2014 CBJ Offseason Thread III (All proposals, "blog" rumors, speculation in here)

Mar 1, 2002
I normally like him, but his "I don't trust Milano's word that's he's going to BC" is garbage.

He just doesn't want to be wrong.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
:huh:

I don't get the Porty hate. I thought this was a good article. Not exactly sure what Porty could write that would make people happy.

:dunno:

What does he know about Milano that he's not sharing with everyone else? Why does he sit in front of his computer with a smug grin and write crap like this? If he knows something, he needs to explain himself or just shut up.

And him working his bad musical taste into every. single. post. is beyond irritating.

I don't like his style....you don't mind his style. Differing opinions. It happens.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Maybe he just appeals to us oldies. :laugh:

Could be, EK! For instance, I dislike Oller, Dispatch columnist, who strikes me as the kiddie version of what DJA sees in Portzline. As has been said many times, tastes and opinions differ, even among the closest families.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
I think Porty is ok. I definitely covet his job, that's for sure. Arace is the one I don't like. He always ends his articles as if he drops the microphone. And he sounds like an idiot on cannon fodder. Seriously, any of us here on HF are more informed than Arace is and could weigh in better on that podcast.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I think Porty is ok. I definitely covet his job, that's for sure. Arace is the one I don't like. He always ends his articles as if he drops the microphone. And he sounds like an idiot on cannon fodder. Seriously, any of us here on HF are more informed than Arace is and could weigh in better on that podcast.

I can't believe you listen to him long enough to be able to form that detailed of an opinion :)

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I think Porty is ok. I definitely covet his job, that's for sure. Arace is the one I don't like.

It's easy to be critical of the media. What I like about Porty is that he tries. We have a pretty good amount of coverage. That is a good thing. I didn't get DJ's comment on the other page. Coming off as the smartest guy in the room? Not sure what that is supposed to mean. He's coming off an confident?

I don't mind Arace. I don't mind Porty. Then again, I don't really trust either of their opinions on hockey. i prefer when they just report, but part of their job is to give us news when there is none. So Porty will speculate from time-to-time. What I could do without is the weekly Q&A with Porty. But that is more because of the people asking the questions than Porty answering them.

I trust my instincts more than Porty's. His 2 year, 10.5 or so contract is probably about right. That is just his guess, but it's not a bad one.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I'll give Portzline some a pass on the summer, the biggest post draft news was signing Brian Gibbons. It's been an exceptionally dull summer and I think he's struggling to talk about meaningful stuff. Hence the Milano tweets.

Jacket

Apr 3, 2012
Cincinnati
I appreciate the job Portzline does. I think he does a fine job balancing professional integrity (not throwing sources under the bus, etc.) with providing content (calling the Milano move). What I don't appreciate is most of his interactions with fans on Twitter. It seems that over 70% of his interactions are with uninformed people or belligerent fools.

Hope ya'll are having a good offseason.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I appreciate the job Portzline does. I think he does a fine job balancing professional integrity (not throwing sources under the bus, etc.) with providing content (calling the Milano move). What I don't appreciate is most of his interactions with fans on Twitter. It seems that over 70% of his interactions are with uninformed people or belligerent fools.

Hope ya'll are having a good offseason.

Now he knows how I feel.;)

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Can you trade the 1st round picks you receive as compensation in offer sheet scenarios?

Common senses would say yes...but this is legalese and union stuff so who knows. I don't have the strength to search the CBA but I'd bet a dollar you can.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Can you trade the 1st round picks you receive as compensation in offer sheet scenarios?

Yes. In fact, former CBJ player Chris Gratton was involved in one of these. Philly signed him to an offer sheet from Tampa, Tampa didn't match it and received four 1sts as compensation. Good for Tampa.

Tampa then traded the four 1sts right back to Philly in exchange for Mikael Renberg and Karl Dykhuis. Philly kept the picks and drafted:
1998 - Simon Gagne
1999 - Maxime Ouellet
2000 - Justin Williams
2001 (#23) - traded to Carolina for #27, #225, and a 2002 second-rounder (#34). Tim Gleason was taken with this pick by Carolina, and the 2002 second-rounder was part of a deal that brought Joni Pitkanen to Philly.

Bad for Tampa.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Hockey Buzz Eklund ‏@Eklund
Hearing Patrick Marleau weighing out a possible trade...stay tuned

Marleau for Atkinson++?

:sarcasm:

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Hockey Buzz Eklund ‏@Eklund
Hearing Patrick Marleau weighing out a possible trade...stay tuned

Marleau for Atkinson++?

:sarcasm:

No thanks.

Marleau is getting up there in years (34) ... I'm willing to bet that within the next two seasons, Atkinson scores more goal than Marleau.

I said it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->