Salary Cap: 2014 Free Agent List

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
We're avoiding the problems Edmonton is having by,

1) Not throwing our players in the NHL right from Juniors.
2) Building a strong back end before forwards.

Also, Smyth is in Edmonton for that veteran leadership. I don't think veteran leadership is the problem.

The youngsters still need the support in the big club as well. It's not like RNH, Eberle or Hall weren't ready (as a players). That's not the problem. The problem is that the team's veterans suck as a players, and it hurts their authority a lot. Edmonton's team is led by the youngsters in fact, and that doesn't end well.

You need veterans who are not only relics, but can in fact lead on the ice as well, and take the burden as well.

If we count only on it, that it's enough if we let them marinate out of the big club, we're in a lot of problems. For example in Detroit's system it's essential that they have the veterans there to actually do the mentoring and who play on a high level as a players as well.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
There doesn't have to be more than one or two UFA signings to make the cap floor. With qualifying offers and a decision to keep or buy out and replace Leino and re-signing or replacing Tallinder, they should be above the floor with around 53 mil in salary.

Conacher-Hodgson-Stewart - re-sign Conacher (1 yr) at 1.1 + 4.25 + 4.15 = 9.5
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford - re-sign Foligno (2 yrs) at 1.25, Ennis (2 yrs) at 4.0 + 4.0 = 9.25
Deslauriers-Girgensons-Leino/UFA - re-sign Des (1 yr) at .750 + 1.369 + 4.5 = 6.619
Mitchell-Larsson-Flynn - 1.9 + .870 + .637 = 3.407
Ellis, Kaleta - .550 + 1.25 = 1.8

Forwards cap hit = 30.576

Ehrhoff-Myers - 4.0 + 5.5 = 9.5
Tallinder/UFA-McBain - 3.375 + 2.1 = 5.475
Weber-Pysyk - 1.667 + .870 = 2.537
Risto/Ruhwedel/Zadorov - around 1.5 mil cap hit

D-corps cap hit = 19.012

Enroth, Neuvirth = 1.25 + 2.5 = 3.75

Total cap hit = 53.338

I think Buffalo could even let Tallinder walk and have Ristolainen play more or platoon and still be at or very close to the floor. I can see that roster scoring more but allowing more goals without Miller, for a net gain of zero in the standings and safely defending their 30th place finish.

Edit - I think Buffalo's #1 draft pick will spend next season in juniors.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I like the idea of adding Daugavins and Gionta, but we're gonna have such a logjam of bottom 6 forwards. Assuming Des stays up due to waiver eligibility:

Conacher-Ennis-Stafford
Foligno-Hodgson-Stewart
Deslauriers-Girgensons-Gionta
Daugavins-Mitchell-Kaleta
Ellis, Scott, Konopka, Flynn

And then if Reinhart/Bennett is added and they want to play him immediately, you have another forward spot to use up. D'Agostini would be let go under this scenario, maybe Konopka and Scott also. And then there is Larsson, who will still have waiver eligibility.

One thing is for sure, Rochester will benefit from having guys down there.

Aapo

Jan 16, 2011
The youngsters still need the support in the big club as well. It's not like RNH, Eberle or Hall weren't ready (as a players). That's not the problem. The problem is that the team's veterans suck as a players, and it hurts their authority a lot. Edmonton's team is led by the youngsters in fact, and that doesn't end well.

You need veterans who are not only relics, but can in fact lead on the ice as well, and take the burden as well.

If we count only on it, that it's enough if we let them marinate out of the big club, we're in a lot of problems. For example in Detroit's system it's essential that they have the veterans there to actually do the mentoring and who play on a high level as a players as well.

Agree with this 100%

IMLACHnME

Dec 27, 2013
GTA
Deryk Engelland?

Anybody here from FNC? If so, could you please pass on my suggestion below to Tim Murray? Thank you.

This summer, Deryk Engelland will be a UFA, and a very reasonably priced one, at that. If he were signed by the Buffalo Sabres, even with enough of a raise to attract his attention, he could replace Mike Weber as the physical, third-pair d-man; replace Henrik Tallinder as the veteran on the blueline; and, possibly, replace John Scott as the ready-to-go heavyweight. Even if he is not as intimidating Scott, he is nonetheless respected for his ability and willingness to fight; and, since he could/should be in the lineup every game, he'd be more useful than Scott. Of course, the Sabres could probably employ both men, in some games.

Presumably, Engelland could be signed for something like $1million per season - he's now earning $566,667, less than half Weber's salary - and, if he could be, I'd be more than willing to do so.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Anybody here from FNC? If so, could you please pass on my suggestion below to Tim Murray? Thank you.

This summer, Deryk Engelland will be a UFA, and a very reasonably priced one, at that. If he were signed by the Buffalo Sabres, even with enough of a raise to attract his attention, he could replace Mike Weber as the physical, third-pair d-man; replace Henrik Tallinder as the veteran on the blueline; and, possibly, replace John Scott as the ready-to-go heavyweight. Even if he is not as intimidating Scott, he is nonetheless respected for his ability and willingness to fight; and, since he could/should be in the lineup every game, he'd be more useful than Scott. Of course, the Sabres could probably employ both men, in some games.

Presumably, Engelland could be signed for something like $1million per season - he's now earning $566,667, less than half Weber's salary - and, if he could be, I'd be more than willing to do so.

Defenseman enforcers are a rare breed nowadays. Removing one of the six guys for 5 minutes at a time is crippling to many teams' D units. Not a fan.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I'm all for matching 1 year $6M deals for Iginla and Jagr.

You'd gotta imagine Iginla will chase a cup. Throw money at Jagr for the sole purpose of putting his stall next to Grigorenko's.

I dont have a problem with $6M for Iginla. The advantage here is he will get his money he wants, then he knows Buffalo can trade him at the deadline to a cup favorite so he should get a long playoff run.

If he picks his own team they likely cant afford him and there is really so much uncertain beyond maybe 6-8 teams for next season that he could end up signing with a team that is a bubble team so they wont move him at the dealine and he wont have a shot to play in the playoffs since they wouldnt trade him.

Can we stop with the Callahan stuff already? I mean, its based on two things:

1) He wants to be 90 minutes away from his full time home. Which would result in a getting a place to live in Buffalo anyway.

2) We have money to burn to reach the cap floor. Which already has been fully debunked.

The other concern, I dont want cap space eaten up in the 2017 and 2018 with a high contract when we likely will start signing the core players to long term deals and start to eat up much of the cap space.

I dont believe in having the youngsters sit and stew in the minors burning up their ELC and not giving them time to develop fully to make a sound judgement on the long term contract.

I also have no issue with a rookie draft pick playing in the NHL. The only issue is usuing him properly.

the problem with Edmonton has been in 3 areas:

1. poor depth drafting--havent seen much from later draft picks at the nhl level.

2. forwards develop faster than defensmen.

3. Not having decent vet depth that fill in on the 3rd/4th lines and bottom pair defense.

Defenseman enforcers are a rare breed nowadays. Removing one of the six guys for 5 minutes at a time is crippling to many teams' D units. Not a fan.

I would not want and enforcer on defense who only plays 5 minutes per game and they are dressed as the 6th Dman. Id prefer having the enforcer as a 4th line forward or 7th Dman.

IMLACHnME

Dec 27, 2013
GTA
Deryk AND John

You've made a convincing argument for having Deryk Engelland and John Scott in the lineup. If Engelland does go off for five minutes, Big John can ably move down from the wing to replace him.

That said, more seriously, Engelland seems to be restricting himself to about half-a-dozen matches per season, perhaps on coach's orders. So, he's not duking it out much more than Scott or even Mike Weber.

Also, it would not break my heart if Engelland did go off for five minutes, if he took someone like #17 off with him, which he has done before.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Downie is only 26. Wow.

Although Downie is of the same mold as Ott and Kaleta, I can see him really being effective and rejuvenated under Nolan. He's worth considering in free agency if Flyers don't resign him and Murray can't sign Ott or Callahan for the grit elements.

1, 2, or 3 year deals... Pay stupid money. Vets with leadership qualities with a good history of teaching.

Any of the ones below, I'd be happy.

Callahan
Ott

Gionta
Orpik
Morrow

I would love Ott coming back. A guy I would want around such a young team.

Just overpay Callahan.

I suspect Murray will try to land via trades some top 6 upgrades to add scoring and use free agency to add some veteran leaders/role model types that are renowned for their competitiveness - which Callahan, Ott and Orpik would be. They won't be expected to provide offense as much as further cement the work ethic and commitment level that Nolan and Murray want in their youngsters.

While he's not the same type of aggressor and on-ice catalyst as those 3, I think the option of re-signing Tallinder for another year - similar to how the Sabres used Numminen in his final years - as an on-ice mentor for the young defensemen has some merit, especially if Zadorov isn't ready to crack the lineup next year. It's been noted several times this season by the media that, while Tallinder's capabilities on the ice aren't what they used to be, he's been an acknowledged positive influence on Pysyk and Ristolainen when they were on the roster and we know how Myers admires Tallinder. Obviously, the Sabres shouldn't pay Tallinder what he makes now but signing him to a 1-yr, $2M deal more for his mentoring, team-oriented mindset and stability wouldn't be a bad move IMO.

I'd love a really good checking line forward to play on a line with Larson next year. Start grooming Larson in the role he's actually going to play on the team.

They showed some good chemistry and compatibility on the same line in Rochester last season, in Traverse City and training camp - so I think teaming Girgensons with Larsson on a potential 3rd line, checking unit could work. Both certainly aren't afraid to chase the puck carrier and get in their face as forecheckers - and both seem capable of interchanging between center and wing. Larsson looked strong in penalty killing duties earlier in the season and Nolan hasn't been shy about using Girgensons there. If Foligno stays and is acknowledged as a better grinder than a scorer, maybe he would be the logical 3rd line winger to team with Larsson & Girgenson. Youthful, gritty 3rd line that have good defensive instincts, can chip in offensively on occasion and each of whom can take faceoffs and kill penalties.

Can we stop with the Callahan stuff already? I mean, its based on two things:

1) He wants to be 90 minutes away from his full time home. Which would result in a getting a place to live in Buffalo anyway.

2) We have money to burn to reach the cap floor. Which already has been fully debunked.

The rationale fueling the speculation is moreso based on not only growing up near Buffalo but being a fan of the Sabres through his youth. That, combined with the Sabres' willingness (and ability) to overpay, all lends credence to the odds of it being at least a strong possibility of Callahan considering the Sabres. The fly in the ointment is how much the Sabres' rebuilding status and exit of Callahan's childhood hero will impact his view of considering Buffalo if he doesn't re-sign with Tampa.

Last edited:

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Here's an idea: Instead of buying out Leino, how about if we put him in a coma and put him on the permanently injured list? Because injured players still count against the cap, right? And Leino is basically in a coma anyway. This way he helps us to reach the cap floor but doesn't take a spot from someone who might actually want to play.

There. I fixed it.

punch_leino.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad