2014 Memorial Cup: Oil Kings' Lazar hoping whirlwind season ends with CHL championshi

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

It’s been a busy year for Edmonton Oil Kings’ forward Curtis Lazar — drafted 17th overall by the Ottawa Senators in the 2013 NHL Draft, a key player on Canada’s U20 World Junior Championship entry, and now a second go-round in the Memorial Cup. And it’s safe to say the Senators are pleased with his progress — at least, that’s what he thinks their actions mean.

“I think they’ve been following me pretty well. They haven’t been in contact with me too much, but I’ll e-mail their assistant GM every week, checking up, and talking about what I want to improve upon as a player,†he said.… read more

More...

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
Curtis Lazar said:
“I think they’ve been following me pretty well. They haven’t been in contact with me too much, but I’ll e-mail their assistant GM every week, checking up, and talking about what I want to improve upon as a player,†he said. “I haven’t heard back too much, but no feedback is good feedback, right?â€

Tim Murray said:
Listen kid, I told you weeks ago that I'm GM for the Sabres now. Please stop e-mailing me.

But seriously though, the Lazar is going out of his way to e-mail the organization every week talking about where he'd like to improve and further self-evaluation? This kid's maturity level is through the roof. I love it.

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
He will get the NHL dozen games to start the season with the Sens. I hope he plays his way onto the team.

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Isn't it 10 games and you're unable to be sent back to junior? He'll see 9 games.

It's not that you're unable to be sent back but 10 games is when an entry level contract kicks in to burn off a year. So teams use the 9 game mark to decide whether or not a player stays and burns off a year of his contract or goes and saves a year of his entry level in junior.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
It's not that you're unable to be sent back but 10 games is when an entry level contract kicks in to burn off a year. So teams use the 9 game mark to decide whether or not a player stays and burns off a year of his contract or goes and saves a year of his entry level in junior.

Yup. You're right. Not where my mind is at.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Wishing him all the best today vs. Guelph. Really glad to have this guy as a prospect for our team.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Congratulations to Lazar. I caught the last two periods and it was fairly even with the Oil Kings getting a few fortunate goals.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I'm happy Lazar had a fantastic season, and his team won the Memorial Cup. It will be interesting to see how the start of next season plays out, and if he can stick with the big club for more than 10 games.

King EK65

#KuldaApproved
Jun 26, 2013
Canada
Awesome! I was rooting for them all along, mostly because Lazar and the Latvian Kulda, but the play for Pelss thing made me cheer for them even more. Very touching. Great job! :handclap:

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Isn't it 10 games and you're unable to be sent back to junior? He'll see 9 games.

That's only an issue if you are a cap team. We aren't, so having kids like Ceci and Lazar coming off their ELCs really isn't as big an issue for us as it is for, say, the Flyers or Bruins. In fact, having young players like that on your team, hopefully outperforming their rookie contracts, is more more beneficial than having to pay an inflated price on the open market for a player to fill that same role.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
That's only an issue if you are a cap team. We aren't, so having kids like Ceci and Lazar coming off their ELCs really isn't as big an issue for us as it is for, say, the Flyers or Bruins. In fact, having young players like that on your team, hopefully outperforming their rookie contracts, is more more beneficial than having to pay an inflated price on the open market for a player to fill that same role.

I don't agree with this.

We need to maximize the value we get out of ELCs. If he makes the team next year in a very minor role then we're potentially losing a year where he could be more developed and play a bigger role, providing us with more value. This is something a budget team needs to pay careful attention to.

We don't need to pay inflated price to bring in small role players, we can look internally or find UFAs willing to play for league minimum.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We don't need to pay inflated price to bring in small role players, we can look internally or find UFAs willing to play for league minimum.

Here's my question - where are those UFAs willing to play for league minimum? They seem to be like unicorns in that every year fans and media talk about them, but no one can find one. When they do sign, they inevitably seem to get fairly big money, or at least more than a rookie first round pick would earn.

The forward market this year amongst UFAs, for instance, is so badly depleted that Mike Cammallari is going to cash in big yet again. If you're in the market for a goalie there are some options, but other than that the UFA market is seriously ugly.

To put it another way, we will pay Colin Greening more than double what Curtis Lazar would make if he was on our team full time next year. If Lazar gets 30-40 points for us while taking a regular shift AND only earning 800k or so, I would argue that is more than worth burning a year.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
Here's my question - where are those UFAs willing to play for league minimum? They seem to be like unicorns in that every year fans and media talk about them, but no one can find one. When they do sign, they inevitably seem to get fairly big money, or at least more than a rookie first round pick would earn.

The forward market this year amongst UFAs, for instance, is so badly depleted that Mike Cammallari is going to cash in big yet again. If you're in the market for a goalie there are some options, but other than that the UFA market is seriously ugly.

To put it another way, we will pay Colin Greening more than double what Curtis Lazar would make if he was on our team full time next year. If Lazar gets 30-40 points for us while taking a regular shift AND only earning 800k or so, I would argue that is more than worth burning a year.

I don't know why you're mentioning guys like Camalleri when we're talking about league minimum.

Here are players who are available and will probably continue to play at league minimum:
Cody Bass, David Steckel, Trevor Smith, Chuck Kobasew, Stephen Gionta.

Just go to capgeek to find the much longer list of players who are on league minimum contracts.

If we play Lazar in a small role next year then we're potentially missing out on a year where we could have an ELC player in an impact role.

We get three years of Lazar on ELC. It is better for us if he can play those years as an impact player, since it's almost impossible to sign an impact player anywhere close to 800,000.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Calgary faced a somewhat similar choice last year - do you send Monahan back to junior, where he already dominated, or keep him up with the big club? Again, Calgary had all kinds of people telling them not to "burn" a year of Monahan's ELC, but they looked at it this way - the kid had learned all he could in junior, and was only going to develop bad habits by going back there. It sounds weird, but when forward play 25-27 minutes a night, they actually develop bad habits, playing lazy and cutting corners in order to save themselves physically. And let's be clear - if you're a junior coach with a stud 19 year old in your lineup and you need to win games, you are riding him like a rented mule.

Lazar will likely be in the exact same boat, especially when you consider how good the kid looked at our 2013 camp as a fuzzy cheeked 18 year old. Unless Lazar comes into camp 20 pounds overweight and stinks the place up, I would argue that you would be hurting his development by sending him back to junior. He has done all he can do at that level, and you are simply going to waste a year of the kid's development by sending him there. No question he has to earn the spot, but if in fact Curtis Lazar is one of our 12 best forwards coming out of camp, I think it is self defeating to send him back to junior and slot in some scrub like Chuck Kobasew. (Wow, there's a blast from the past name.) Again, we aren't a cap team, so it doesn't cripple us to have him coming off his ELC a year sooner. We still control his rights at that time, and could sign him to a pretty cap friendly bridge deal.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't know why you're mentioning guys like Camalleri when we're talking about league minimum.

Here are players who are available and will probably continue to play at league minimum:
Cody Bass, David Steckel, Trevor Smith, Chuck Kobasew, Stephen Gionta.

Just go to capgeek to find the much longer list of players who are on league minimum contracts.

If we play Lazar in a small role next year then we're potentially missing out on a year where we could have an ELC player in an impact role.

We get three years of Lazar on ELC. It is better for us if he can play those years as an impact player, since it's almost impossible to sign an impact player anywhere close to 800,000.

If the goal is to pay someone league minimum to sit in the press box more often than not, those guys will do just fine. If lazar is up, it's because he's playing, making the team better, and being given the chance to develop his game. He's not up to sit in the press box or play 8 mins a night.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
If the goal is to pay someone league minimum to sit in the press box more often than not, those guys will do just fine. If lazar is up, it's because he's playing, making the team better, and being given the chance to develop his game. He's not up to sit in the press box or play 8 mins a night.

Yes, my whole point is he should only be up with the team if he plays regularly otherwise we shouldn't burn a year of ELC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad