Line Combos: 2014-2015 Habs defense

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
When Therrien put Markov and Subban together they were soo great together, but the issue he split them up was because the second pair with Gorges and Emelin couldn't move the puck, he said he wanted a puck mover on each pair.

With Gilbert in, who is a puck mover, but is soft, Emelin is going to be his partner, a Markov-Gilbert pair is just too soft.

So look for to atleast start the year..

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Gilbert
Beaulieu/Tinordi-Weaver

This. Markov and Subban can create an elite pairing now that there will be some puck movement on the 2nd pair.

On top of that it's good to have a defenseman who keep forwards honest as they enter the defensive zone. PK will do that on the first pair, emelin will do that on the 2nd pair, and Weaver and/or Tinordi will do that on the 3rd pair

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
More importantly, why couldn't you have just assessed his point and carried the conversation instead of derailing what he wanted to talk about to point out a minute detail?

Oh sorry thread officer.

His post annoyed me and I have gave my point of view about it... Just like EXACTLY what you did with mine. So please...

Forlando

Nov 14, 2007
I'd go with:

Markov (6',0") - Emelin (6',2")

FYI, I believe this is wrong...Emelin will not play right side, under normal circumstances...that was the whole point of the Gorges deal.

Markov -Subban
Emelin -Gilbert
Beaulieu- Weaver/Tinordi

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
yes that is true the whole point of trading Josh Gorges is to move Alex Emelin to the left side. Management chose Emelin over Gorges because Emelin is physically better and is actually the better player. Gorges played on his left side most of the year with Subban while Emelin played on the right side with Markov. Gorges only has the shot blocking thing going for him. he's got no offensive skills, no shot misses the net all the time, dump in corners in the offensive zone, on the defensive side dumps the puck out and isn't a puck moving defenseman, that's a dime a dozen in the league. I think Tom Gilbert is better than Gorges minus shot blocking. Gilbert is a smooth skater and was a #1 defenseman back a few years ago with Edmonton with 40+ points. Got a big contract $4.5 mil than disappeared.

I'm a lefty and played defense, its alot easier to play on the left side than on the right side on the defensive zone. there's a trade off, on the offensive zone you can't really do a one timer on the left side.

As for Beaulieu and Tinordi, I think they will rotate this season, Tinordi is being groom by Mike Weaver.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
MT's secret plan

Gilbert - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Weaver - Pateryn

A D playing on his wrong side on all pairing!

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
More importantly, why couldn't you have just assessed his point and carried the conversation instead of derailing what he wanted to talk about to point out a minute detail?

You have to admit it's ****ing weird that a guy cannot spell a simple name after 8 years, It's really ****ing weird.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Seems we all agree the best pairings will be something like:

Markov - Subban
Emelin - Gilbert
Beaulieu/Tinordi - Weaver/Pateryn

So MT will probably do something totally different. ;)

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I'd go with:

Beaulieu (6-2) - Subban (6-0)
Markov (6',0") - Emelin (6-2)
Tinordi (6',6") - Gilbert (6',2") \Weaver (5',10")\surprise

That is probably what we're looking at, I agree. Maybe this tho:
Emelin (6-2) - Subban (6-0)
Markov (6-0) - Tinordi (6-6)----> Take advantage of Markov's experience to develop Tinordi
Beaulieu (6-2) - Gilbert (6-2)/Weaver (5-10)

Or if Eklund's right :) ...

Emelin - Subban
Markov - Letang
Tinordi - Gilbert/Weaver

Last edited:

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
Like others have said

Markov - Subban
Emelin - Gilbert
Beaulieu - Weaver
Tinordi - Pateryn (first callups)

Forlando

Nov 14, 2007
People suggesting Gilbert will play third pair, should really start watching some Hockey. It shows that you don’t know players outside the Habs.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
The pairings on D will all depend on how long sub ban signs for ;)

A one-yr deal will get him the worst offensively tooled D-partner possible.

A multi, multi-year deal will land him Markov, to help justify the hefty price tag :)

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
i hope tinordi arrives at camp ready to claim a full time spot... if he does, I'd see him slotting in next to Subban (If PK can make Gill/Bouillion look effective, imagine what he could do with a big guy who can actually skate).

i expect it will be:

Markov - Subban
Emelin - Gilbert
Beaulieu - Weaver
Tinordi

I hope it will be:

Tinordi - Subban
Markov - Gilbert
Emelie - Weaver
Beaulieu

don't think a Beaulieu/Subban pairing would be very effective... both players are at their best when skating and pushing the attack... which also opens up mistakes. With a coach like MT running the show, much better for everyone that they both get paired with players more focused on playing a supportive role/covering for mistakes).

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
There won't be a rookie on the first pairing at the beginning of the year. Maaayyybe by the end of the year if one of Beaulieu/Tinordi really plays like he deserves it.

Also, yes it might sound stupid, but Subban signing his long term contract might have an effect, who knows. When Desharnais signed his extension, he was given all the chances to succeed. Similar story with Emelin, who was never really in the doghouse even though his play was 'meh' for quite some time when he came back.

Who knows, maybe Therrien looks at the salary/term and thinks that it shows how the guys should be used?? :laugh:

With that being said, it's the same for me:

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Gilbert
Beaulieu/Tinordi - Weaver

Not bad. Could be better, but I like it. You've got puck movement, mobility and physicality on all pairings.

NewfoundlandHab

Jul 14, 2014
Why are people still penciling Emelin in on the right side?

It was a disaster last season and MB specifically said that the Gorges trade and Gilbert signing were so the Emelin could get back to the left.

Like most people said:

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Gilbert
Beaulieu/Tinordi-Weaver

Beaulieu and Tinordi likely rotate in and out of the pressbox depending on who's hot, who we're playing, etc. Maybe Weaver take a seat every now and then as well.

The only way i could see this changing is if Emelin has an incredibly poor camp, while Beau/Tin has a great one.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I'm expecting big things from Emelin this year, the best he's looked in the NHL was with Diaz who was a mobile defenceman and it allowed Emelin to play on his left side. Also, having a full summer and training camp to get ready will be huge for him.

The top four should likely basically be a lock:

Markov - Subban
Emelin - Gilbert

The last two spots should be interesting, right now the best bet would be Beaulieu (maybe Tinordi) - Weaver, but it should be interesting to see how Nygren looks in pre-season and if he'll actually get a chance to play over Weaver if he has an excellent camp.

NewfoundlandHab

Jul 14, 2014
I'm expecting big things from Emelin this year, the best he's looked in the NHL was with Diaz who was a mobile defenceman and it allowed Emelin to play on his left side. Also, having a full summer and training camp to get ready will be huge for him.

Markov - Subban
Emelin - Gilbert

The last two spots should be interesting, right now the best bet would be Beaulieu (maybe Tinordi) - Weaver, but it should be interesting to see how Nygren looks in pre-season and if he'll actually get a chance to play over Weaver if he has an excellent camp.

We're in an interesting spot with Nygren. He's got a 2 year contract so, since he either wants NHL or Europe, it could be now or never with him and the Habs.

We could do what we did with Emelin when he came over and make him the number 7 dman out of camp and hope that he can solidify his role in the lineup throughout the season. Or we send him back to Europe, qualify him in the off season, keep his rights and hope we can make room.

Pateryn's two year deal is two-way this coming season, but becomes 1 way the following season. Therefore, the plan is likely for him to come in and replace Weaver after his contract expires. This doesn't leave much room for a guy like Nygren.

Will be interesting to see what happens with him.

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Markov-Subban
Emelin- Gilbert
Beaulieu-Weaver
Tinordi-Nygren
Pateryn-Drewiske

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

Markov - Subban
Emelin - Gilbert

I think any lineup that includes playing markov top pairing minutes again shouldn't be looked at with any less than a cocked eyebrow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->