Prospect Info: 2014-2015 Prospect Stats and Discussion | Stauffer: Slepyshev NOT KHL re-signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Bailey is a very good hockey player. I was hoping the Oilers would end up with him. He had a solid year in his draft year but did not put up a lot of points in good part because of his role with the Rangers. But you could see as the season went on that he was starting to really get it going.

I thought he was draft eligible. I guess he is a sabre.

Boozers

Mar 18, 2004
Edmonton
I apologize if this was asked here but anybody worried about the Oilers trying to sign Jackson Houck and Roy by June 1st? I believe if we cant sign them they are UFA's or can go back in the draft.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I apologize if this was asked here but anybody worried about the Oilers trying to sign Jackson Houck and Roy by June 1st? I believe if we cant sign them they are UFA's or can go back in the draft.

A poster earlier in the thread said he had heard something about the Oilers not planning to sign Houck, however shortly after that they signed him to an ATO with OKC(he's put up 1 assist in 5 games with the team). Odds are he'll need a really good showing down there to earn a deal.

Roy has not tracked well since his draft, 50 points in 59 games as a 20 year old in the Q is not very good at all. He'll need a very good showing in the playoffs and Memorial Cup to earn a contract.

Both would go back into the draft if not signed.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
A poster earlier in the thread said he had heard something about the Oilers not planning to sign Houck, however shortly after that they signed him to an ATO with OKC(he's put up 1 assist in 5 games with the team). Odds are he'll need a really good showing down there to earn a deal.

Roy has not tracked well since his draft, 50 points in 59 games as a 20 year old in the Q is not very good at all. He'll need a very good showing in the playoffs and Memorial Cup to earn a contract.

Both would go back into the draft if not signed.

Speaking of Roy, Quebec just finished beating Charlottetown 5-2, eliminating them. Roy had 3 primary assists. After a poor first round vs. Cape Breton where he only went 7-1-1-2, he's been much better by the looks of it vs. Charlottetown, going 4-2-5-7 in a 4 game sweep.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Speaking of Roy, Quebec just finished beating Charlottetown 5-2, eliminating them. Roy had 3 primary assists. After a poor first round vs. Cape Breton where he only went 7-1-1-2, he's been much better by the looks of it vs. Charlottetown, going 4-2-5-7 in a 4 game sweep.

Inconsistency.

oilz89*

i'm a big Darnell Nurse fan. I'm excited for his teams series against McD and Strome. I was listening to his interview today and it seems likely that he's supposed to shut down McDavid.. hopefully lol. So how do you guys think he'll fair?

Cizin

Jun 30, 2013
vem0lh.jpg

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
i'm a big Darnell Nurse fan. I'm excited for his teams series against McD and Strome. I was listening to his interview today and it seems likely that he's supposed to shut down McDavid.. hopefully lol. So how do you guys think he'll fair?

Erie played Soo twice this season. In those games, McDavid had two points(1G, 1A). Nurse also had two points(1G, 1A). So it would appear he can do it.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
No one player can shut down someone like McDavid, you need a team effort to limit his touches out there.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
McDavid is also playing some of the best hockey I have ever seen from him right now. But SSM is a very deep team so it would not be Nurse vs McDavid alone.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd say it more like... he finally showed up. Roy had the reputation of being a good post season player.

Thanks. There is no excuse for him to have had as poor of a season as he did. He may well be playing for an NHL contract right now. I liked what I saw in his first TC here. Decent speed, good playmaker, had some grit to his game. I expected him to be much farther along than he is right now.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Thanks. There is no excuse for him to have had as poor of a season as he did. He may well be playing for an NHL contract right now. I liked what I saw in his first TC here. Decent speed, good playmaker, had some grit to his game. I expected him to be much farther along than he is right now.

Agree on Roy. Looks like a player at camp. Expect him to tear it up in the Q..

And then.. nothing.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I wouldn't bother to sign Roy. Nothing against him, but I don't see any skillset that he brings being needed.

Put it this way, if I had to decide between signing him or Curtis Hamilton, I'd pick Hamilton. While I doubt either have much of an NHL upside, Hamilton you at least know is a big body, that can skate, and play defence. He can play a role that helps the team, a bit like Klinkhammer.

In that sense, as a depth player, what does Roy bring to the table? He's not overly big or fast, ok defencively, but nothing to write home about; and his hockey IQ isn't high (or at least not high enough to make up for his other shortcomings).

He's more or less, the definition of a tweener. In many aspects I think Platzer stole his spot.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I wouldn't bother to sign Roy. Nothing against him, but I don't see any skillset that he brings being needed.

Put it this way, if I had to decide between signing him or Curtis Hamilton, I'd pick Hamilton. While I doubt either have much of an NHL upside, Hamilton you at least know is a big body, that can skate, and play defence. He can play a role that helps the team, a bit like Klinkhammer.

In that sense, as a depth player, what does Roy bring to the table? He's not overly big or fast, ok defencively, but nothing to write home about; and his hockey IQ isn't high (or at least not high enough to make up for his other shortcomings).

He's more or less, the definition of a tweener. In many aspects I think Platzer stole his spot.

I disagree. I'd sign him. The skills were apparent when watching him as he was basically the only one doing anything on the ice for a couple rookie camps. He had a season derailed by injury but I think it's too soon to give up on him.

For comparison, all-star superman blue chip prospect Anthony Duclair also had 2 points in that first series. He's now up to 6 points in 11 games in the playoffs. I don't think Arizona will be hesitating to sign him despite his low scoring numbers these playoffs, and it would be silly to dismiss Roy based on stats alone.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
What I think it comes down to is do the scouts think he can play a bottom six role. He sure isn't going to become a scorer.. maybe a guy that will slide up when injuries hit but if they think he can become an effective bottom sixer, sign him, why not? I'd say not to sign him and sign an nhl vet instead. I think MacT signs too many prospects and not enough nhl players

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Stauffer says as far as he knows, Slepyshev hasn't signed a new KHL deal.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
What would have been the point for that initial Russian news group to falsify his signing? To try and fake out the Oilers brass? Don't they realize that we were going to investigate his signing?

Well, if there was a management group that would have believed a false report coming out of Russia, it would be our group.

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
What would have been the point for that initial Russian news group to falsify his signing? To try and fake out the Oilers brass? Don't they realize that we were going to investigate his signing?

Well, if there was a management group that would have believed a false report coming out of Russia, it would be our group.

Qualifing offer extended to keep his rights and make the oilers pay more to get him

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Qualifing offer extended to keep his rights and make the oilers pay more to get him

Qualifying offer from the Oilers or from his current team? If it's the latter, I am under the impression that they haven't qualified him yet? Do they have to qualify him? I don't understand the KHL rules.

If the former, would we have to qualify him again to maintain his rights, or would we get a push on our qualifier? I again am uninitiated with the NHL/International hockey contract deals. Especially for those who have been drafted but have gone unsigned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad