Prospect Info: 2014 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking: #6

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I had to vote Granberg. He's all but guaranteed to be on the team next year, so its kind of hard to say he isn't our sixth best prospect at least.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Connor Brown.

High motor, highly skilled and really good 2-way. Question marks on his skating with his size but I think his high IQ will make up for it.

After that I'll go A. Johnson, Granberg, Nilsson, and then Verhaeghe.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I had to vote Granberg. He's all but guaranteed to be on the team next year, so its kind of hard to say he isn't our sixth best prospect at least.

Granberg, Brown, Johnson and Nilsson to me are pretty much tied in terms of value and potential.

Brown has top 9 potential, and Granberg #4-5 potential, but I think if Brown can translate his game from the CHL to the AHL with ease, he's easily got that top line potential quality in his game which gives him my edge for the vote.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Granberg, Brown, Johnson and Nilsson to me are pretty much tied in terms of value and potential.

Brown has top 9 potential, and Granberg #4-5 potential, but I think if Brown can translate his game from the CHL to the AHL with ease, he's easily got that top line potential quality in his game which gives him my edge for the vote.

Yeah, its really close. Its really more about how you value safety vs. Ceiling, than who the better prospect is.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
After 1 quality season in the OHL - something many players have done including McKegg- I can see the appeal for Brown but there is no way he should be next when we have someone like Petter who will definitely be playing in the NHL.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
After 1 quality season in the OHL - something many players have done including McKegg- I can see the appeal for Brown but there is no way he should be next when we have someone like Petter who will definitely be playing in the NHL.

Just because a guy is close to the NHL doesn't mean he's better than a younger prospect who has more talent.

That's why Carter Ashton is rated top 6 or 7 by some.

He's realistically a 4th line winger in the future but he's highly regarded by some because he's closer.

Pholus

May 23, 2014

This is what I was thinking as well. He was very good at the OHL level, and if he can translate his game to the Marlies he could be playing on their top line by the end of the season.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Just because a guy is close to the NHL doesn't mean he's better than a younger prospect who has more talent.

That's why Carter Ashton is rated top 6 or 7 by some.

He's realistically a 4th line winger in the future but he's highly regarded by some because he's closer.

Fair, then McKegg should also be higher than Gauthier, as should Verheaghe. It's not only about Points, I like Brown, but it's more than having a productive season. I feel like Granberg will be a productive NHLer, Brown has some things to overcome to make it in the pro game (he hasn't proven he can play against men yet). I just feel this is more of a "what have you done for us lately pick". That being said everyone has different definitions of what is a good prospect.

FabledKnight

Feb 20, 2008
I voted MacWilliam. I see Matt Greene in his game. Greene was a strong defender for the kings on their first cup. I can see the same for Andrew. He won't be a top line defender but he'll be real important on our back end

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad