2014 NHL Draft: Arizona Coyotes draft review

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

The freshly rebranded Arizona Coyotes loaded up on forwards at the 2014 NHL Draft. Although General Manager Don Maloney claimed the organization would merely be targeting the best players available, only two of their nine draft picks were defensemen.

The Coyotes organization already boasts a glut of talented veteran and emerging defensemen. Yet, management arrived in Philadelphia lacking scoring punch up front, an issue which was to be exacerbated with the loss of Radim Vrbata to free agency and the buyout of Mike Ribeiro.

Maloney was aware of these looming subtractions at the draft, saying “We’re trying to leave some positions open to younger players.… read more

More...

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
When I see these posted I almost always ignore them, they seem to be written for the sake of having content but not necessarily by anyone who knows what they're talking about. Perhaps I'm not being fair here?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
When I see these posted I almost always ignore them, they seem to be written for the sake of having content but not necessarily by anyone who knows what they're talking about. Perhaps I'm not being fair here?

it essentially means you picked a lot of players from that publications list. It's the equivalent of winning a popularity contest.

I used to be a editor/writer early on in the days of HF. I feel that i know much more now than I did then. Of course it helps that I am a huge draft geek and routinely include viewings of Coyote prospects in my travel and vacation plans. I no longer write but do respect those who put their thoughts out there.

In regards to rating drafts. I focus on the first round. i don't have time to go much further into the later rounds. I reserve my criticism for our early pick(s) and highlight asset management. For example: I didn't love our 1st round pick this year. I'm in the minority. I had him closer to 20 than I did 10 which doesn't mean he was a total write off in my view. I'm just not sold yet on his upside and I want to desperately to be wrong in my initial analysis of him.

Personally, I like the recaps/grading of the drafts. It's a good chance to learn about the guys that I'm not that familiar with. What I look for at this point is do the experts like the upside of our picks. Do we have potential Top 6 help or some guys who can help to build a winning culture at the AHL level (which we need to do)? Did we roll the dice on Top 6 players or did we try to fill out a future checking line. This year this looks like we are going for Top 6 and Top 9 guys. Question is can more than 1-2 guys make it to the show.

Last edited:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
it essentially means you picked a lot of players from that publications list. It's the equivalent of winning a popularity contest.

I used to be a editor/writer early on in the days of HF. I feel that i know much more now than I did then. Of course it helps that I am a huge draft geek and routinely include viewings of Coyote prospects in my travel and vacation plans. I no longer write but do respect those who put their thoughts out there.

In regards to rating drafts. I focus on the first round. i don't have time to go much further into the later rounds. I reserve my criticism for our early pick(s) and highlight asset management. For example: I didn't love our 1st round pick this year. I'm in the minority. I had him closer to 20 than I did 10 which doesn't mean he was a total write off in my view. I'm just not sold yet on his upside and I want to desperately to be wrong in my initial analysis of him.

Personally, I like the recaps/grading of the drafts. It's a good chance to learn about the guys that I'm not that familiar with. What I look for at this point is do the experts like the upside of our picks. Do we have potential Top 6 help or some guys who can help to build a winning culture at the AHL level (which we need to do)? Did we roll the dice on Top 6 players or did we try to fill out a future checking line. This year this looks like we are going for Top 6 and Top 9 guys. Question is can more than 1-2 guys make it to the show.
Sorry I shouldn't have been so vague, I specifically meant these HF Staff articles. I mean what separates them from say me just writing up an article on the Coyotes draft?!

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Sorry I shouldn't have been so vague, I specifically meant these HF Staff articles. I mean what separates them from say me just writing up an article on the Coyotes draft?!

oh absolutely nothing. I get that. How do you trust the opinion's of the writer. It comes down to that.

HF wants to be a go to site for prospect information. These articles are a step forward but they still have a ways to go before we can trust them for analysis.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad