2014-2015 Manchester Monarchs - 2015 Calder Cup Champions!

TheSentinel

Mar 4, 2013
WhereTheKingsReign
Thank you so much man. It's been such an amazing journey. I know when I'm old, the stories I remember and tell will all be about this team. Seriously amazing group.

I'm sure I'll end up SoCal at some point because I'm a masochist like that.

I'm sure some of us might take you out for tortas:yo:

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Paul Bissonette went from lying on the couch at the start of the year depressed without a NHL or AHL job to winning his first Calder Cup and playing on the 3rd line and suiting up for 11 playoff games.

12 fights, didn't lose one and made guys like McIlrath and Dziurzynski pay for picking on or trying to injure younger or smaller Monarchs.

He also roomed with Kempe. I don't know who set that up but that shows real confidence in Paul.

Lombardi won't let that go unrewarded.

What a good story.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
With the team moving to Ontario, I think it would be a nice gesture to bring Bissonette back on a two-way contract, never hurts to have insurance for whenever the Kings need some extra toughness, especially if they are down a man on the fourth line.

Not only did he serve a role as a leader on the team, but Bissonette actually was a decent player in his junior days and was also originally a defenseman, so you know the guy isn't just another Ryan Flinn whose only contribution to the game is dropping the gloves.

He understand his role and he does it well. Glad to see him enjoy some success in his career on the ice.

Elliot Williams

Oct 6, 2008
New Hampshire
I am heading to the Calder Cup celebration at the Manchester Monarchs arena tomorrow. I will enjoy it immensely. Can't hardly wait.

But I will also harbor ill-feelings about the way the downward transition to ECHL is being handled by the self-protecting, surviving employees and management here of the LA Kings -- i.e., they are behaving and advertising as if nothing has changed. They are pretending the "Monarchs" are back next year, and selling the ECHL team as if nothing has changed.

It's a mockery, and a disgrace, and a bit of a con job. No question but that it is slap in the face of the AHL and to Monarchs' fans like me.

But I am going to put that insult aside, and am looking forward to (leaving work 25 minutes ahead of time, to cheer my heart out for the "real" AHL Manchester Monarchs, whose history ends at the top of the league! Congratulations to our team (and boos to the LA management).

Last edited:

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Valentin Zykov
Adrian Kempe
Derek Forbort
Jordan Weal
Nick Shore
Colin Miller
Alex Lintuniemi
Our 13th pick
Michael Mersch

Jason, would your ranking be somewhat like this especially after the Monarchs individual Playoff performances...??!

That's probably about right. Slot Zykov into the top 5, preferably behind Kempe. They are pretty 1A 1B at this point.

Dowder in right behind Mersch.

Elliot Williams

Oct 6, 2008
New Hampshire
That's probably about right.

I think the moderator should change this thread to the "Ontario Monarchs". Why? Because the Monarchs no longer have any historical ties to their original city. the "Manchester" Monarchs don't exist anymore. So take that as a fact (cheers if you are in California, tears if you are in New Hampshire).

But otherwise this thread is "wrong" for this moment forward, IMO.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
With the team moving to Ontario, I think it would be a nice gesture to bring Bissonette back on a two-way contract, never hurts to have insurance for whenever the Kings need some extra toughness, especially if they are down a man on the fourth line.

Not only did he serve a role as a leader on the team, but Bissonette actually was a decent player in his junior days and was also originally a defenseman, so you know the guy isn't just another Ryan Flinn whose only contribution to the game is dropping the gloves.

He understand his role and he does it well. Glad to see him enjoy some success in his career on the ice.

I heard rumblings of a two way as well. Paul seemed excited about that in the TSN interview but said the money needed to be right.

Wouldn't hurt to do that especially if Nolan or Clifford gets hurt.

Elliot Williams

Oct 6, 2008
New Hampshire
Not Manchester anymore

Time to switch this tread name to the Ontario Monarchs (is that what LA Kings will call them in California? Maybe not since the Manchester, NH, outfit is going to continue to market the franchise (ECHL) as the "Monarchs". Maybe maybe the Ontario Rulers? Or the Ontario Queens (to be up-to-the-minute-West Coast-Grade A-acceptably-PC!! Or perhaps the Ontario Potentate?).

Elliot Williams

Oct 6, 2008
New Hampshire
New name?

Are the Monarchs going to be called the "Ontario Prince" aka "formerly known as Manchester"? Or are they going to keep the ECHL name as the "Ontario Reign"?

Captain Mittens*

That link is "broken" when I try to access it. But, do you mean that the AHL team formerly known as the Manchester Monarchs will be now known as the Ontario Reign?

I don't know why it is doing it, but either add a ) at the end of the URL or click on the "Did you mean: Ontario Reign (AHL)?"

Elliot Williams

Oct 6, 2008
New Hampshire
yes and the AHL team formerly known as the Monarchs will be an ECHL.

Yes! Thanks. I understand that.

I will not be spending my money going to the ECHL "Monarchs" games. We fans and supporters ($$) of the "real" Monarchs have been abandoned (indiscreetly I might add!) by the LA Kings after 14 years.

Our attendance ($$) record is exactly in the middle of the the AHL teams. We had a huge +33%!!! more attendance per game this just passed year than our Calder Cup finalist contender Vancouver (Utica, New York) team.

Here not only do we have the Boston Bruins (where I am a season ticket holder), but also several collegiate hockey teams that can put the ECHL to shame!

Manchester, NH, gave as much or I should say even more than could ever have been predicted to supporting the AHL (Kings) for 14 years. And still, we get our throats cut.

So, what's the lesson?

When the Ontario Monarchs/Reign move some day 10 or 14 years from now, you will sympathize with us (I'll be dead or in an old-age medical care facility). Nothing matters in the AHL. Or in any professional sport. The AHL is dictated to and enslaved by (except for the Hersey team, God bless them) their NHL affiliates.

That is the pathetic truth.

Elliot Williams

Oct 6, 2008
New Hampshire
Yes! Thanks. I understand that.

I will not be spending my money going to the ECHL "Monarchs" games. We fans and supporters ($$) of the "real" Monarchs have been abandoned (indiscreetly I might add!) by the LA Kings after 14 years.

P.S. The name of this thread should be changed from "Manchester Monarchs" since that is no longer correct. This thread should be called "Ontario Reign".

Elliot Williams

Oct 6, 2008
New Hampshire
Oy vey. Come on man. It's the summer.

Sorry, I looked up what you said to me on the Internet and found this:
"“Oy vey†is the ethnically Jewish way to react when you find out how much your son’s root canal will cost, or when you find out that there is a two-hour wait time for a table at the restaurant where you just arrived."

So I don't understand the comment/criticism you are giving me.

Just saying that the "Manchester" Monarchs aren't that anymore.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
"“Oy vey†is the ethnically Jewish way to react when you find out how much your son’s root canal will cost, or when you find out that there is a two-hour wait time for a table at the restaurant where you just arrived."

Your past several posts have been about how angry you are over the evil, deceiving Kings organization which snatched your AHL team away from you and hasn't been pointing out an inferior product of the ECHL.

The thread is about the 14/15 Manchester Monarchs winning the cup. Insisting on changing the name is just passive aggressive.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
"“Oy vey” is the ethnically Jewish way to react when you find out how much your son’s root canal will cost, or when you find out that there is a two-hour wait time for a table at the restaurant where you just arrived."

2014-2015 AHL Manchester Monarchs are champions. That's the thread title, not the 2015-2016 anythings. No more hijacking.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
P.S. The name of this thread should be changed from "Manchester Monarchs" since that is no longer correct. This thread should be called "Ontario Reign".

Actually you are wrong, July 1st is the end of the current season for both the ECHL and AHL. The franchise swap doesn't occur until then. There is still some ECHL housekeeping that will be done under the Ontario Reign name. If I remember right the ECHL Qualifying Offers for next year are issued as the final step of the season. Thus, the players will receive offers that say Ontario Reign on them.

So if we are getting technical, July 1st is when a thread swapping the names should happen.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
I don't mean to boast. But when I calculated it up. I shocked myself. :laugh:

Last April I was on plane to LA when I got the news that the Manchester Monarchs would be relocating to Ontario at the end of the upcoming season. I decided that instead of crying over the team moving. I would enjoy the last season as much as possible. Go to as many games as I could. The season ended up being magical. They won every possible award they could win. The season ended with me celebrating their Calder Cup victory. From early November to mid June. I spent a lot time on the road traveling to and from Monarchs games. How much you ask?

5,329 miles. 5,329 miles in 8 months. It was worth every mile.

And the final moment was me congratulating every single member of the team with fist bumps, handshakes, and hugs.

What a ****ing year, boys!

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
Elliot, It's marketing. What do you expect them to pitch? "Hey, would you like to purchase our product that not as nice as the one your enjoying right now?" They're trying to sell you something. And they always been trying to sell you a product for past 14 years. It's a business.

The Kings have handle this pretty damn well for Manchester. They could have left they city empty handed. As the Sharks did to Worcester.

The AHL is changing. It's no longer gonna be east coast league. There isn't gonna be 6 or 7 team in New England anymore. The AHL is trying to get every team in it's league as close as possible to it's NHL affiliate. And it's not just to benefit the NHL team. It's benefits them. There is a HUGE marketing opportunity to be had. Instead of trying to sell a product that has the LA Kings logo slapped all over it to a bunch Bruins fans in New Hampshire. They now can sell the same product to LA Kings fans themselves. A much easier sell!

The Ontario Reign are expected to be a huge success! It's anticipated that they will lead the league in attendance next season, even above the Hershey Bears. (The team already had the 2nd highest attendance in all of minor league hockey as an ECHL team)

This won't be the final set of moves either. The Coyotes and Avalanche have already expressed interest in moving their AHL clubs to Colorado Springs and Tuscon. The Montreal Canadians are incapacitated to move the St. John's IceCaps to near by Laval as soon as the 2016-17 season. The Bridgeport Sound Tigers are rumored to be interested in moving to the Islanders old home in Uniondale. The Hartford Wolf Pack want to then move to Bridgeport. The league is changing ,and for the better in my opinion. There's a huge opportunity to lift the league up to new heights. To change how NHL fans view their AHL club. And I think it's going to be a success.

hockeynutz

Mar 17, 2004
I remember on their first run to the East Final a bunch of us met the team at the arena at like 2 am after they beat Worcester. Would of loved to have been there with you guys. Just didn't get any info on when they were getting in.
I am going to try and be there Tuesday.

I likely know you by sight (at the very least). I was at the arena that night at 2 am, and played in or watched most of the booster club street hockey games.

hope you can get here tonight - i'd like to think there's going to be a decent turnout for the final hurrah, but nowhere near 9000 people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->