2014-2015 Rule Changes

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Will the league publicize the fines?

If so, will the embarrassment associated with it serve as a deterrent?

Dreger said they will publish the offenders weekly.

As for being a deterrent, maybe and maybe not. If you're on a long list, maybe you'll fly under the radar but if you're top of the list every week you're bound to be disliked, especially when your coach is losing cash for it.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Don't think I like the change to the tripping rule.
If you play the puck, touch the puck first breaking up the play I don't think the subsequent contact should be penalized.

Guess someone figured out that players touching the puck first, purposefully tripped the other player. Players sprawled out on the ice and possibly without a stick took themselves out of the play so they take out the other player.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I think the diving fines actually have the potential to be somewhat significant once they compile. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd research which team led the league in diving minors last season and how much money that coach and those players would have lost in gross fines by season's end.

From http://scoutingtherefs.com/2014/05/3252/stop-diving-embellishment-embarrassment/

During the lockout-shortened 2012-13 season, there were 33 diving penalties, which works out to about one for every 21 games played. Alternatively, from a team perspective, an average of one per team over the course of the season. In practice, it wasn’t that evenly distributed. The Canadiens led the league with 5 diving calls, followed by the Senators, Coyotes, and Canucks tied at 3 apiece. Twelve teams managed to avoid diving calls altogether.

Shocked, I tell ya. That they actually CALLED the penalties. The data may be "old", but it feels close to what they're calling, overall. What's important isn't the fines...it's the crackdown. Of course, whenever a new rule is added or changed, the refs do like to play with their new toy....so the Habs might start contributing to The players fund a lot more now.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Getting rid of the shootout would be about the only thing that would make me happy at this point, could care less about the spinorama crap and as twillinger said, the puck over the glass call is nauseating as well

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Good changes overall, was hoping they would address the puck over the glass penalty and, above all, make goalie interference reviewable.

Btown

Oct 1, 2011
I read a good remedy for puck over the glass it being a 1 minute penalty may be better for the game.
What do u think?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad