Prospect Info: 2014 Caps WJC Thread

realroadrage

Jun 20, 2010
Ah, I remember it like it was yesterday. GMGM calls a conference together about a "big deal" he's making. My heart is aflutter! Could it be that McPhee has finally come to terms that our core isn't going to make it over the hump in the playoffs and he's orchestrated the roster shakeup I've been anticipating for a couple years?

I wake up with all the glee of a kid on Christmas morning to check how our admirable GM has fleeced some poor sap and set us up for present and future success. I jump to the first breaking article on NHL.com with thoughts of what bounty he could have possibly received racing through my mind! The future is bright with Kuznetsov, Forsberg, and Grubauer in our ranks; what new heroes join us in our quest for Lord Stanley's Cup? The worst is behind us, this is the start of something great!

Then all at once my eager face goes pale, giddy anticipation turns to confusion. There must be some sort of mistake, maybe some intern is playing a practical joke. In short order bewilderment gives way to anger! How could this happen?! How could anyone think this is okay?! Finally, aggravation yields to hopelessness and despair.

Erat for Forsberg.

Sums up my experience as well, although I'll add that it was at that point that I immediately and vehemently called for McPhee's firing.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Outside of one shift, Burakovsky has been much too cavalier on the puck in this game.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Tbh, I didn't notice anybody individually from Sweden today, aside from goal scorers, and whoever made the great pass for the 2-0 breakaway. Swedish defensemen played well, forwards on the whole were unimpressive.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
iA1ujOzyod0Cc.gif

hahahaha

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=77313789&postcount=468
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=77313737&postcount=477

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Laughton & Horvat have been huge disappointments for Canada. Intangibles deactivated apparently.

Terrific discipline and structure by Finland, though.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
we could have had both forsberg and teravainen/maatta, unfortunately GMGM has a hard on for useless vets and hates Fins. that draft could have been so great :(.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
we could have had both forsberg and teravainen/maatta, unfortunately GMGM has a hard on for useless vets and hates Fins. that draft could have been so great :(.

You don't think drafting a glorified enforcer in the 1st round was a good idea?

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

Yeah I really wanted Teravainen at 16 but was kind of ok with passing on him since they had gotten a high end skill forward in Forsberg already. When they dealt Forsberg not getting Teravainen ticked me off even more...

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Russia with their 3rd too many men on the ice penalty of the game.

I have to say with Bishop and Vasilevski Tampa appears set in net for a long time...

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Ha Canada with no WJC medal for the 2nd year in a row. The way so many Canadians treat the gold in this tournament as their divine right or something is fairly hysterical. Nothing like hearing that xenophobe Ferraro almost break down in tears...

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I still can't believe McPhee didn't trade down, no one had Wilson going in the first round...
Plenty of people did. McKenzie's final rankings based on scout opinions had him at 18. Philadelphia probably would have taken him over Laughton if he was still available and it was a lock he would go in the first round.

Nonetheless, hard to believe he'll be as impactful or has anywhere near as high a ceiling compared to the players taken with the following three picks or even Maatta.

Playing him a few minutes a game with a couple of sub-replacement players on a team with subpar system execution is another stroke of brilliance.

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Burakovsky is so fast.
Not sure there's anyone in the tournament faster. Maybe Zadorov equals him in top-end speed but he doesn't have the same burst.

I know they want balance but they need to find him more ice-time since he's clearly locked in, esp. against a team that plays like Finland. His speed is a massive asset in breaking down their structure and creating havoc. Everything he wasn't against Russia he was in the first period.

Liberati0n*

I turned the game on just in time to see Sweden go full Capitals.

What numbers are Burakovsky and Djoos?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Burakovsky (18) and Djoos (4).

Sweden's line decisions are questionable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->