Injury Report: 2014-2015 Injury Thread Part II

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Can people enlighten me a bit with these shoulder surgeries.

Obviously, just using my own interpretation, he should be able to increase his lower-body mass and stability that way.
How much of the shoulder surgery recovery time is to bring strength back to the shoulder/upper-body?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It really depends on what the injury actually is. I've been around people who got surgery and started working out normally in ~2 months (a lot longer to get back full strength though). Some took twice as long. He should be able to lift and workout far sooner than the 6 months.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs haven't had much luck with injuries this year. So many players being gone for several months.

Everberg next season:

3041763-inline-i-1-settle-it-skittles.gif

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
yeah depends on the injury.

with labrum tears, one can start working out with weights 2 months after operation. obviously with light weights and the shoulder is still weak. mobility and strength should be close to normal in 4-5 months with smart rehab. 6 months is around the time full contact can be taken. he could shoot the puck in 4-5 months and start skating in couple of months.. just can't fall down. can take up to a year it's 100%. mobility and strength might never come back 100% though, in certain positions. not as big issue with younger guys.

recovery can be faster with some assistance that pro athletes may or may not use..

with rotator cuffs it can take longer as the arm tends to be more restricted right after the surgery. more strength and mobility loss.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
This may be a blessing in disguise. I hate that he's injured, but get him the surgery he needs now, allow him proper time to recover, and let him spend the entire season in the AHL when he's fully healthy and crack the whip down on Deano, force him to play Everberg and Rendulic 1st/2nd line minutes and top PP time. Let both guys come back from their injuries better than they were before their injuries

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Terrible news. So there's a chance he won't even be ready to start next season? Crap.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
This may be a blessing in disguise. I hate that he's injured, but get him the surgery he needs now, allow him proper time to recover, and let him spend the entire season in the AHL when he's fully healthy and crack the whip down on Deano, force him to play Everberg and Rendulic 1st/2nd line minutes and top PP time. Let both guys come back from their injuries better than they were before their injuries

I'm personally hoping that Chynoweth is gone, I am just not sure he's the right one to lead our prospects down there.

I wonder if Eakins would accept a move back to the AHL, give him a chance to "rebuild his stock" so to speak. The guy did pretty well with the Marlies, if I remember correctly.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Never thought of that but yah for sure. I just dont trust the [mod] thats coaching these guys in the A

Last edited by a moderator:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I didn't think Everberg would go down next year but to get him up to speed again yeah that will probably happen. I'd love to get a new coach in LE but until it happens I just don't want to assume change will be made. Dean doesn't like Rendulic so top minutes is never going to happen. The word comes on down on some players (it's pretty obvious when it does) but the Avs don't dictate everything all the time.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I didn't think Everberg would go down next year but to get him up to speed again yeah that will probably happen. I'd love to get a new coach in LE but until it happens I just don't want to assume change will be made. Dean doesn't like Rendulic so top minutes is never going to happen. The word comes on down on some players (it's pretty obvious when it does) but the Avs don't dictate everything all the time.

They should dictate things, otherwise there's no reason to have a farm team in the first place. If it's going to be a place where you develop your prospects, the head coach down there better be doing everything that Roy/Sakic want him to do, or else he should be canned.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm personally hoping that Chynoweth is gone, I am just not sure he's the right one to lead our prospects down there.

I wonder if Eakins would accept a move back to the AHL, give him a chance to "rebuild his stock" so to speak. The guy did pretty well with the Marlies, if I remember correctly.

I would fear for the lives of our prospects if Dallas Eakins ever got a hold of them. He's without a doubt one of the worst coaches in hockey history if you ask me. Guy doesn't have a clue how to handle players, thinks it's his way or the highway, puts the heaviest emphasis on corsi, and just doesn't know what he's doing.

Would cringe if he was hired as a coach for this team

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I would fear for the lives of our prospects if Dallas Eakins ever got a hold of them. He's without a doubt one of the worst coaches in hockey history if you ask me. Guy doesn't have a clue how to handle players, thinks it's his way or the highway, puts the heaviest emphasis on corsi, and just doesn't know what he's doing.

eakins is bad but there have been way, way worse coaches in hockey history. at least eakins had some success in AHL and wasn't run out of town immediately.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

I'll still contend that he was put into a gong-show s**t situation in Edmonton. Too many stories of the really young players (Hall mainly) being "given the keys to the kingdom" too soon. We've all seen how Hall cherry-picks.

Eakins was wanting full efforts/games being played by all his players...hard to fault him for that. Now, did he handle it well? No, no one can say otherwise. But he DID have success coaching younger players, so I think he has the tools, but again, he was basically put in a no-win situation in Edmonton.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
They should dictate things, otherwise there's no reason to have a farm team in the first place. If it's going to be a place where you develop your prospects, the head coach down there better be doing everything that Roy/Sakic want him to do, or else he should be canned.

They are not there to be a puppet, they have a certain level of autonomy as it's still their team that they are coaching day in and day out that the players have to respect and buy into. I'm not defending Dean, a guy with a better reputation and talent level is probably going to demand even more of a level of daily control. On a high level Sakic and Roy (and Billington) should set general standards but the coaches have to coach.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
You guys are talking about Eakins like there's even a 1% chance him and his wife would consider moving to Cleveland to coach in the AHL. Apparently it was hard enough convincing his family to come to Edmonton (don't blame them) and that was on an excellent NHL salary.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I wouldn't mind Claude Noel. I think he's won a championship at the AHL level and he helped Geertsen get better. He wants to coach pro again but if he can't find something in the NHL then perhaps. Or there's junior coaches that are successful and are looking to move up. There should be a lot of options if they want to go there.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
You guys are talking about Eakins like there's even a 1% chance him and his wife would consider moving to Cleveland to coach in the AHL. Apparently it was hard enough convincing his family to come to Edmonton (don't blame them) and that was on an excellent NHL salary.

I think I disliked Eakins more after seeing his wife :laugh:. Total hotty with that crow face Dallas. Eakins was an arrogant ass of a coach. Acted like he had 5 rings or something. Hope the Oilers let Nelson go and we can get him to help out our PP.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I feel I hijacked this thread, for that you guys have my apologies.

Let's re-focus this talk on Injuries from here on out.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'll still contend that he was put into a gong-show s**t situation in Edmonton. Too many stories of the really young players (Hall mainly) being "given the keys to the kingdom" too soon. We've all seen how Hall cherry-picks.

Eakins was wanting full efforts/games being played by all his players...hard to fault him for that. Now, did he handle it well? No, no one can say otherwise. But he DID have success coaching younger players, so I think he has the tools, but again, he was basically put in a no-win situation in Edmonton.

I won't disagree that he was put in a bad situation, but watching the Oilers during the lockout shortened season under Krueger, then enduring a year and a half of Eakins, and now watching them under Todd Nelson, it's clear to me that Eakins was problem #1, even more so than the make up of the roster. Nelson has somehow managed to turn Anton Lander into a solid NHL player, something Eakins couldn't do. Eakins told Craig MacTavish at the start of the year that he did not want Derek Roy on his team, yet look at what he's done for Yakupov's game, the chemistry those two have is great and Roy is a solid stop-gap option until Draisaitl is ready for full-time 2nd line duty.

He made a mockery of Jeff Petry, continually embarrassing him and even healthy-scratching him. He force-fed Justin Schultz minutes. He implemented a swarm defensive strategy that had every single Oiler confused. One could argue that every single player on the Oilers regressed under Eakins. Just look at the turnaround players like Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle, Pouliot, and Yakupov have had since Eakins left. I'd cry if that guy was anywhere near our prospects lol.

EDIT: Just saw RL's post, back to injuries lol

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
Brad Stuart's leg was cut and that is why he left the game yesterday. He will not play against Chicago and supposedly that drops us below the minimum players dressed (I don't know much on this rule) for the game tomorrow. A callup or injured guy will have to play. Hoping Siemens get the call.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
All the injury updates are here:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/201...n-mackinnon-and-others-meet-with-media/21212/

In short:

EJ: close now, 100% for next season
MacK: just started skating, will be 100%
McGinn: had a recent setback but still expected 100%
Bordy: lost strength in his leg but think he'll be back
Winchester: symptoms have returned :(

Do to know if chambers is just pulling from this air but he says Wilson, Briere and Hejda not expected to be resigned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad