Prospect Info: 2014 Flyers prospect ranking: #6

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
I don't consider Akeson much as a prospect at this point. Also, while Akeson may have better vision and pucks skills, Leier takes him in just about every other aspect of the game. For a lot reasons, I have him above Akeson. Not a knock on Akeson

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
went stolie then NAK

at 7.

NAK has a pretty high ceiling. i can see him on the 2nd line. he needs some refining on his defensive play. good skater, good offensive skills. easier to teach an offensive forward to play a two way game than it is to get offense from a defensive forward.

compared to a guy like raffl, NAK has way more offense than raffl.

gonna go friedman or lindblom at 8. friedman plays right d i think. could see him as a number 4 dman. lindblom is gonna be a good power forward, his style is flyers style. if his skating improves, we could have ourselves another simmer.

our cupboard is looking pretty good.well stocked.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Hmm, ok now it gets difficult. I'm choosing between Stolarz, Aube-Kubel, and Leier.

I think Leier is a real decent bet to have an actual career as a bottom 6 winger. Aube-Kubel I've never really seen play. I remember seeing him during the Memorial Cup broadcasts, but wasn't paying enough attention to have an opinion. Aube-Kubel has a good pedigree and when the Flyers take a forward in the 2nd round from the Q, everyone should pay attention.

I'll vote Stolarz because I've seen enough of him to mildly like him now and definitely see his upside. People probably don't realize just how little experience he has for a prospect of his caliber. I can see him having some rough patches this year in the AHL, but that is ok. His overall upside is just a lot higher than NAK and Leier, so he's my pick here. If you chose one of the other two here, I can't argue against it.

Anthony+Stolarz+Finland+v+United+States+BldMD1C12Jwl.jpg

The bolded are my next three too but not in that order. I've seen Stolarz make amazing saves and play solidly, and I've seem him make Leighton look like Parent. It's really too early to say whether he'll ever be an NHL starter, as you say, because he just doesn't have the experience. In both Memorial Cups, he crapped the bed. To me, that is not a good sign, even taking extenuating circumstances into account. He gets pulled out of position too easily, goes down too early, etc. He has the athleticism to be a solid goalie, we'll see how he does in the AHL this year. I want to see him succeed, but I'm giving him some time. It could be a long year for the Phantoms if both he and Zepp fail to acclimatize to the new league.

Aube-Kubel really impressed me at the MemCup as a Justin Williams type smart fast winger and Leier is going to be an NHL player for sure. He's fast, smart and feisty too. A great leader. I can see Leier and Laughton on the PK some day, as they both were for Canada at the WJC at times.

Last edited:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Imagine Goumas was listed because he was in development camp and is signed to an AHL contract. Given the lack of depth in the Flyers prospect pool, he is likely as some of the players towards the bottom of their group to progress into a player one day.

Defenseman Steven Delisle is another one who fits in this category.

Also, I still don't understand why Kevin Goumas is even listed. He isn't a Flyers prospect. The Flyers don't own his rights. Matt Hatch isn't listed, and to the best of my knowledge, they are in the same situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad