Prospect Info: 2014 57th Overall Pick | D Johnathan MacLeod

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
https://twitter.com/erlendssonTBO
NHL Scout on MacLeod "He closes gaps quickly and is tough to play against. He's a good, mobile skater who likes to move the puck. He'll finish his checks and knock you through the boards if he could''
https://twitter.com/BoltProspects
MacLeod projects as a hard-to-play-against third pair defenseman. Big project, but he's well thought of if he made U18s.
ML: Phsyical, versatile, US 7th D at 18s but PP PK, reckless, no offense, decent passer, okay skater / potential, impact when takes charge
https://twitter.com/TBTimes_JSmith
MacLeod was a captain for Team USA Under-17. Another defensive-minded defenseman, plays a physical game. Will attend Boston University
#TBLightning MacLeod plays a "shutdown style," more defense-orientated, but believes time at Boston Univ will help show a different side

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=95395
Shows capability in a lot of different areas from skating to physical play, to jumping into the attack and taking shots. He appears to be scratching the surface of his potential because when he takes charge, he can make an impact.
http://boltprospects.com/content/2014-draft-2nd-round-57th-overall
Strengths:
Lots of pro tools. Big, mobile rearguard has NHL athleticism and has barely scratched his potential. Shows willingness to take the body and a big point shot. Will develop in a strong program at Boston University.

Weaknesses:
Raw. Very raw. Positionally unpolished in the defensive zone. Unrefined offensively and can tend to make a sloppy outlet pass.

Projection:

Project defenseman with top-4 ceiling.

Comparisons:
Ben Lovejoy

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Never heard of the kid but the scouting report has me salivating. He is exactly the kind of player we will need to sustain a dynasty.... that's if we have one of course. If he is as rough around the edges as the reports say then let's take our time with him.

See you in about 3 or 4 years. Love the fact he's developing at Boston U.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Second round pick - only 23 but spent the year in the ECHL — after four college seasons. Hard to imagine he's still viewed as much of a prospect — even if D often take longer to develop.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Second round pick - only 23 but spent the year in the ECHL — after four college seasons. Hard to imagine he's still viewed as much of a prospect — even if D often take longer to develop.
I don't think he's even in the organization anymore.

His eliteprospects page doesn't have anything for him for the 2019-20 season either, wonder if he called it quits after the rough year for South Carolina

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I don't think he's even in the organization anymore.

His eliteprospects page doesn't have anything for him for the 2019-20 season either, wonder if he called it quits after the rough year for South Carolina
I saw MacLeod play for SC. I wouldn't say he had a rough year. He's a defensive d-man on a defense oriented team. Their highest scoring d-man that year had 6 goals.

MacLeod was maybe like a top 4 D for them (and improving). He was under a one-year contract with their affiliate in Hershey, but didn't get any games.

His twitter profile says that he's a Sharks prospect, but he may have gotten injured or peaced out since then.

Reactions: Steazy Doo

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
He definitely is no longer part of the Tampa Bay organization. In looking at Cap Friendly, it had him with the Utah Grizzlies this past season but doesn't have any statistics. Injured?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
He definitely is no longer part of the Tampa Bay organization. In looking at Cap Friendly, it had him with the Utah Grizzlies this past season but doesn't have any statistics. Injured?
Let's see.

He was signed by the Grizzlies in July 2019 (which is not recorded by EP), but team suspended by them Sep 30. That normally happens when someone is going to go to Europe so you don't have to release them. He could have easily been flipped for a FC if he wasn't a fit.

Europe for an import defensive defenseman seems like kind of a hard sell though since the spots are limited. You've got to be a top end player right away. (we'd be talking about a league like DEL2, Allsvenskan, or the elite Danish league for a player of his caliber, although the EIHL may have been the best fit for him. They play a very North American style game, speak English, and you can make decent money, although you've cut yourself off from the NHL/AHL ecosystem.

Protected lists come out next month, so I'll check if Utah still has his rights then. They probably do.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
At least we got Point in the 3rd round that draft.

Our 2nd round drafting has been pretty rough since Kucherov in 2011. Blujus and Hart in 12 no NHL games. Erne in 13 played in the NHL but was a bit of a disappointment. Masin and MacLeod in 14 no NHL games, Masin might but not a given. Stephens and Spencer in 15 with Stephens being good but ot really a top 6 guy especially when drafted early 2nd and Spencer a bust. Hajek, Raddysh and Katchouk in 16 Hajek was a traded and the other two are still a year or so out if they make it. Volkov in 17 made the NHL but didn't really stand out, may get another look but no sure thing he sticks. Luckily we got guys like Paquette, Point, Cirelli and Joseph later in the draft to help those misses.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
At least we got Point in the 3rd round that draft.

Our 2nd round drafting has been pretty rough since Kucherov in 2011. Blujus and Hart in 12 no NHL games. Erne in 13 played in the NHL but was a bit of a disappointment. Masin and MacLeod in 14 no NHL games, Masin might but not a given. Stephens and Spencer in 15 with Stephens being good but ot really a top 6 guy especially when drafted early 2nd and Spencer a bust. Hajek, Raddysh and Katchouk in 16 Hajek was a traded and the other two are still a year or so out if they make it. Volkov in 17 made the NHL but didn't really stand out, may get another look but no sure thing he sticks. Luckily we got guys like Paquette, Point, Cirelli and Joseph later in the draft to help those misses.
blujus was looking decent and then we just didnt sign him idk what that was about

masin still could be something

katchouk still a solid prospect

i think volkov will be a NHL regular

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
blujus was looking decent and then we just didnt sign him idk what that was about

masin still could be something

katchouk still a solid prospect

i think volkov will be a NHL regular

Pretty sure with Blujus is that he had a wrist injury that the organization didn't think was that bad but he did. He ended up getting surgery in season so he missed most of the year. I don't know if the surgery was approved by the organization or not. They drafted him pretty high, he had good size, skating and was a top 4 RD in Syracuse you would think they would keep him around but they let him walk. So I would assume that disagreement over the injury and surgery had something to do with it.

Masin can still be something but more like a bottom pair guy at best. Being an early 2nd you'd expect to at least have made the show by now or at least look more promising than a depth player.

Katchouk is ok. Had much more hype and hope when still in junior. Has had a much rougher time transitioning to the pro game for someone who's game seems tailor made for the pro style. Still time for him but the potential 30 goal two way beast is no more, hopefully a 15 goal two way one is still possible.

Volkov looked like shit in the NHL. He's also stagnated in Syracuse and never took that next step after his rookie year. Like Katchouk he still has potential but that's not nearly as high as once thought. Maybe he can carve out a decent bottom 6 career but I'm not holding my breath, I think he could be back in Russia if he doesn't stick in the NHL full time next season.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Pretty sure with Blujus is that he had a wrist injury that the organization didn't think was that bad but he did. He ended up getting surgery in season so he missed most of the year. I don't know if the surgery was approved by the organization or not. They drafted him pretty high, he had good size, skating and was a top 4 RD in Syracuse you would think they would keep him around but they let him walk. So I would assume that disagreement over the injury and surgery had something to do with it.

Masin can still be something but more like a bottom pair guy at best. Being an early 2nd you'd expect to at least have made the show by now or at least look more promising than a depth player.

Katchouk is ok. Had much more hype and hope when still in junior. Has had a much rougher time transitioning to the pro game for someone who's game seems tailor made for the pro style. Still time for him but the potential 30 goal two way beast is no more, hopefully a 15 goal two way one is still possible.

Volkov looked like shit in the NHL. He's also stagnated in Syracuse and never took that next step after his rookie year. Like Katchouk he still has potential but that's not nearly as high as once thought. Maybe he can carve out a decent bottom 6 career but I'm not holding my breath, I think he could be back in Russia if he doesn't stick in the NHL full time next season.
disagree on volkov but not on the rest

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Let's see.

He was signed by the Grizzlies in July 2019 (which is not recorded by EP), but team suspended by them Sep 30. That normally happens when someone is going to go to Europe so you don't have to release them. He could have easily been flipped for a FC if he wasn't a fit.

Europe for an import defensive defenseman seems like kind of a hard sell though since the spots are limited. You've got to be a top end player right away. (we'd be talking about a league like DEL2, Allsvenskan, or the elite Danish league for a player of his caliber, although the EIHL may have been the best fit for him. They play a very North American style game, speak English, and you can make decent money, although you've cut yourself off from the NHL/AHL ecosystem.

Protected lists come out next month, so I'll check if Utah still has his rights then. They probably do.
Just as a follow up, Utah did not list MacLeod on their protected list.
ECHL announces Protected Lists

There's not a downside to just keep everybody (like Orlando does) for 15 more days. The only thing you could really do with an asset like MacLeod is if the guy wants to play in the league next year, you can move him to complete a future considerations deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad