Nylander.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I guess I'll have to wait for something more concrete than that. It'd be nice if you're right but you also said this about Galchenyuk too, which doesn't jive with your claim above:

You ended up changing your tune after his American citizenship did indeed come out but I hope you'll understand my apprehension about your Nylander claims. I'll bite though: How does he have US citizenship?

I already discussed this many times before, this was in response to another poster (sharkie I believe) that stated he was 100% American and didnt see what the fuss was about...I didnt think it was that cut and dry.

Also, that post was from when I talked to him before the season started and anyone knew who he was, I did talk to him after that well before anything of his citizenship was announced, and he said he would like to play for the US, and I stated that on here.

The post you quoted was a post in which I got my feelings from talking with his family and not so much him, but I hastily posted as such. I really didnt like the way the family talked about him playing for the US, but in all honesty he really never said anything bad about it or not wanting to, but I made it out to be more him instead of the family which was my bad.

I still havent changed my tune one bit. If he wants to represent the US, then God bless. He has that right to, at the time before anyone knew who he was I wasnt so sure what his intentions were, and that is where that post comes from. I have always had reservations about where Galchenyuk will play, that hasnt changed. He is born in the US and has the right to play for the US and that is all that matters to me. From the many times I have talked to him since that original conversation, he seems just like any other happy American kid, but with an accent.

As for Nylander, it really doesnt matter either. He might make a claim that he will play for the US , but might end up playing for Sweden. I really dont know, and I honestly really dont care that much. He is a very nice kid, very polite as well. But if he has the right to play for the US, then welcome aboard as well. Never asked him about his citizenship, just about if he would play for the US. He has spent a lot of time in the US, much more then Galchenyuk.

His younger brother Alex is an exciting player as well, keep an eye out for him.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Thats a wise choice for him. From what ive seen he probably is be best American forward in the OHL drawing states.

Clarke going to the USHL makes sense at this point. The kid is ready and mature enough to be there.

Nylander staying in Chicago makes sense as well. I dont think he is USHL ready, but it seems he stays another year here. Plus his younger brother Alex is on the 98' team, so the family is here.

thescoutingnews

Jul 15, 2011
ushl combine

will any of you be at the USHL combine most of the top U.S. prospects with be attending....

Last edited:

FSH2003

Jun 12, 2004
Like Galchenyuk from two years ago, keep an eye on either Blake Clarke or Nick Schmaltz to go #1 overall in next years OHL draft. Still a long ways away, but damn is Schmaltz exciting, and Clarke looks like the total package as well.
Schmaltz just committed to UND

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Schmaltz just committed to UND

means nothing.

see Adam Erne and Anthony De Angelo for why.

I know the Schmaltz family, great people and firm believers in college. That is why Jordan hasnt bolted to the OHL as of yet, mom would go ape ****.

But as I said with Nick, from the years I have talked with him, his eyes light up more talking about the OHl then NCAA. Not saying he will go to the OHl, but if he does get drafted high enough, I think he goes to the OHL. Just my opinion, we shall see.

FSH2003

Jun 12, 2004
means nothing.

see Adam Erne and Anthony De Angelo for why.

I know the Schmaltz family, great people and firm believers in college. That is why Jordan hasnt bolted to the OHL as of yet, mom would go ape ****.

But as I said with Nick, from the years I have talked with him, his eyes light up more talking about the OHl then NCAA. Not saying he will go to the OHl, but if he does get drafted high enough, I think he goes to the OHL. Just my opinion, we shall see.

Very true. Here's hoping his dad / uncles being UND alum, plus his brothers reaffirmed commitment to next year will be enough. As you said it truly means nothing, look at JT "I can't wait for college" Miller

gotmonte

Feb 2, 2010
New York
Is Domi's kid 2013 or 2014... I just see a 1995 for the year but I dunno if he's late or early 1995.

For 2014 for sure... Look at Ekblad, DeAngelo, and Koys to be big guys in that draft.

Thats IT! The Rangers are picking Domi's kid. Period. No point in even discussing it. I have the jersey already (all authentic) and I have the NY Rangers License plate that says DOMI on it.

I am ready for 2014 and the draft pick.

But the world is going to end in 2012. What do we do? Up the draft of 2014 to now, :sarcasm:

KingJet*

I say Virtanen goes 1st overall, this kid is better than RNH (at his age) and this kid can really skate, hit and shoot, also sees the ice very well. Plays like Cam Neely, but I think somewhat better.

Oh and Jordan Thomson plays for the Provincial AAA Cougars and was youngest on the team leading them to the Finals verse the Telus Cup winning Thrashers, went 4th overall to Kamloops.

1. Jake Virtanen
2. Aaron Ekblad
3. Patrik Koys
4. Nick Richie
5. Jordan Thomson

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I just saw at the Elite Prospects website that William Nylander will be moving to play in Sweden this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing on Swedish U16 teams this season, assuming he's good enough for them.

Indian

Jan 14, 2010
Košice
Patrik Koyš was 3+1 in 4 games at the Ann Arbor U17 tourney.

Slovakian Patrik Koys has drawn some attention as a bit of a hockey wunderkind. He's got some big time hands and scoring ability, but is pretty small and not a particularly quick skater. He was great at protecting the puck against the wall, but that could be more difficult against more mature competition that can pin him against the wall easier. He was a nice looking player, but if I had my choice of smaller forwards at the this tournament, I would have taken Guertler over him.

Link: http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com/2011/8/16/2362494/us-u17-select-player-evaluations

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
I say Virtanen goes 1st overall, this kid is better than RNH (at his age) and this kid can really skate, hit and shoot, also sees the ice very well. Plays like Cam Neely, but I think somewhat better.

Oh and Jordan Thomson plays for the Provincial AAA Cougars and was youngest on the team leading them to the Finals verse the Telus Cup winning Thrashers, went 4th overall to Kamloops.

1. Jake Virtanen
2. Aaron Ekblad
3. Patrik Koys
4. Nick Richie
5. Jordan Thomson

How Jake Virtanen is related to Fins? he has finnish last name.

There is very skilled latvian for the 2014 draft. Played last year against adult's putting up +2PPG, in weaker competition tho. I think he has potential to be first round pick maybe even top 10.

http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=52418

Last edited:

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
Patrik Koyš was 3+1 in 4 games at the Ann Arbor U17 tourney.

Slovakian Patrik Koys has drawn some attention as a bit of a hockey wunderkind. He's got some big time hands and scoring ability, but is pretty small and not a particularly quick skater. He was great at protecting the puck against the wall, but that could be more difficult against more mature competition that can pin him against the wall easier. He was a nice looking player, but if I had my choice of smaller forwards at the this tournament, I would have taken Guertler over him.

Nice to hear something new about Koyš. There hasn't been much written/said about him in a while.

I will say, however, that the blogger's comments about Koyš' lack of size seems a bit strange when he also says that although Erne is big, others might catch up to him later. Seems to me that Koyš could be one of the ones to grow and catch up to the bigger players like Erne.

Adam Erne was the strongest looking forward at the tournament. The only real question I have about him right now is that he was clearly one of the strongest, most physically developed players in the tournament, but only stands at 6'0" 195 lbs. His skating is pretty good considering he's above average sized for this level. But if he stays in the 6'0" to 6'1" range, he'll be a pretty average sized player. Something similar happened with Kevin Clare a few years ago, when he went from the best in his age group heading into his U17 year, to being a non-factor by the end of his U18 year because everyone else caught up to him physically.

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
From Latvia:
Rihards Bukarts (1995) a very, very late 1995, so elligible.
This year will probably play in Russian major juniors- MHL
As with Koys, his weakness is his size at the moment...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBkiRKfTxnU
A great goal #22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJcW3KykR70&feature=related
a sweet pass #22

Both videos from European U17 Youth Olympics or sth like that where he was in tied 2nd spot with 4 points in 3 games (vs Russia, vs Slovakia, vs SWitzerland). Top scorer there was Mikhail Grigorenko...

Other, potencially as good kids:

Haralds Egle destroyed Latvian U16 league together, as did Bukarts (playing with one year older guys there)
Valdis Augusts Vasilonoks- the same as about Egle
Roberts Locāns- the same as about Egle

These three play at U16 Red Bullin Austria and are leaders of team Latvia, their stats should be pretty good after the tournament, I'll post them here (they were playing Slovakia, Canada Selects 96, Russia and today second game vs Canada Selects 96)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad