Line Combos: 2014-2015 Lineup

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I'd base my top 3 forward lines on duos who are going to stay together the majority of the time. For us that's:

Ladd-Little
Kane-Scheifele

We don't have a third duo yet. Perreault would be one half of it, Galiardi, Tangradi and O'Dell would be the guys in contention. The RW's would be the guys who move up or down most of the time when the lines are juggled.

I think we'll open with something like this:

Ladd-Little-Frolik
Kane-Scheifele-Wheeler
O'Dell-Perreault-Byfuglien
Galiardi-Slater-Thorburn

Peluso, Tangradi

Enstrom-Bogosian
Stuart-Trouba
Clitsome-Postma
Pardy

Personally, I'd move Byfuglien back to the blueline. He's going to bring way more to the team playing there all the time than he's able to bring as a forward 5 on 5. I'd also keep Klingberg over Thorburn or Peluso.

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
Personally, I'd move Byfuglien back to the blueline. He's going to bring way more to the team playing there all the time than he's able to bring as a forward 5 on 5. I'd also keep Klingberg over Thorburn or Peluso.

I agree, only issue is then I think we would have to make a move for another forward.

As it stands, We're already looking at one of O'Dell, Galliardi, or Tangradi playing on the third line.. (Which isn't terrible). Take Buff away and now two of those guys are playing in the top 9.

I think Buff is more effective overall as a Dman. But he is also a serviceable forward. To me, our forward group starts to look thin if you take Buff out of the mix. Our D group still looks okay without him though, in my eyes anyway.

Another effective top 9 player added, and moving Buff to D makes us a much better team. I just don't see how we acquire one without moving our high regarded prospects or higher picks.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The problem with Buff on D is that there is no getting around the systemic challenge that either Trouba or Bogo would have to play bottom pair. None of these guys are suited to the left D position.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
I'd base my top 3 forward lines on duos who are going to stay together the majority of the time. For us that's:

Ladd-Little
Kane-Scheifele

We don't have a third duo yet. Perreault would be one half of it, Galiardi, Tangradi and O'Dell would be the guys in contention. The RW's would be the guys who move up or down most of the time when the lines are juggled.

Ladd-Little-Frolik
Kane-Scheifele-Wheeler
Galiardi-Slater-Thorburn

Peluso, Tangradi

Enstrom-Bogosian
Stuart-Trouba
Clitsome-Postma
Pardy

Ellerby over Pardy? Also, I think Cormier is a much better option over Peluso IMO

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
The problem with Buff on D is that there is no getting around the systemic challenge that either Trouba or Bogo would have to play bottom pair. None of these guys are suited to the left D position.

Byfuglien could play bottom pair with Clitsome 5 on 5. He'll get a bunch of extra minutes on the PP, 4 on 4 and if we're trailing. That'll put him around 20 mins per game, probably an ideal situation to keep him relatively fresh through 82 games.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I agree, only issue is then I think we would have to make a move for another forward.

As it stands, We're already looking at one of O'Dell, Galliardi, or Tangradi playing on the third line.. (Which isn't terrible). Take Buff away and now two of those guys are playing in the top 9.

I think Buff is more effective overall as a Dman. But he is also a serviceable forward. To me, our forward group starts to look thin if you take Buff out of the mix. Our D group still looks okay without him though, in my eyes anyway.

Another effective top 9 player added, and moving Buff to D makes us a much better team. I just don't see how we acquire one without moving our high regarded prospects or higher picks.

Conversely, we have Stuart-Clitsome-Postma as our 4-5-6 D vs having Buff-Stuart-Clitsome in those slots.

IMO Byfuglien's talent is completely wasted as he glides up and down the wing chasing the puck, he needs to control the play to be effective. I'd take the trade off of Galiardi or Tangradi playing 3rd line minutes to get Byfuglien on the blueline.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Here's another thought...

Kane-Little-Frolik
Ladd-Scheif-Wheeler
Buff-Perreault-O'Dell
Etc.

I wouldn't mind seeing Kane moving up with Little and having Ladd playing with Scheifele or Perreault a fair bit.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Byfuglien could play bottom pair with Clitsome 5 on 5. He'll get a bunch of extra minutes on the PP, 4 on 4 and if we're trailing. That'll put him around 20 mins per game, probably an ideal situation to keep him relatively fresh through 82 games.

What makes you think Clitsome plays bottom pair? I see that here all the time with no explanation. He was playing 2nd pair last year until he was injured. It was only then that Stu started playing 2nd pair I'm pretty sure.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
What makes you think Clitsome plays bottom pair? I see that here all the time with no explanation. He was playing 2nd pair last year until he was injured. It was only then that Stu started playing 2nd pair I'm pretty sure.

Because Maurice really liked Stuart-Trouba.

Clitsome and Byfuglien played well together before too. It's semantics anyways, I suspect if Byfuglien ends up on D, he will play similar minutes to Enstrom, Bogosian and Trouba, while Stuart and Clitsome will end up playing similar minutes. If Byfuglien doesn't play defense, one of Stuart or Clitsome will end up playing top 4 minutes over a long period, something they haven't really done.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Because Maurice really liked Stuart-Trouba.

Clitsome and Byfuglien played well together before too. It's semantics anyways, I suspect if Byfuglien ends up on D, he will play similar minutes to Enstrom, Bogosian and Trouba, while Stuart and Clitsome will end up playing similar minutes. If Byfuglien doesn't play defense, one of Stuart or Clitsome will end up playing top 4 minutes over a long period, something they haven't really done.

He liked Pardy and Ellerby playing 3rd pair together too, said so several times. Maurice is very positive. He likes everything. He's really never seen Clitsome play.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I think we start with:

Ladd/Little/Fro
Buff/Scheif/Wheels
Kane/Perreault/Galiardi
Tanger/Slater/Peluso

Thorbs/Hali

Enstrom/Bogo
Stu/Troubs
Pardy/Ellerby

Clitsome/Postma

Pavs/Hutch

Don't see many changes to the line up, tbh. With injuries, guys like Lowry, O'Dell, Lipon, Klingberg, Chairot or Kossy will see some action. Nothing earth shattering.

Guys like Ehlers, Morrissey and Petan play another year in Jr. Morrissey is the only wildcard for me. He might make it, but likely as a 15 min 3rd pairing guy, as a rookie. So he would make Clitsome or Ellerby expendable.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think we start with:

Ladd/Little/Fro
Buff/Scheif/Wheels
Kane/Perreault/Galiardi
Tanger/Slater/Peluso

Thorbs/Hali

Enstrom/Bogo
Stu/Troubs
Pardy/Ellerby

Clitsome/Postma

Pavs/Hutch

Don't see many changes to the line up, tbh. With injuries, guys like Lowry, O'Dell, Lipon, Klingberg, Chairot or Kossy will see some action. Nothing earth shattering.

Guys like Ehlers, Morrissey and Petan play another year in Jr. Morrissey is the only wildcard for me. He might make it, but likely as a 15 min 3rd pairing guy, as a rookie. So he would make Clitsome or Ellerby expendable.

You really don't like Clitsome do you! He plays ahead of Stu no matter how many shots Stu blocks. Now you've got him behind Pardy too.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
You really don't like Clitsome do you! He plays ahead of Stu no matter how many shots Stu blocks. Now you've got him behind Pardy too.

Hahaha.

I'm not a Clitsome hater. Just thinking he may not be 100% (health wise) to start the season, and will ease into the lineup. I also think Morrissey will take his spot at some point.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hahaha.

I'm not a Clitsome hater. Just thinking he may not be 100% (health wise) to start the season, and will ease into the lineup. I also think Morrissey will take his spot at some point.

He's had lots of time to recover. He may not be 100% but I'm assuming he is until shown otherwise. When Morrissey takes his spot everybody slides down. It is Stu who falls off first, that is still assuming Clitsome is fully recovered.

I'm cautiously optimistic that Morrissey makes it this year. He would play 3rd line minutes (or less) at first but they won't keep him to warm the bench. I see about 5-6 minutes/gm for 9 games then either a regular 3rd pair or back to junior. If he stays he is playing 2nd pair by January according to my crystal ball.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Ladd-Little
Kane-Scheifele

Ladd-Little-Frolik
Kane-Scheifele-Wheeler
Galiardi-Slater-Thorburn

Peluso, Tangradi

Enstrom-Bogosian
Stuart-Trouba
Clitsome-Postma
Pardy

I think you are right about Little-Ladd, I think Kane-Scheif showed some promise, but I reallly like Scheif and Wheeler, and then Perrault-Kane, the interchangeable players are Frolik, Byfuglien, O'Dell/Kosmachuk, etc...

I have to disagree about Buff on defense. I thought our overall defensive game improved once he was made a forward...The way he skates and pivots makes me apprehensive about his defensive coverage...I think he is an unstoppable force as a forward, and capable of 30 goals at the position, whereas he is more capable of -30 as a risk taking defenseman...

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I like that the GST line is poised for a renaissance upon most poster's projections...proving that Manitobans sure do like taxes, however curiously Peluso, and the PST line seem less popular, and there is no suggestion of Halischuck creating an HST.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I like that the GST line is poised for a renaissance upon most poster's projections...proving that Manitobans sure do like taxes, however curiously Peluso, and the PST line seem less popular, and there is no suggestion of Halischuck creating an HST.

:):)

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think we start with:

Ladd/Little/Fro
Buff/Scheif/Wheels
Kane/Perreault/Galiardi
Tanger/Slater/Peluso

Thorbs/Hali

Enstrom/Bogo
Stu/Troubs
Pardy/Ellerby

Clitsome/Postma

Pavs/Hutch

That's a pretty good guess on the lineup. If they aren't going to move Buff I'd like to see him with Scheifele and Wheeler. IMO that's our best chance for a high scoring line as long as Scheif keeps progressing. I'm also not counting Morrissey out. I have a feeling he will push his way in like Trouba did last season. IMO we have lots of expendable guys on 2-ways but I doubt any of them get claimed on their way back to the Rock.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I think you are right about Little-Ladd, I think Kane-Scheif showed some promise, but I reallly like Scheif and Wheeler, and then Perrault-Kane, the interchangeable players are Frolik, Byfuglien, O'Dell/Kosmachuk, etc...

I have to disagree about Buff on defense. I thought our overall defensive game improved once he was made a forward...The way he skates and pivots makes me apprehensive about his defensive coverage...I think he is an unstoppable force as a forward, and capable of 30 goals at the position, whereas he is more capable of -30 as a risk taking defenseman...

If Buff plays forward all season I'd be surprised if he scores 10 goals while playing forward, not including when he plays D on the PP or 4 on 4. He's just not as good playing without the puck. If we get a guy like Patrick Kane, he might be useful riding shotgun with a guy like that.

Jetsfan4life

Dec 15, 2013
Usa

I don't know why people don't like Stuart.This is just my opinion but I would put Stuart ahead of Clitsome.Clitsome is good but Stuart has the size and he blocks a lot of shots.I like the fact that he can also drop the mits and stick up for someone.I like the way Stuart plays with an edge to his game.I do like Clitsome though just rather have Stuart if it's my decision.

Jetsfan4life

Dec 15, 2013
Usa
If Buff plays forward all season I'd be surprised if he scores 10 goals while playing forward, not including when he plays D on the PP or 4 on 4. He's just not as good playing without the puck. If we get a guy like Patrick Kane, he might be useful riding shotgun with a guy like that.

Don't know why we have so many Buff haters on here.Buff will probably get another 20 goals this season just like the last.I do not want to trade Buff I like him as a forward.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I posted this in another thread, but it fits here too.

I like the idea of playing Kane with Little and moving Ladd to another line to shake things up a bit.

Kane-Little-Frolik
Ladd-Scheif-Wheeler
Galiardi-Perreault-Buff
Tangradi-Slater-O'Dell

I wouldn't mind seeing some shifting between Ladd, Galiardi and Buff with Scheif and Perreault at centre.

On D, I like the following:

Enstrom-Bogo
Clitsome-Trouba
Stuart-Postma

I also wouldn't mind seeing Trouba with Pardy for a bit on the second pairing. I think Trouba might still benefit from playing with another big and somewhat physical player until he fills out physically.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Don't know why we have so many Buff haters on here.Buff will probably get another 20 goals this season just like the last.I do not want to trade Buff I like him as a forward.

Don't hate Buff. He's a good D with unique skills, average forward with a lot of size. Either spot he struggles when he doesn't have the puck. When he plays D, he has the puck a lot more and can be an impactful player, as a forward he's a relatively average player.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011

I think if anyone could switch sides it would be trouba

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad