Salary Cap: 2014 Free Agent List

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Gionta
Stempniak

I thought I read that a GM thought that next year's salary cap is going to be lower than they thought. Around $68M.

This may have lowered the price of rentals because teams felt they wouldn't be able to sign them for beyond this season.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Gionta
Stempniak

I thought I read that a GM thought that next year's salary cap is going to be lower than they thought. Around $68M.

This may have lowered the price of rentals because teams felt they wouldn't be able to sign them for beyond this season.

Yep, this is due to the weakness of the Canadian dollar.

SECRET SQUIRREL

Jan 17, 2007
Clarence
I hope Legwand is a target, can be our defensively responsible center we've been lacking. I suspect Callahan is gonna get paid by us as well, not really worried about getting to the floor tbh

SilverNitro23

Dec 1, 2006
Allentown, PA
If we can find those UFA's that have come to terms with throwing away a year or more of their life making a lot of money but no chance at a Stanley Cup... Target those.

Or make a pitch to some of these hardworking character guys into signing with us for one year, with a very good chance to be traded by us to a true contender a la trade deadline? They'd mentor our kids then go on into the playoffs elsewhere toward the end of the season.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
We will still have to spend 15+ million to get the cap.

No we dont......

By my estimate....if they CBO Leino and.....

Based on my estimates of resigning Ennis and Foligno and promoting the 3 young Dmen(Pysyk, Risto, Zads), Kaleta part of team as well as the new acquisition (Deslaurier--clear waivers next year), Larrson is part of the team next year. Grigs starts in Rochester.

they will be about $10M below the floor with 4 spots to fill. 3 forwards and 1 Dman.

They resign Talinder/Klesla for say $3M
1st round pick should cost around $3.5M at least in salary/bonus money.

So $4.5M to spend on afree agent.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
No we dont......

Based on my estimates of resigning Ennis and Foligno and promoting the 3 young Dmen(Pysyk, Risto, Zads), Kaleta part of team as well as the new acquisition (Deslaurier--clear waivers next year), Larrson is part of the team next year. Grigs starts in Rochester.

they will be about $10M below the floor with 4 spots to fill. 3 forwards and 1 Dman.

And if they don't promote Risto AND Zadorov? Because I honestly believe they won't be full time NHLers next year .....

ZeroPT*

No we dont......

This will not happen. Murray has said you NEED to develop your prospects properly and throwing three rookie/sophomore D-men to the wolves at the ages of 19-22 is a good way to become the Oilers.

Detroit takes an eternity to develop their prospects, and look where they are.
20 straight play off appearances

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
No we dont......

Floor will be around 50 million? Leino will shed 4.5 million. Would put us at 31.5 million.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Bring back Ott and Moulson add Borland if he is healthy.

Ott 4.3 x 4
Moulson 5.5 x6
Bolland 5x5

14.8 million over three guys ..that should help.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
It's pretty clear that we need at least one veteran d-man in addition of Ehrhoff and Myers (if you deem him as a one).

Re-signing Tallinder would be a good choice. But I think it should be only one year deal, because after next season, when we're supposed to start to turn this tank around, he is not good enough as an top-4-guy. And I really don't like the idea of depending solely on the scenario, that McCabe/Zadorov has to be ready to take that top-4-spot after next season.

But is Tallinder ready to take a short deal like that? And with who would we replace him after next season?

I'm starting to think that we should target Nikita Nikitin. CBJ have a lot of cap used on their defense (Johnson, Tyutin, Wisniewski), so I don't think they are going to keep him, because he's going to get a clear raise. He's still pretty young and a good top-4-pairing. So he could easily be a lot of help even after next season. And I prefer the idea that Zadorov/McCabe really have to win the spot from a guy like Nikitin than that they are offered it from the silver plate.

I think Nikitin would be a realistic option if we offer him something like 4,5-5 mil. x 4-5 years. We HAVE to fill the cap space to reach the floor, so it's not a problem at all. And I think he might appreciate the idea of being able to play even top-pairing minutes (he would be a pretty good fit with Myers, I think). Sure it might get problematic when Zadorov/McCabe starts to surpass him (at least hopefully!). But I don't think it would be a problem to trade him with retaining something like 1,5 million from his caphit.

Is this idea totally stillborn? How do you guys think we should handle the situation with our defense regarding the upcoming seasons past next season?

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Nikitin is fantastic and isn't so old that he couldn't contribute meaningfully in a few years

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Nikitin is fantastic and isn't so old that he couldn't contribute meaningfully in a few years

Think so too. The d-corps for next season might look like this:

Nikitin - Myers
Ehrhoff - Pysyk/Ruh/Risto (Let them fight from this spot and kind of cycle them as well)
Weber - McBain
UFA-tweener

For rebuilding reasons it's better to have more solid D and a peagun offense than the other way. With solid D you play more tight games with less setbacks, but still lose. If you get scored a ton it affects more (I think) to players confidence levels.

I would love Ott coming back. A guy I would want around such a young team.

Me too. With the remote possibility of Callahan signing with us that would provide us really, really good veteran presence and leadership with the kids. And them being complimentary pieces, it wouldn't hurt the tank either. :)

ZeroPT*

Love Nikitin, if he'd sign with us on the deal Heraldic proposed, I'd be over the moon. Also agree that when rebuilding its Important to have some good D.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I wonder how many 35+ guys they will sign on one year deals like Iginla, Alfredsson, and Morrow got this past year?

That could be a way to add vets, get to the floor, and not tie up cap space long term.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Marcus Foligno ($2.500m) / Cody Hodgson ($4.250m) / Chris Stewart ($4.150m)
Tyler Ennis ($4.000m) / Drew Stafford ($4.000m)
Johan Larsson ($0.763m) / Zemgus Girgensons ($0.894m) / Brian Flynn ($0.638m)
Cory Conacher ($0.874m) / Torrey Mitchell ($1.900m) / Patrick Kaleta ($1.250m)
Matt Ellis ($0.550m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Nikita Zadorov ($0.925m) / Tyler Myers ($5.500m)
Christian Ehrhoff ($4.000m) / Mark Pysyk ($0.870m)
Rasmus Ristolainen ($0.925m)
Mike Weber ($1.667m) /
GOALTENDERS
Michal Neuvirth ($2.500m)
Jhonas Enroth ($1.250m)
BUYOUTS
Ville Leino ($0.000m)
Nathan Gerbe ($0.308m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $43,714,125; BONUSES: $2,281,667
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $27,385,875

So, cap floor need isn't THAT great. That being said:

Ott: 4x5
Ranger: 3.5x3

Should about do it. That's a bottom of the NHL team with enough grit to be entertaining, but too young of a defense and not enough scoring to break out of the bottom 5 in the league.

Nibbler

May 24, 2011
Ambassador to Earth
I'd prefer they don't go signing multiple free agents... We don't want this team winning next season, or anything ridiculous like that.

Just overpay Callahan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->