Line Combos: 2014-2015 Habs defense

Nynja*

Presuming Subban gets signed (because he will), we have Subban, Markov, Georges, Emelin, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Nygren.

1- Subban - ???
2- Markov - Georges
3- Emelin - Beaulieu
Tinordi/Ngyren

Markov has the skillset to play top D, but he doesnt have the legs anymore, this isnt an insult to his injuries, but more so his age. However, barring certain situations (PP, down by a goal late), I would put Markov out there with Subban. I dont feel Georges has the skillset, neither does Emelin. So were left with a hole on top D.

Lions999

Jun 28, 2011
Markov Gorges...Gorges can play opposite side he did 2 yrs with Gill.
Subban Tinordi
Emelin Weaver
Beaulieu

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I think this is pretty much set:

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin

Then let Beaulieu, Tinordi, Pateryn, Nygren fight it out for spots #5-7. Last place gets sent back to AHL (or overseas if Nygren).

This quartet of prospects has had some time to gain experience and its time to show them an opportunity and have them fight it out. I know it can seem like a risk to run with so many young players on the back end, but worst comes to worst we can grab a bottom-pairing/depth guy off waivers after training camp if most of these guys flop.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I think this is pretty much set:

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin

Then let Beaulieu, Tinordi, Pateryn, Nygren fight it out for spots #5-7. Last place gets sent back to AHL (or overseas if Nygren).

This quartet of prospects has had some time to gain experience and its time to show them an opportunity and have them fight it out. I know it can seem like a risk to run with so many young players on the back end, but worst comes to worst we can grab a bottom-pairing/depth guy off waivers after training camp if most of these guys flop.

I see it like this too. I believe that Beaulieu, and one of Nygren and Tinordi, is equal to the task.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Three rookies on D is not a problem if each is paired with a vet imho. Tinordi Beaulieu and Pateryn need to play in the NHL. Old small journeymen like Cube and Weaver gtfo, time to invest in our future should have been done already but MT...

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
Three rookies on D is not a problem if each is paired with a vet imho. Tinordi Beaulieu and Pateryn need to play in the NHL. Old small journeymen like Cube and Weaver gtfo, time to invest in our future should have been done already but MT...

Who do we call up when someone gets injured? I think Beaulieu should make the team, leave another spot for one of Tinordi, Nygren or Pateryn. Those who don't make the cut are going to get called up for 20-30 games for sure during the season. There are always injuries.

Markov-Emelin
Beaulieu-Subban
Tinordi/Nygren/Pateryn-Gorges

I think thats a decent lineup. Especially if Beaulieu has a good season and if Emelin bounces back.

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
Our D is dysfunctional.

It's not that we don't have good assets. The pairings just don't work.

I would use Emelin as trade bait. We need a Top4 veteran RHD.

Gorges/Markov - Subban
Gorges/Markov - Mr.X
Beaulieu - Mr.Y (Weaver would be just fine)
Tinordi - Pateryn

You let Beaulieu/Tinordi/Pateryn take turns and season with a solid veteran.

Nynja*

Tinordi-Subban
Markov-Gudbranson
Gorges/Emelin-Pateryn

If we finished at the bottom of the standings last season, I would advocate this. However we didnt, we cracked 100 points, and we got to the ECF. This season isnt the season to "give all of the ice time to the rookies".

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Markov-Subban
Emelin-Beaulieu
Tinordi-Boyle

Boyle would give Subban a break on the 2nd PP unit. Moving Gorges also allows Emelin to play on the left side, where he is much more useful.

KingRoy33

Sep 7, 2010
Habs have interest in Robidas, can see them signing him and Weaver to 1 yr deals, max 2 yrs deals

Subban - Markov
Emelin - Robidas
Bealieu - Tinordi
Weaver

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
If we finished at the bottom of the standings last season, I would advocate this. However we didnt, we cracked 100 points, and we got to the ECF. This season isnt the season to "give all of the ice time to the rookies".

What?

There's only 2 rookies in that lineup and you can be sure that 2 of Beaulieu, Tinordi and Pateryn will make the team in October

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
What?

There's only 2 rookies in that lineup and you can be sure that 2 of Beaulieu, Tinordi and Pateryn will make the team in October

Lets not forget Nygren who while not a vet is older. Let's also not forget about the caps influence on the lineup. MB has 17.5 for 5 players, one of whom is PK (I'm guessing 8.25). No decent GM is going to be right at the cap to start so he's like to give himself 5 million space (to use his words, backup plan). That doesn't leave much for 4 roster spots left to fill. Moving Gorges 3.9 and replacing it with a rookie or RFA under a million would help. He needs to get 2nd line forward. I think 3 of these 4 will be here to start the year:

Bealieu
Nygren
Pateryn
Tinordi

Emelin PK
Markov Nygren/Beaulieu
Beaulieu/Tinordi Pateryn

Keeping Emelin over Gorges make sense because Emelin can play the R side in a pinch.

It'll be a wild ride, but financially it makes sense. If you look at our org, D isn't exactly where we're week in prospects. We also stand to lose these guys if we don't start using them. I think they're all ready. If not there's alway the trading deadline to bring in a vet for the playoffs.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Beaulieu-Weaver/Robidas
Nygren

Tinordi back in Hamilton until we find a trade for either Emelin or Gorges for a true RHD.

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
He's not preventing anyone from moving forward, coaches have 1 job, its simple, win games. He will put the best players on the ice to help him accomplish this job, a bunch of rookies will not help and they will only play if they are better, in the coaches eyes, then someone else on the roster. You cannot win with too many rookies. I remember something from a few years ago, someone did a study, basically for every rookie in your lineup it will cost you a certain number of games, I cannot remember the number, 2 losses per rookie maybe?

Tell that to the '86 Habs:naughty:

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
More importantly, why couldn't you have just assessed his point and carried the conversation instead of derailing what he wanted to talk about to point out a minute detail?

I know right?

As for the lineup.. probably something like this:

Emelin - Subban
Markov - Gilbert
Tinordi/Beaulieu - Weaver
Pateryn

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
When Therrien put Markov and Subban together they were soo great together, but the issue he split them up was because the second pair with Gorges and Emelin couldn't move the puck, he said he wanted a puck mover on each pair.

With Gilbert in, who is a puck mover, but is soft, Emelin is going to be his partner, a Markov-Gilbert pair is just too soft.

So look for to atleast start the year..

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Gilbert
Beaulieu/Tinordi-Weaver

Apr 28, 2010
Ok seriously, the guy's name is Gorges godammit. He's been here for 8 years. How can you still not spell his name correctly.

Well, I know what you mean but you could've been a little nicer about it.. :laugh: like "Plekanek," "Patchioretty," "Georges.." it gets to me too.

But anyway, as for defense..

Markov/Emelin - Subban
Markov/Emelin - Gilbert
Beaulieu/Tinordi - Weaver

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->