2014 CBJ Offseason Thread III (All proposals, "blog" rumors, speculation in here)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 2m

#CBJ C Derek MacKenzie, RW Jack Skille and LW Blake Comeau all appear headed to free agency, w MacKenzie the biggest surprise of the group.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Going into tomorrow, factoring out all UFA's (MacKenzie, Schultz, Comeau, Skille) and keeping all RFA's. Here would be my lineup

Jenner - Joey - Horton
Hartnell - Anisimov - Atkinson
Calvert - Dubinsky - Foligno
Hjalmarsson - Letestu - Boll
Tropp, Frattin

JJ - Savard
Murray - Wisniewski
Tyutin - Prout
Erixon

Bob
McE

Having a hard time keeping Wennberg off the roster. I still think he's going to make it hard on management to send him down. Anyway, that's a pretty solid group with some depth. I just hope we keep MacKenzie still :(

No offense, but I hate that 4th line with a burning passion.

Mac's departure indicates to me that we'll be signing someone today.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Sad to see DMac go, but good god did we have a lot of plugs that we needed to clear out.

Tropp, Frattin, MacKenzie, Boll, Comeau, Skille is WAY too much chaff in the bottom 6. JK and JD were speaking the truth about needing to add more skill. Lets see if they actually do something about it.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
DMac was also the oldest player on the team, and after letting Umberger and Schultz go, we only have 4 players on the team aged 30 or older.. Wiz (30), Tyutin (31 soon), McBackup (31), Hartnell (32)

thebus2288*

Sad to see DMac go, but good god did we have a lot of plugs that we needed to clear out.

Tropp, Frattin, MacKenzie, Boll, Comeau, Skille is WAY too much chaff in the bottom 6. JK and JD were speaking the truth about needing to add more skill. Lets see if they actually do something about it.

This.

Kulemin, Vrbata, Legwand and Cammaleri would all be legit additions. Stastny only if there really is a Johansen issue. What do you guys think about Stempniak, Whitney, Winnik or Boyle?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Going into tomorrow, factoring out all UFA's (MacKenzie, Schultz, Comeau, Skille) and keeping all RFA's. Here would be my lineup

Jenner - Joey - Horton
Hartnell - Anisimov - Atkinson
Calvert - Dubinsky - Foligno
Hjalmarsson - Letestu - Boll
Tropp, Frattin

JJ - Savard
Murray - Wisniewski
Tyutin - Prout
Erixon

Bob
McE

Having a hard time keeping Wennberg off the roster. I still think he's going to make it hard on management to send him down. Anyway, that's a pretty solid group with some depth. I just hope we keep MacKenzie still :(

Great team. ****** 4th line would score half as much as last year's.

"Adding skill" must have meant something to do with upgrading skill on the scoring lines. IF it meant letting Derek Mackenzie go then Jarmo needs to be fired and fired quickly. D-Mac is skilled for a 4th liner. Realistically Jarmo doesn't think that Mackenzie should go to accommodate skill, but I have to wonder what he is thinking.

This.

Kulemin, Vrbata, Legwand and Cammaleri would all be legit additions.

No, not this. You don't let Mackenzie go to bring in Mike Cammaleri, etc... Those decisions have nothing to do with each other. Different lines.

Last edited:

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
No, not this. You don't let Mackenzie go to bring in Mike Cammaleri, etc... Those decisions have nothing to do with each other. Different lines.

It's about numbers and budget. We still have plenty of guys who can slide down into a 4th line role. You can't sign a Cammalleri, Vrbata, etc if you already have 18 forwards in house. Putting DMac's potential money toward a more skilled guy is fine with me.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Another name I'll throw out is Leo Komarov. He played for Jarmo at the Olympics, he's a third line RW. I'm guessing, not much would be need to make a signing like that. It would bump Atkinson up to the second line. That would make really four tough, gritty lines that would make us tough to play against. There's not a ton of skill there, but a lot of hard work and toughness.

Actually signing him is fairly complicated since there should be multiple suitors... Intelligent defensive forward, pest, hard hitter with good skating ability and character in same guy...

In MacKenzie the question could be his age... and of course pay and term... Wouldn't be the first guy to lose some of his game with aging.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
As of right now we have 11 F' signed and 6 D (with Erixon & Golo qualified). Maybe we're headed for a 13 F - 8 D roster since we will have a bunch of guys in Springfield for recall in case of injury.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
I'll add to the disappointment in letting Mac go, he's the perfect 4th liner. But I guess when youre throwing money away at a guy like Boll, you have to play him. Tell Mac Boll has his money :laugh:

Last edited:

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
letting MacKenzie walk sounds like such an awful idea

DMac is being allowed to test the market, that doesn't necessarily mean he's gone. It may, of course, but he's still free to re-sign here, if that's what both parties want. I'd like to see him back, of course, but I'll be happy for him if he get a nice raise elsewhere, because he deserves it - one of my favorite Jackets, always gave every shift everything he had.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
How many years can you give a 33 year old 4th line center? If he wants anything longer than 2 years, I'd be hesitant and he can probably get 3-4 years from 6-8 teams.

This could be his last contract and probably hasn't made a ton of bank. If he can cash something closer to 2 million over 3 or 4 years, more power to him. Retiring with closer to 10 million dollars than just 5 million is the difference between having to work a job and maybe not.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
How many years can you give a 33 year old 4th line center? If he wants anything longer than 2 years, I'd be hesitant and he can probably get 3-4 years from 6-8 teams.

This could be his last contract and probably hasn't made a ton of bank. If he can cash something closer to 2 million over 3 or 4 years, more power to him. Retiring with closer to 10 million dollars than just 5 million is the difference between having to work a job and maybe not.

Exactly. I love Mac but this is likely his last contract and he needs to cash in. If he can get a 3 or 4 year deal he needs to take it. The jackets can't give him that.

WashedUp

Mar 28, 2014
So Frattins 4 games with one assist and abundant press box time must have been impressive to earn a QO. .....and then letting DMac walk. Not quite understanding this one

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
So Frattins 4 games with one assist and abundant press box time must have been impressive to earn a QO. .....and then letting DMac walk. Not quite understanding this one

My guess is that Dmac made it clear that he wanted to test the market and Frattin was kept around as insurance because he's more likely to accept a 2 way deal than Comeau or Skille.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
They are not putting DMac's money towards a "more skilled" guy. You can't get a more skilled 4th liner than DMac. Our fourth line was one of our strengths last year. It does not seem like that will be the case in this coming. It will be more of a garden variety group of "meh" like we have had in the past. What a horrible decision.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Darko, why in the name of Gordie Howe would they trade Atkinson, who is under contract and under their control, and is also their third leading goal scorer with room for growth?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad