2014 35th Overall - Dominik Masin

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
I like it. Started out as an exclusively defensive defenseman and now contributes more on offense. I'm a fan of guys that can play in their own end. Also, physicality is a bonus. It just seems that maybe we could have waited a bit and still gotten him? Either way, I like it. We needed solid D prospects.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Really like him. Not sure how "safe" it is, he still has questions about speed, but it does seem like he has a much better chance of becoming a top 4 defender so I guess that is a bit safe.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=95301
Dominik helps a team win some way, some how. His poise is outstanding yet he competes with it at an very high level. Makes a difference in so many ways and his actions and leadership speaks volumes about his winning intentions.
http://boltprospects.com/content/2014-draft-2nd-round-35th-overall
Strengths:
Mobile skater with a nice, projectable frame that will fill out even more. Already strong and well schooled positionally. Manages his gap control well and closes out his marks physically. Shows some ability to handle the puck and jump into the play and is fairly unflappable under duress.

Weaknesses:
Had a slow start to the 2013-2014 campaign and performed better overall for country than he did for club. Although he has some offensive tools, he's not a power play quarterback at this point in his career. Sometimes struggles giving and receiving passes.

Projection:

#4/5 Defenseman

Comparisons:
Travis Hamonic

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Of all the players we picked Masin is the one I want most to succeed. We need a guy who is gonna lock it down. We have so much in the system in terms of high scoring forwards that going for an offensive defenseman in DeAngelo just seems like a backup to if Koekkoek doesn't work out because getting points won't be a problem, keeping the other team from scoring points will be. As far as I know, Slater has been groomed to be a PPQB has he not?

Having a guy like DeAngelo who might score 40 points or more is nice to have if he can be that good is nice. You can win a championship without a guy like that but not without a guy who is gonna lock it down.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Of all the players we picked Masin is the one I want most to succeed. We need a guy who is gonna lock it down. We have so much in the system in terms of high scoring forwards that going for an offensive defenseman in DeAngelo just seems like a backup to if Koekkoek doesn't work out because getting points won't be a problem, keeping the other team from scoring points will be. As far as I know, Slater has been groomed to be a PPQB has he not?

Having a guy like DeAngelo who might score 40 points or more is nice to have if he can be that good is nice. You can win a championship without a guy like that but not without a guy who is gonna lock it down.
Koekkoek can run a PP, but he's more of a two-way defenseman, where DeAngelo is a pure offensive guy.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
But, for the first time in a long time, we have more than 1-2 defensive prospects to talk about haha.

TBF, we've had Koekkoek, Barbs, Gudas, and Sustr, with a few other long-shots in the pipeline. Blujus could still make a push if he develops in 'Cuse, as well as Nesterov. But we're stocking the pipeline, so that's excellent.

Also, I love this dude's name.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Courtesy of DraftBuzz:

DOMINIK MASIN D, 6’2’’ 194 lbs, HC Slavia Praha, CZECH U20
Biggest Strength: Hard hitting leader who can keep up offensively
Biggest Weakness: Not intelligent physically

“As Captain of the CZE U18 team, it is safe to say he flew under the radar for the majority of the year playing overseas. DraftBuzz thinks highly of him as he likely could have had similar impact as Zadorov if he had played CHL hockey this year. Viewing one shift of this strapping blueliner will clearly show you why he has worn letters. Agility allows him to step around forwards and start the breakout. Great a subtle moves to protect puck while advancing play. Beams up ice with confidence despite not being a strict puck mover. Goes for the body first, then the puck which is a great quality in a D. Knows when to stop at his net and pick up new coverage showing he can command the flow from his teammates in his own zone. The type of guy who can and will block a shot, run a forward off, and breakout all in one swoop. Able to do whatever it takes to stop a play IE drop down and take away passing lane with his stick. Quick reactions in worst case situations. Masin could certainly see a first round team get behind his rare combination of skills. â€

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
Masin drafted 21st by Peterbourough in CHL Import Draft:

Peterborough Petes @PetesOHLhockey 3m
With the 21st pick in the '14 @CHLHockey Import Draft, the Petes select Czech defender & @TBLightning prospect Dominik Masin (@Masinator27)!

Gotta love his Twitter account name, too.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Masin drafted 21st by Peterbourough in CHL Import Draft:

Peterborough Petes @PetesOHLhockey 3m
With the 21st pick in the '14 @CHLHockey Import Draft, the Petes select Czech defender & @TBLightning prospect Dominik Masin (@Masinator27)!

Gotta love his Twitter account name, too.

BP says it's a great fit. Petes needed a top 4 defenseman like Masin. Hopefully he plays there for a couple of years and then jumps to Syracuse

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods

To be fair, every recent Cup winning team has had a good offensive dman in their roster, and they have been at the discussion of MVP every year:
Chi:Keith
LA: Doughty and Muzzin

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Saw Masin at camp today...really impressive kid. Solid skater and nice wheels...really liked him today at camp.

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
To be fair, every recent Cup winning team has had a good offensive dman in their roster, and they have been at the discussion of MVP every year:
Chi:Keith
LA: Doughty and Muzzin

Chicago also had Campbell in 2010 and Leddy in 2013, LA Voynov in 2012 and 2014 + Martinez this year, too. PIT in 2009 had Gonchar, Letang and Goligoski (albeit Gogo only played two games in the playoffs), DET in 2008 had Lidström, Rafalski, ANA in 2007 had Niedermayer and Hurricanes in 2006 had Tverdovsky (only five games in the playoffs) and Kaberle.

So basically, defensemen that know how to move the puck are pretty much essential to have in a good team, really. Only team after the 04-05 lockout to win the Cup who really didn't have a smooth-skating PMD were the Bruins but they compensated the lack of that with physical shutdown D's with hard slappers, incredible goaltending by Thomas and the forward depth and two-way game of the forwards.

But to the original point, I must agree that I like Masin more than DeAngelo. Looking at our defensive corps and prospects, there are tons of players that know how to move the puck well - Hedman, Carle, Barberio and perhaps Strålman but the three first are clearly the best ones at it, Koekkoek, Nesterov and Sustr in our prospect pool. How many physical shutdown guys with second-pairing upside and some offensive game do we have? Gudas and then maybe McLeod and Thomas but neither of those have similar upside as Masin does. DeAngelo has way more upside than any other guy we drafted, Masin could end up being the most important player for this team, though.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
+ 28 this year on a team a bit better than average while playing big minutes against the other teams elite players. Seems to fly completely under the radar.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
People are sleeping on this guy and they're going to be shocked one day, not unlike when Killorn got called up - does everything well but nothing exceptional, but you need guys like that to win.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
People are sleeping on this guy and they're going to be shocked one day, not unlike when Killorn got called up - does everything well but nothing exceptional, but you need guys like that to win.

You think he can challenge Koekkoek for that 2nd pair LD spot in a few years?

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
You think he can challenge Koekkoek for that 2nd pair LD spot in a few years?

He won't replace Koekkoek. Masin will be an exceptional third pairing defenseman tasked to cover up for DeAngelo's aggressiveness in the offensive zone I bet. Koekkoek has Masin beat as a two way defenseman.

Agility: Koekkoek
Skating: Koekkoek
Physicality / Grit: Masin
Hands: Koekkoek
Gap Control: Masin
Slapper: Koekkoek
Off IQ: Koekkoek
Def IQ: Masin
Hockey IQ: Masin
PP: Koekkoek
PK: Masin
Puck Mover: Koekkoek
Leadership: Even
Size / Strength: Even
Compete: Masin

Looking a couple of years down the line. I believe Koekkoek to be Carle's replacement if we can move Nesterov. Masin to be Garrison's replacement when those contracts are up (too early to tell on Zuhlsdorf (sp?) and read he just got traded). Expect to spend one of our second rounders this year on a LHD at the draft. After Masin there is no real LHD in the system that can become a top 4D in the NHL. On the right we have DeAngelo, Blujus, and Spencer that have that ceiling (but third pairing defenseman most likely). With Thomas, MacLeoud and Dotchin will probably become NHL/AHL tweeners...due mostly to concerns I have with their skating/agility/IQ.

I don't think we have drafted a perfect complimentary #2 for Hedman to play with yet when Stralman moves on after his current contract. I was hoping and expecting probably Drouin's replacement to be that guy ... hopefully a Severson type.

Hedman -
Koekkoek -
Masin - DeAngelo

Looking 5 years down the line. Somewhere I hope Sustr fits into the plans or develops into a real top 4 defenseman same with Blujus ... but not likely. Looks like Yzerman has been trying to plug the long term top 4 RHD spots by drafting quantity hoping to get two of Sustr, Blujus, Dotchin, Thomas, Spencer to fit in as complementary pieces on the top 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00