Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft / Pick #118 - Igor Shestyorkin (G) - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Dorofeyev at 10 seems high to me. If we can snag another first round pick that ends up in the low-20s, I think he could still be there.

Either way, I'm not particularly interested in taking a player committed to the KHL for any length of time unless he's far and away the best player available. I don't care his nationality; I'm anti-KHL, not anti-Russian, to be clear. :laugh:
I'm definitely not a fan of the KHL and having prospects there, that being said drafting from the KHL is arguably the best way to get elite talent outside of the top-5. So, I'm expecting us to continue targeting prospects out of Russia.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Dorofeyev at 10 seems high to me. If we can snag another first round pick that ends up in the low-20s, I think he could still be there.

Either way, I'm not particularly interested in taking a player committed to the KHL for any length of time unless he's far and away the best player available. I don't care his nationality; I'm anti-KHL, not anti-Russian, to be clear. :laugh:

Replace Dorofeyev with Kravtsov and it could have been a post from February 2018

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The removal of the two-line pass rule did him no favours either.

True. Both happened after he was drafted though. The Jessiman pick reminds me a lot of the Kravtsov pick where fans were complaining just because they didn't know him. And in Jessiman's case, it didn't work out due to circumstances beyond our control

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Replace Dorofeyev with Kravtsov and it could have been a post from February 2018
Sure, or it could have been 2017 and said about Andersson, which would probably be a less compelling case (I like Lias as you know, just saying). You could also say it about any number of other players that this team and other teams have picked 5 or more spots above their projection. I don't need to go into our guys. Sometimes you look smart, other times you look like an idiot.

I just can't envision the board playing out in a way that I would think Dorofeyev is the BPA. I think we'll be 6-10 and I think that's way too high. I mean I've seen clips of him and he looks great, but he's a ways away. Also, while Kravtsov may have been a slight "reach" to many, McKenzie/the scouts had him 12 and CSS the #3 European. The actual scouts seemed to think he was right in the ballpark. McKenzie currently has Dorofeyev 65, and CSS has him 18 among European skaters. So unless he shoots up in the final rankings, he would present much more of a "reach" according to the professionals that Kravtsov. Doesn't mean those guys are right and you're wrong, but I don't think many consider the two guys to be in nearly the same tier at the moment.

Anyway, not trying to turn this into a draft thread. So, my bad.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Talk about 2020 vision. We picked Shesty in 2014! Thats 5 years ago with plans of him arriving in 2020? Thats crazy. I still don't believe it will happen, just the way it was planned (if it was planned.......dumb luck?)
Seems like Georgiev may be a keeper. We have Hank through 2021 season. Doesn't that mean we have 1 too many?
Which 1 plays in Hartford?
Am I getting the time frame wrong?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Talk about 2020 vision. We picked Shesty in 2014! Thats 5 years ago with plans of him arriving in 2020? Thats crazy. I still don't believe it will happen, just the way it was planned (if it was planned.......dumb luck?)
Seems like Georgiev may be a keeper. We have Hank through 2021 season. Doesn't that mean we have 1 too many?
If Shest outperforms Geo at camp than Geo gets sent down to Hartford, if hes not waiver exempt then we trade him (probably wont get much but we arent going to send Shest down if he earns his spot on the team)

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
I wouldn't worry about this too much, if Shesty is signed then let him and Georgiev battle it out for #2. Injuries also happen and it won't hurt to have a good goalie in Hartford either. Mostly a good problem to have. Georgiev won't have much value to just trade away, still too green. We also have an expansion draft to think about, if we have two good young goalies it might save us from losing a decent forward or d.

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
Oops... so my "tank tank tank tank etc" post from a few days ago.. I thought I posted it in the game thread after one of the defense lapses led to a goal. I still want a tank though haha

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
MN2okUp.png

MODS need to alter the title... Shesterkin.... Sounds like a Street Fighter move...
iu

Reactions: Crease and nyr2k2

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
True. Both happened after he was drafted though. The Jessiman pick reminds me a lot of the Kravtsov pick where fans were complaining just because they didn't know him. And in Jessiman's case, it didn't work out due to circumstances beyond our control

There was one major difference though. That 2003 draft was and is historically talent laden, and everyone knew it while it was happening. The Rangers drafted a boom or bust pick while they could have thrown a dart and taken any of a number of "boom or just really good" players. Jessiman's upside was intoxicating but so was Parise's (my pick), Getzlaf's, Richards', etc.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
There was one major difference though. That 2003 draft was and is historically talent laden, and everyone knew it while it was happening. The Rangers drafted a boom or bust pick while they could have thrown a dart and taken any of a number of "boom or just really good" players. Jessiman's upside was intoxicating but so was Parise's (my pick), Getzlaf's, Richards', etc.

My point is: It was not a bad pick. It just didn't work out for us.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
My point is: It was not a bad pick. It just didn't work out for us.
It wasn't totally off the board, but it was pretty universally condemned around these parts, at least. I mean, most people here HATED it because of the inherent risk of the player. It was like McIlrath, in that respect, in that he was picked in the general vicinity of where he was supposed to go but most posters here recognized it as the absolute wrong pick.

Again, I totally understand your perspective on it. It's just a tough sell to people to tell them a pick that they decried as bad, and ended up horrible, was not in fact bad.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It wasn't totally off the board, but it was pretty universally condemned around these parts, at least. I mean, most people here HATED it because of the inherent risk of the player. It was like McIlrath, in that respect, in that he was picked in the general vicinity of where he was supposed to go but most posters here recognized it as the absolute wrong pick.

Again, I totally understand your perspective on it. It's just a tough sell to people to tell them a pick that they decried as bad, and ended up horrible, was not in fact bad.

I just think it's very easy to, in hindsight, judge draft picks which just isn't fair.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I just think it's very easy to, in hindsight, judge draft picks which just isn't fair.

I agree with this point in general. Jessiman just isn’t a good example of judgment in hindsight, though. Yes, his ankle injury likely destroyed his potential and that’s often forgotten when discussing him. But he was on a razor thin margin of error to begin with and everybody knew it, while other players on the board weren’t in that situation.

To @Larrybiv. You draft most goalies expecting that it will take 4 or 5 years before they start to show any glimmers of NHL readiness, if they ever do. Lundqvist himself made his debut 5 years after he was drafted. So this isn’t outside the realm of normal planning.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
The removal of the two-line pass rule did him no favours either.

The NHL essentially changed right after we drafted him.

It was a league that just saw a decade dominated by the likes of Eric Lindros, Scott Stevens, and the like. Skilled *and* big was seen as an ideal combo at the time.

Clutch and Grab, the 2-line pass rule, having a 'checking line' and "every team has 1-2 enforcers" were all still very much a thing, and were all gone within 2 years after the 2003 draft.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Understood. My point is that a lot of us said that it was a bad pick at the time it was made. So it's not hindsight for those that thought it sucked then.

Anyway, IGOR SHESTERKIN.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Oh man. I feel myself turning into Inferno
Can I ask, though, why it really matters? Like I get why turning Fasth into Fast was stupid, it's already written in the Latin alphabet so dropping the H was just lazy. But going from Cyrillic script to Latin, it gets transliterated all kinds of ways. Just seems like much ado about nothing, personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad